Military history book written by zone member

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Promo text follows. Guys, this is my first book. It took 2.5 years to write and I interviewed 120 veterans. I signed the contract with Naval Institute Press last July and I had until mid-September to finish writing the book. I worked almost around the clock as the deadline neared and felt guilty taking the time to watch the Dallas-Jax season opener last year, but I did anyway. Needless to day I sent the book in on time. It officially comes out May 8 but it can be pre-ordered now from Amazon, bn.com, or several other sites. Check out my website. It has a list of signings and other appearances.

Inside the Danger Zone:
The U.S. Military in the Persian Gulf 1987-88
Naval Institute Press May 2007. ISBN 978-1591-14970-5
www.insidethedangerzone.com

By Harold Lee Wise

Inside the Danger Zone is the untold “first chapter” of the ongoing United States military involvement in the Persian Gulf.

In May 1987, an Iraqi plane fired two missiles into a U.S. Navy frigate on patrol in the Gulf. The missiles severely damaged the ship and killed thirty-seven sailors. This deadly attack heralded the beginning of a new era in U.S. Middle Eastern policy.

From then until the end of the Iran-Iraq War, American forces carried out an unprecedented series of military operations in the Gulf. A planned tanker protection mission evolved into a naval quasi-war with Iran, culminating in America’s largest sea-air battle since World War II.

Inside the Danger Zone is a history of the U.S. military in the Persian Gulf in 1987 and 1988—a time of burning ships, air strikes, and secret missions. Based largely on first-hand accounts from veterans of that era, it is an up-close, detailed report from the front lines of “a guerrilla war at sea.” Many of the dramatic incidents of this period are told in depth with new information and details never before seen in print.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
That's cool lc... I might just give it a read...

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
trickblue;1457245 said:
That's cool lc... I might just give it a read...

There is an excerpt on the web site, just enough to whet the reader's appetite I hope.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I plan to do my preorder of it this weekend. I am still going to have it sent to your house for an autograph. I will also send you the cost of shipping it to me.

trickblue

Reaction score
lurkercowboy;1457305 said:
There is an excerpt on the web site, just enough to whet the reader's appetite I hope.

I read it... it sounds like an interesting book...

ologan

Reaction score
Will I be able to pick up a copy at Half Price Books?

ologan

Reaction score
Seriously,I will most probably find a copy to read. wish you were going to have book signings in or around Atlanta,cause I'd sure buy a fellow Bearkat lunch! Good luck with it.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
ologan;1457855 said:
Seriously,I will most probably find a copy to read. wish you were going to have book signings in or around Atlanta,cause I'd sure buy a fellow Bearkat lunch! Good luck with it.

Go Bearkats! To people who have never heard of SHSU I always say, well you have heard of the Dallas Cowboys right? Their starting free safety played at SHSU.

Speaking of Atlanta, I might be on the Martha Zoller show at some point.

trickblue

Reaction score
lurkercowboy;1458125 said:
Go Bearkats! To people who have never heard of SHSU I always say, well you have heard of the Dallas Cowboys right? Their starting free safety played at SHSU.

Speaking of Atlanta, I might be on the Martha Zoller show at some point.

NCAASTE.jpg

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Congrats on the book Harold, that's very cool. A buddy of mine gave me a heads-up on it a few months back. We're both looking forward to picking up a copy.

A Stumpy Point'r huh? I dropped a few lbs of concrete on your neighbors there at Dare prior to leaving for the Gulf in 85, and again in 87.

If you get to Dallas on a signing, pm me, and we'll see if we can't get you down to The Frontiers of Flight Museum at Love Field for a quick look see. You'd enjoy it I'm bettin', and there are always some really interesting characters hanging around down there, just itching to spin a yarn or twelve! ;)

p.s. Do you happen to know a Matt Frazier from Sam? He's my cousin, a grad from probably 98 or 99, and now is a grad student and a member of the staff in the Computer Services Dept.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Taps-n-1;1484202 said:
Congrats on the book Harold, that's very cool. A buddy of mine gave me a heads-up on it a few months back. We're both looking forward to picking up a copy.

A Stumpy Point'r huh? I dropped a few lbs of concrete on your neighbors there at Dare prior to leaving for the Gulf in 85, and again in 87.

If you get to Dallas on a signing, pm me, and we'll see if we can't get you down to The Frontiers of Flight Museum at Love Field for a quick look see. You'd enjoy it I'm bettin', and there are always some really interesting characters hanging around down there, just itching to spin a yarn or twelve! ;)

p.s. Do you happen to know a Matt Frazier from Sam? He's my cousin, a grad from probably 98 or 99, and now is a grad student and a member of the staff in the Computer Services Dept.

Hey, you flew right over me lots of times I'll bet. It was a game with us Pointer kids to be the first to identify the kind of planes that constantly flew overhead back in the day.

Never met Matt, but the SHSU computer dept is first class.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
lurkercowboy;1484238 said:
Hey, you flew right over me lots of times I'll bet. It was a game with us Pointer kids to be the first to identify the kind of planes that constantly flew overhead back in the day.

Very likely. "low-n-slow" over the beach there at SP was a very popular request on those last W-2-E runs, especially around late June/July. :p:

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Taps-n-1;1484261 said:
Very likely. "low-n-slow" over the beach there at SP was a very popular request on those last W-2-E runs, especially around late June/July. :p:

It was a great place to grow up.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Hey...congrats!

I'm going to order a copy...for sure.

Get your sorry butt to NY for a book signing.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Juke99;1489746 said:
Hey...congrats!

I'm going to order a copy...for sure.

Get your sorry butt to NY for a book signing.

I have two signings in NY. Not on the web site as yet. They are:

June 11 7:30 PM at the B&N on Richmond Ave on Staten Island
June 12 7:00 PM at the B&N in Bay Plaza in the Bronx