Monmouth Receiver Preps For Nfl Draft

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Link

MONMOUTH RECEIVER PREPS FOR NFL DRAFT
BY STEPHEN EDELSON
STAFF WRITER

WEST LONG BRANCH — It was a cool, breezy afternoon at Kessler Field, much like so many others during the four years wide receiver Miles Austin spent rewriting the Monmouth University record books.
And even though there wasn't a single fan in the shiny aluminum bleachers, only a handful of curious teammates, the final performance of his college career was still an important one.

During five seasons as the Green Bay Packers wide receivers coach, Ray Sherman was instrumental in developing Donald Driver, Robert Ferguson and Javon Walker. On Tuesday, Sherman, now the receivers coach with the Tennessee Titans, watched intently as Austin ran routes on the FieldTurf and hauled in passes from Monmouth assistant coach Chris Damian, before picking Austin's brain on the type of offense he's used to running.

The 150 receptions for 2,867 yards and 33 touchdowns Austin amassed for the Hawks are undeniable facts. But NFL scouts and coaches are a notoriously suspicious lot, and Austin's individual workout was a chance to do more homework on a player whose stock is on the rise with the NFL Draft just five weeks away.

But Austin's stellar performance at last month's scouting combine in Indianapolis, where he ran a 4.47-second 40-yard dash, the 13th fastest time among the receivers, uncorked a vertical leap of 40 1/2 inches and bench-pressed 225 pounds 21 times, put him in a Catch-22 situation.

He did so well only the Titans and Dallas Cowboys, represented by assistant director of pro scouting Brian Gaines, felt the need to see more at Monmouth, although Austin is expected to work out for several teams at their training facilities in the weeks leading up to the draft.

"This is good for me because I really get a chance to work with a kid firsthand," said Sherman, "and talk to him and feel him out as to what he knows. Miles is sharp and is bright-eyed. I got to ask him some questions to where he is as far as his development, and that helps us.

"He's definitely got some ability with his size and speed, and his hands looked very good out there."

At 6-foot-2 1/2, 215 pounds, Austin offers a rare combination of size, strength and speed. But workouts like the combine, where all 32 teams had their general manager and head coach in attendance, and Tuesday's session, go a long way toward dispelling any lingering doubts about his playing at the Division I-AA level.

"I thought it went really well out there," Austin said. "It's kind of like taking the SATs out there. They're trying to get as much information about you as they can to make their decision. But I thought I did well running and catching."

The draft, consisting of seven rounds, will be held April 29-30. Monmouth has never had a player selected.
"It's really not a question of whether or not he's going to be drafted, it's a matter of when he's going to be drafted," said Hadley Englehard, Austin's Atlanta-based agent. "But as I've told him, it's not about where you start, but where you finish."

"Basically, every team has contacted us wanting information on Miles," Monmouth coach Kevin Callahan said. "Some teams, like Miami and Denver, have been very interested. This is the first time we've had this much attention on one of our players."​