Monday Night: W/L rests on shoulders of...

Chuck 54

Reaction score
the coaching staff.

This game is so evenly matched:

Cowboys off and on defense against the top rusher in the NFL, Barber.

Cowboys off but more often on secondary against good receivers and an very good, mobile, but erratic, QB.

Cowboys passing game against Giants weak secondary and sometimes scary pass rush.

Cowboys improved run game against Giants front 7.

Special teams?

Nope...some players will play very well tonight, and some will play poorly, but it won't be because some prepared and some didn't show up ready to play on national TV on Monday Night Football with the division lead at stake...oh no, both teams will be emotionally ready.

This is a game that rests squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff, the whole staff, not just Parcells. The players who excell will be the players whose coaches put them in a position to succeed. The players who never get it going on either side of the ball will struggle because their coaches were outcoached, outprepared, and beaten at the game of adjustments.

I sincerely hope we are not outcoached because we should win this divisional game between evenly matched teams on our home field with our home crowd. Lose the game, and the first knee-jerk reaction will be to blame the safeties or the QB or the OL...if the unthinkable occurs, step back and ask yourself if the coaches did what was necessary to protect our QB, get the ball into the playmakers hands, keep the defense off balance, stuff the run, and prevent the big plays downfield.

However, on a side note, who among our coaches brings the fire to players who want to be sky high? It's easy to say players should get up for the game, they're professionals, but we all know some coaches are better than others at giving the firey pregame speech...Landry had his Ernie Stautner and others who brought the intensity to the sideline...not every coach is a Cowher. Parcells does not bring that intensity at his age...nor does he seem interested in it...who on our staff gets a little crazy in the locker room or pregame? I'm sure there's someone.

I usually credit or blame the players for winning or losing, but tonight I think the game is on the shoulders of the coaches, what they did this week, and what they do during the game.

Go Cowboys !!! Get on top of the division...don't pull a clunker at home on Monday night.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
I partially agree with this...the other side is that the players need to EXECUTE...

The coaches can only do so much...the players must execute what the game plan is.

Most of the time we would never know what the game plan really is if the players are not able to perform...

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think I will wait until after the game before I give praise or blame.

The coaching staff could have the perfect game plan in place but if WRs are dropping balls, if players are fumbling balls, if Drew is throwing ints, if the O-Line is not blocking and so on.

I know it is fun to go out on a limb and all of that jazz, but sometimes I think it is just best to wait until the game is played before "putting it on (insert names here) shoulders"

:starspin

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
quick!
someone turn this into a bledsoe bashing thread!

but on a serious note, wayne_motley i agree with you
I think this game depends a lot on what we do to stop the giants fearsom D Ends. I would like to see some screens to JJ tonight.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic;1107574 said:
I partially agree with this...the other side is that the players need to EXECUTE...

The coaches can only do so much...the players must execute what the game plan is.

Most of the time we would never know what the game plan really is if the players are not able to perform...

But that's just it....we don't have the same lame players we used to have. We have good to very good players at every position on defense...these are guys that have strengths and weaknesses...when you continually let your safeties cover WRs 1-1, that's coaching...when you can't design a blitz that works, that's coaching...there are no perfect players, but we all believe we have very good personel...it's the coaches job to put them in the position to do well and avoid situations that expose them and the team.

The same is true of the offense...Bledsoe is what he is, just like 90% of all the QB's in the league, some who are more mobile but have weak arms, some who can't make all the throws or read defenses. Bledsoe isn't mobile, but I would not trade him right now for Jake Plummer or quite a few other starting QBs. If Bledsoe gets sacked for holding the ball for 6 seconds and not throwing it away, that's on him. If he gets sacked while dropping back, that's either on an OL breakdown or the coaches. Those sacks we took when we were running a set with no one in the backfield except Bledsoe...I definitely put that on the coaches. I'll also say that a bevy of sacks in the 2nd half is on the coaches for not making adjustments to the game plan or blocking schemes.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1107593 said:
I think I will wait until after the game before I give praise or blame.

The coaching staff could have the perfect game plan in place but if WRs are dropping balls, if players are fumbling balls, if Drew is throwing ints, if the O-Line is not blocking and so on.

I know it is fun to go out on a limb and all of that jazz, but sometimes I think it is just best to wait until the game is played before "putting it on (insert names here) shoulders"

:starspin

Point well-taken Brain, but my point is that this is not an ordinary game or trap game that some players don't prepare for and drop lots of passes, losing concentration, or fumble because they're not protecting the ball, or throw to the wrong receiver because they've never seen that coverage before. I'm going out on a limb and suggesting that the players will be more than ready and intense for this key home game.

I could be proven wrong...if that's the case, then we are truly a team unlikely to have a decent season because to me it would mean we still have players who either "choke" or "don't know how" to prepare for and play in a big game.

I don't want to believe that.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Parcells and Coughlin meet at midfield for and exchange fisticuffs. Winner take all, loser enter a retirement home.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;1107671 said:
Parcells and Coughlin meet at midfield for and exchange fisticuffs. Winner take all, loser enter a retirement home.

haha...Coughlin would be lonely...at least Parcells would have his QB to keep him company when he's ready for the home.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Okay, we still have some holes in our personel, but this game certainly tells me all I need to know and verifies what I've thought all along.

Parcells and the entire staff have to be fired at the end of the season. He will probably blame it on mistakes and players, but our offensive coaches had no answer for the pass rush...2nd half the Giants are playing without Arrington, and Usi is in and out, dinged, but still pressuring us.

Bring in a coach with an attacking philosophy on both sides of the ball and hope he brings some creative assistants with him.

kdog

Reaction score
wayne_motley;1109607 said:
Okay, we still have some holes in our personel, but this game certainly tells me all I need to know and verifies what I've thought all along.

Parcells and the entire staff have to be fired at the end of the season. He will probably blame it on mistakes and players, but our offensive coaches had no answer for the pass rush...2nd half the Giants are playing without Arrington, and Usi is in and out, dinged, but still pressuring us.

Bring in a coach with an attacking philosophy on both sides of the ball and hope he brings some creative assistants with him.

OUTSTANDING POST!!!!!!!!:bow: