Mock Draft

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
a little, different spin from most of the mocks I've seen

1A. LSU DT Glen Dorsey

imposing physical specimen that can hold his own against the run, as well as make plays in the backfield, prospects such as him come around every 5 years

1B. Arizona CB Antoine Cason

athletic, shut-down type CB, good value for late 1st, Henry just can't be counted on to stay healthy, so we need more quality depth

2. Alabama WR DJ Hall

tall, deep threat who had 1,000+ yards and averaged 17 yards a catch as a Junior, this year is on pace to again reach 1,000 yards, is averaging 95.5 yards receiving a game, although his ypc is down, but it's still a healthy 14.9 yard average, today had 13 grabs for 185 yards against Tennessee

3. Georgia Tech RB Tashard Choice

the ACC's leading returning rusher from last year, has good speed, was averaging 120 yards a game and 5.3 yards a carry before hurting his knee and leaving against Army today, knee injury may keep him out the rest of the year, and will cause his stock to drop

I'll stop here, I'm not a college football connasieur by any means

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
not bad Bob......however, if Tank pans out, I don't see us needing a DT in the draft this year. Tank and Ratliff are both young. Fergie will be back next year as our savvy vet. Of course, all of this hinges on the success of Tank.

It seems everyone is drawing their lines in the sand as far as CB goes. I am lost as to who I want. However, I know I don't want King. He is officially off my list. I also don't want Tribble, cause he is a midget (he may turn out to be great, but let someone else have his tiny self). I am not sold on Talib either. I like what I have seen out of Malcolm Jenkins, Mike Jenkins, Reggie Smith, Terrell Thomas and Chevis Jackson. I haven't seen, but I have heard some very good things about Dwight Lowery and that Cromartie kid. I know absolutely ZERO about Cason.

I feel bad for Hall. He seems to have all the tools to be a great WR, well everything except a QB worth a damn to throw him the ball.

RB is another area of heated debate. Everyone is going cuckoo for cocoa puffs over McFadden. Yes he may be a great back, but he won't be around when we pick. I don't care for Stewart or Slaton. I think both have bust written all over them. I do like these players: Ray Rice, Mike Hart (though he is very injury prone), Reshard Mendenhall, Felix Jones, Yvenson Bernard, and I even have a little love for that Savage kid....I have not seen Choice run at all this year. I cannot comment on whether or not I like him.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
I might get flamed for this, but here goes............... I'm not so sure we need a cb. I think Henry, TNew, and Reeves are all solid. Could we upgrade Nate? Sure, but who in this league has a good 4th corner? Nobody. Good corners don't grow on trees.

Yes, I'm a little concered about Henry alway getting hurt, but what the real problem with our secondary? Its not our Cb's, its our safeties. Its been a problem for years. I've defended RW for years, but I won't do it anymore. He is done in my eyes. He looks like a fish outta water back there. Sorry if that upsets some of you, but take the blinders off and look at him.

Imagine this team with an Ed Reed or bob sanders FS back there. How much better would our D be if we had real safeties? A TON better.

I think our areas of need are
S
Tackle (probably left, however Columbo has regressed as well)
WR
RB

Im I can put my GM hat on for a minute....
Get Micheal Turner in Free Agency for RB. Turner and MB3 would be great

WIth our two #1 picks I take the best Safety then best Tackle I can get

Second round take the best RB left (there will be plenty because this draft is deep in RB's)

3rd round best CB or WR available.

Just my two cents.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
big dog cowboy;1727817 said:
If we go DL with 1A............. :banghead:

Yes...I think I would be a little upset as well.

If we go defense I think it would be the secondary as we have put enough resources into the D-Line and LB corps over the last few years.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
If we draft DE Chris Long I will be stoked....he is awesome. Do I care if DE is not a position of need, NO. He is the only DL I would take in the first round.

Now if it came down to having Chris Long and Malcolm Jenkins on the board at the same time, around pick 11 or 12, I take Jenkins.

In fact, I would be completely stoked if we used 1A on Malcolm Jenkins and 1B on Mike Jenkins. I would like to use our 2nd and 4th round picks on RB. In the 2nd we may be able to get Savage, Rice, Hart, Mendenhall (if he declares). In the 3rd, because of the injury, we may be able to steal Limas Sweed, but if not, maybe that Hardy kid from Indiana will be there (he may not be the fastest guy, but you cant teach size (6'5"). what an excellent red zone target he would be.) In the 4th, I want Yvenson Bernard from Or St. He is one of the best all-purpose backs in college. He runs and receives equally as well. In the last 3 rounds, we can get a backup Center, a QB project, and a LB.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bob, that'd be a fine draft, but the problem is it's completely unrealistic. All of those players will be gone well before those picks (except for Choice).

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1728832 said:
Bob, that'd be a fine draft, but the problem is it's completely unrealistic. All of those players will be gone well before those picks (except for Choice).

says you...

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I'll play:

1a.: Malcolm Jenkins cb--Very good speed and physical.

1b. Mario Mannigham wr--I was hoping he would fall into the second round, but I doubt it now seeing he is coming out of his early season funk. Marvin Harrison type???

2. Jason Shirley, nt--330 lbs monster who will allow Tank to move outside.

3. Justin Forsett, rb--True change of pace to Marion the Barberian, who is also a strong kick returner. Good character and leader to boot.

3a. Jonathan Goff, ILB--I am banking on the Cowboys getting a high compensatory pick for the inevitable departure of Flo Adams. Goff is a perfect 3-4, good size, very intelligent and quick enough to be every down 'backer.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Man, if we get Dorsey and Cason, I'll be estatic. However, I think Dorsey will be a top-5 pick

As for Cason, he is rated anywhere between top-10 pick to mid 20s, so it's hard to say, it will depend on his pro workout. We might have a chance to get Cason with Cleveland's pick at around ~15th pick or so, but if he continue to play well, he might be a top-10 pick, which means we could miss out on both of them, depending on Browns' record.

1A Cason or Justin King
1B Early Doucet or Steve Slaton

I can't decide yet. :p:

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
Mines Go Like This

1a - Darren McFadden - Arkansas - I believe he's a good player that can play the position like the back of his hand. He does it all.

1b - James Hardy - Indiana - He is 6-7 220 and he's fast, runs routes good, and has a knack for the ball. Is a leaper. I believe he's the Randy Moss of this wide receiver class.

MagicMan

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys need to take a flyer (around 6th round pick) on SS Drew Kelson from Texas....this guy has the talent to play like RW but can cover as well. 6'2 215... He has not been used well by Mack Brown and never reached his potential at UT, which is why he may fall to the lower rounds.

I think he is going to be a very good SS in the NFL...with playmaking ability.
Sure hope we can snag him. Of course for some reason, we don't seem to take Texas boys.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1730624 said:
*points to CZ mock draft trophy with smirk on face*

you can predict the draft in October?

btw, anyone watching Cory Boyd? he would be a perfect compliment to Barber

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1731819 said:
you can predict the draft in October?

btw, anyone watching Cory Boyd? he would be a perfect compliment to Barber
It's not going out on a limb to predict that Dorsey will be top 5 pick and that with the way Cleveland is playing we won't have a top 5 pick.

Nor is it a stretch to think that Cason and DJ Hall will be long gone by those picks. Cason looks like a mid-first rounder and Hall is borderline first rounder.

It's much more likely that we're picking Cason with Cleveland's and Hall with our late first.