Moral dilemma: The stolen nine thousand dollars

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
One day you go to the bank you normally go to. However, strangely, it's closed even though it's during their open hours. You also see people inside it. Annoyed, you leave. You then hear from a police bulletin that that bank was robbed. The thief got away with 9 thousand dollars. You wonder who would be crooked enough to do a thing like that, but there's nothing you can do about it, so you just go to the bank's other branch to conduct your business. They already have a poster about the robbery at the other branch. It contains a security photo of the robber wearing a ski mask. However, the man's posture and physique look familiar to you. You shrug it off.
Later on, you go over to your brother's house. He's like, "Hey, man, check this out," and he shows you a huge pile of cash. "How much is that?" you ask. He says, "Nine grande." You think, "Oh, crap." However, you brush aside those thoughts as stupid. This is your brother, after all, not some criminal. You say, "Lucky hand at blackjack?" He says, "No way, I robbed the US National Bank this morning. Ha ha ha. It was so easy. Now we can take that vacation to the Island of Martinique like we've been wanting to. "
You blow your top. You yell at your brother about what a stupid thing that was to do, and that they have security footage. You demand that he give the money back, but he refuses. You leave in a huff. Later on, you get a call from your brother. To your surprise, he says, “You were right. I decided to return the money.” He says he did it anonymously so that he won't get caught. He hired a courier service to bring the money back in a package, not telling him what was inside, of course. He paid a bunch of money for the courier to simply deliver it and keep his mouth shut. However, the bank never gets their money back. The courier figured out what it was and simply pocketed the money for himself.
Then the cops put out a bulletin that there's a reward of 20 grand for anyone who gives information that leads to the arrest of the perp.
What do you do? You could turn in your own brother and get 20K. You could travel to Martinique Island, and plenty of other great places. Twenty grande ain't too shabby. However, the obvious down side is that your brother will probably go to prison if you squeal. Plus, your brother doesn't even have the money anymore. The crooked courier does.

What do you do? Here are some possibilities. Choose one of them, or come up with your own answer:
1. Brother or not, he's a criminal. Turn him in and collect 20K.
2. He's your brother, for God's sake, and he repented and tried to give the money back. If you turn him in, the bank probably won't get their money back anyway. So you keep your big, fat mouth shut.
3. Try to find the goony courier, and turn HIM in, claiming he's the one who robbed the bank, and you don't mention that your brother was involved.
4. Other. (Explain)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is easy. Answer: option #1.

Legally, it does not matter whether he is a sibling. The perpetrator confessed he committed a crime. Keeping the crime secret makes the secondary person an accessory after-the-fact.

A person, who is in that position, informs the authorities who committed the crime. They keep themselves from going to prison too as a result.

Afterwards, they collect the $20,000 reward and use it for bail money. He is his brother after all, right..?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
This is easy. Answer: option #1.

Legally, it does not matter whether he is a sibling. The perpetrator confessed he committed a crime. Keeping the crime secret makes the secondary person an accessory after-the-fact.

A person, who is in that position, informs the authorities who committed the crime. They keep themselves from going to prison too as a result.

Afterwards, they collect the $20,000 reward and use it for bail money. He is his brother after all, right..?
Does it make any difference to you that the brother attempted to return the money?

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
I'm not wealthy or anything but I am not bothering myself with that drama for 9K or 20K lol

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
Rumor on the street is that some dude, who works as a courier, stole the cash. Do you need my checking account number or will that $20k be in cash? Planning on taking a vacation with my brother and helping him find a job while we're there. Going to save the remainder of the cash to pay him a visit once he's settled. :cool::facepalm:

Xelda

Reaction score
For my brother; #4 I tell momma on him.
For my sister; #1 (twice)

1942willys

Reaction score
Its a problem for sure
Bottom line bluntly speaking is you. Now you know this. as long as only your brother knows you know, if worse comes to worse you lie and say you did not know
Honestly I would just tell him you want nothing to do with him now. He is a THREAT to you.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Its a problem for sure
Bottom line bluntly speaking is you. Now you know this. as long as only your brother knows you know, if worse comes to worse you lie and say you did not know
Honestly I would just tell him you want nothing to do with him now. He is a THREAT to you.
Honestly, what I think I would do is this. I tell my brother to not spend any of the money, and I'll help him get a lawyer to negotiate a surrender to the police. I would think it would be a lot better for him if he returned the money, and said he regretted making such a big mistake. I would think he would have a much greater chance of leniency if he did that than if he kept the money and tried to evade capture. However, if he refused to take my advice, I'm not turning my own brother in. I just couldn't do it. If he refuses, then I go get my own lawyer and listen to his advice. Maybe my lawyer advises me to turn him in; maybe he advises me to keep my big, fat mouth shut.

1942willys

Reaction score
Honestly, what I think I would do is this. I tell my brother to not spend any of the money, and I'll help him get a lawyer to negotiate a surrender to the police. I would think it would be a lot better for him if he returned the money, and said he regretted making such a big mistake. I would think he would have a much greater chance of leniency if he did that than if he kept the money and tried to evade capture. However, if he refused to take my advice, I'm not turning my own brother in. I just couldn't do it. If he refuses, then I go get my own lawyer and listen to his advice. Maybe my lawyer advises me to turn him in; maybe he advises me to keep my big, fat mouth shut.
Reasonable
the lawyer has a problem when you tell him that a person confessed to you that he committed a crime. While you are protected by lawyer/client confidentiality, I am not sure he is not required to report it to the police.
If you are going to do this say its hypothetical and do not tell him who did it and then see what he has to say

catiii

Reaction score
#3. Find the courier, then go totally Denzel Washington (The Equalizer) on him until he tells you where the 9K in cash is so it can be returned. Since you're a PT Lift driver, tell him you expect a 5 star rating. Then, finish him off in a Bruce Willis or Jason Stratham sort of way after you force him to write a confession that he robbed the bank and couldn't live with it so he drove his car off a 1500 ft Italian cliff into the Med. Keep what's left as a finder's fee. (Yanni Gogolack) :popcorn:

Last edited: