Mock Round 2

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Well it looks like we've moved up the ranks since I last posted my mock. I will now assume we pick from the 18-25 range.

1st Round. Anthony Davis LT Rutgers.
This years class is really deep and I think this guy can be had in the late first or early second. I would trade down and compile an extra 3rd and 5th in the process. We need a Flo replacement ASAP and Davis can play LT very well. It's time to get a blue chip LT for the next 10 years.

2nd Round. Mardy Gilyard WR Cincy
I would take that extra 3rd I got from the Davis deal and use it to move up and grab this guy. I had him in my last mock and is my biggest pet cat this year. Gamechanger on special teams and offense. Perfect slot reciever that can stretch the field and be used in various ways.

3rd Round. Mike Johnson OG Alabama
Proctor and Holland will most likely not be signed after this year. We need OL depth and he could serve as a backup and potentially take over for Kosier in 2011. It's time to get youth at this position. He's a bulldozer and would fit our scheme nicely.

4th Round.Devin McCourty CB Rutgers
You can never have enough corners. I've seen him play several times when watching Davis and he always sticks out. He likes to bait the receivers and then make a play on the ball. Not super fast but just a solid smart corner.Good open field tackler.

5th Round. Malcolm Sheppard DT/DE Arkansas
With Hatcher,Bowen and Spears all FA, there will be a need to refill the depth. High motor and is quick to get to the backfield. Had 6.5 sacks from the DT position in 2008 and averaged 1.3 tackles a loss per game. He never seems to give up on plays and will serve quality depth.

6th Round. Erik Cook C New Mexico
Ryan Cooks younger brother. Anchored a OL in 2008 that allowed 14 sacks the entre year. (Tied 118th out of 120 FBS teams). Serve as depth behind Gurode and possibly groomed to take over. No more Proctor!

7th Round.Jeffry Fitzgerald DT/DE Kansas State
Much like the 5th round selection we will need DL depth. Started opposite Chris Long at Virgina before transferring. High motor guy that could play NT or DE in the 3-4.

Sensy resigned and Dawan Landry signed as a FA:D

SLATE for GM???

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Have to say I like it. While I don't have the same players, I've got nearly the same thoughts on positions taken and round. Right now I have:

1. Jason Fox LT/Miami
2. Jordan Shipley WR-Returns/Texas, prefer Golden Tate here, but think he'll be gone, would be fine with Gilyard here too.
3.Myron Lewis CB-FS/Vanderbilt
4.Eric Olsen OC-OG/Notre Dame
5. I don't think Dallas has a 5th and din't go past this point, but DE & DT would certainly be something I'd be looking at.

I'd prefer Nick Collins/Green Bay or Antoine Bethea/Indy over Landry. Love Landry, but he's more of a SS.

Shady12

Reaction score
Curious why so many are picking receivers in the top couple rounds. Roy ain't going anywhere, Crayton is perfect as the #3/slot guy, and Austin, well..yeah. So why draft someone who won't crack the top 3? Ogletree may be a player as well if he gets a shot..and the fact that he may not shows that we don't need receivers.

I'd go

1- T
2- ILB/G

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Shady12;3052040 said:
Curious why so many are picking receivers in the top couple rounds. Roy ain't going anywhere, Crayton is perfect as the #3/slot guy, and Austin, well..yeah. So why draft someone who won't crack the top 3? Ogletree may be a player as well if he gets a shot..and the fact that he may not shows that we don't need receivers.

I'd go

1- T
2- ILB/G

Because Crayton is 31 years old and his contract is up after next year.

Not to mention you can never have too many offensive weapons. Plus Roy's got about 3 more years on this team before he's cut. Gilyard will be 25 by then and be in his prime to take over. Just looking ahead:cool:

rkell87

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3052235 said:
looks good, although I don't like projecting Juniors in drafts

dont think that applies this year, anybody who is any good who isnt gonna be making a run at the title next year(and some that are) are gonna come out this year due to the cba. this will be the strongest draft in at least 5 years, but the next one will prolly be the weakest.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
LT
WR
C/G

Top 3 areas of focus, me likey...

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
CowboyFan74;3057745 said:
LT
WR
C/G

Top 3 areas of focus, me likey...

No Free Safety? Yikes. Have you seen this guy....

derrick-ward-buccaneers-428a6b808d9cae69_large.jpg

reddyuta

Reaction score
we are pretty much set at receiver,atleast for the next year.it would shock me if we drafted a WR in the 2nd rd when we have so many pressing needs.i think we are not going to draft any receivers at all.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
reddyuta;3059002 said:
we are pretty much set at receiver,atleast for the next year.it would shock me if we drafted a WR in the 2nd rd when we have so many pressing needs.i think we are not going to draft any receivers at all.

I'd have to disagree although miles is having a break out yet the other WR aren't producing. Besides bringing in more talent at the WR position is never a bad thing. We can't sit on our hands and expect the players we have to develop and bust out like how miles has.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3052144 said:
Because Crayton is 31 years old and his contract is up after next year.

Not to mention you can never have too many offensive weapons. Plus Roy's got about 3 more years on this team before he's cut. Gilyard will be 25 by then and be in his prime to take over. Just looking ahead:cool:

plus Hurd's contract is up this year