Miles Austin

ddh33

Reaction score
In this new Mike Martz offense, I can't see why he can't put up big numbers ;)

In all seriousness, I think he's a very talented kid who works hard. Those guys usually end up climbing the depth chart.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I don't think he is a #2. I think his route running is not sharp. Good on long stuff. But not so good in coming out of his breaks. Rounds his routes off too much. He is much more effective just running deep stuff.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I doubt it.

Why? Because there is such a thing as a ceiling on potential. He made a big leap forward from previous years. How many "big leaps" do you figure anyone has? The cap is usually one.

SteveOS

Dedicated to Sports Gaming
Reaction score
I say why not give him a shot at #2 against the lowly Bengals. :)

To me, Crayton has always been a #3 and he fit that role perfectly when Glenn was here. Give Austin a shot and let's see what happens. Doubt that happens, but it's fun to play GM sometimes.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Hostile;2296093 said:
I doubt it.

Why? Because there is such a thing as a ceiling on potential. He made a big leap forward from previous years. How many "big leaps" do you figure anyone has? The cap is usually one.

But you gotta ask yourself where would he be if he went to a bigtime school in College.

He may have been a lot further along.

He has all kinds of athletic ability and in his 3rd year he has finally learned the position.

He has the abilities to make big plays and I just got a good feeling about him.

If you can catch, run routes, and have all those abilities than you ought to be pretty good.

Im as excited about him in this offense right now as I am with Bennett and Jones.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I think the more and more time he gets on the field the better and better shot he has to become a legit #2. I really think he could become a solid #2.

Eskimo

Reaction score
The thing I like about him so far is that when given the opportunity in important situations he has stepped up.

KOR against Seattle in the playoffs.

Forced PIs against GB last year that made a big difference in our biggest game of the regular season.

2 big catches against GB when TO was shut down

Big catch yesterday on the late crossing route when we needed the TD.

He seems like one of these guys who can step at crucial times and that is something that can't be taught. He also has size, speed and looks to have developed hands. With more repetitions hopefully route and defensive recognition will continue to improve.

He has put up 5 catches for 160 yards and 2 TDs the last two weeks since coming off that knee injury. That's a very good start to the year for him. Let's see if it continues to elevate his game. I would like to see him start getting more reps at #2 WR to see what he's got before we blow a load on a WR that we may not need when there are more glaring deficiencies (ILB, NT, OL depth).

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2296160 said:
I think the more and more time he gets on the field the better and better shot he has to become a legit #2. I really think he could become a solid #2.

Right now I dont know if there is a limit you can put on Miles Austin.

Im really asking this question way to early but he has all the tools to do some special stuff.

Hes a hard worker too. Im really excited about all the things he brings to the table.

bbailey423;2296089 said:
I don't think he is a #2. I think his route running is not sharp. Good on long stuff. But not so good in coming out of his breaks. Rounds his routes off too much. He is much more effective just running deep stuff.

Hes actually be solid in the possesion type stuff too.

Every opportunity we have gave him this year he has shined.

ddh33

Reaction score
Hasn't Ray Sherman said glowing things about him? I thought Sherman had commented about how he could be a number one someday? Anyway, if Ray is saying that, I'll go on that.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
ddh33;2296201 said:
Hasn't Ray Sherman said glowing things about him? I thought Sherman had commented about how he could be a number one someday? Anyway, if Ray is saying that, I'll go on that.

He is also the guy that Romo told Galloway could step up and do big things.

As a natural Rookie he was far more unprepared than other Rookies because he came from such a podunk College.

Its his 3rd year and he has been pretty spectacular for what we have asked.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
CATCH17;2296073 said:
Can he grow into a #2?

Why or why not?

I've been saying for awhile now that he has the potential to be a good #1.

Physically, he's definitely capable of being a good #1 and he has shown some HUGE improvement since his first year, but he still has a ways to go.

But he works hard and he has the potential. Him having a TD the last couple of games should help his confidence a lot and that will help him improve even more.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Hostile;2296093 said:
I doubt it.

He made his first "Big Leap" with barely getting any actual playing time.

That's the hardest one.

Now, with playing time, he'll make another leap. How big? Time will tell.

But he DOES have the potential to be a good #1. There's no doubting that.

He needs more work on route running (although I think he's already a better route runner than Roy Williams), coverage recognition (this is hardest for young WRs to learn), and ALL WRs could always improve their hands so I'd like to see him continue to work on the JUGS machine.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Hostile;2296093 said:
I doubt it.

I think he can. His leap this year, I think was his hands. He decided to make it a point to catch better. If you limit him to that, then his poential alone was only speed.

Even on his 100+ yard night, I saw some poor route running. Route running skills can be taught. You add great routes with his speed, size, strength, hand hands and you will have a very good receiver. Depending on how good he gets on route running skills, then he has all the tools to be a #2, but even a #1.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Yes, because he is in the 3rd year....fast.....strong....and mostly knows his routes and confident.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
he's from Monmouth

Only reason he's on our roster is cause Jerry refuses to draft a WR.

superpunk

Reaction score
Bill Parcells was all about what a fantastic physical specimen he was.

I'm with Bill.

Miles' ceiling is unlimited.