Most painful Super Bowls to watch that didn't involve the Cowboys?

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
What were the most painful Super Bowls to watch that didn't involve the Cowboys? Either painful because it was just a crummy football game to watch, maybe because one team fell flat on its face and offered no resistance in a blowout, or perhaps you were sick of the topics the media picked as the hot spots that particular year?

Super Bowl VIII - Dolphins 24, Vikings 7
VIIIbig.jpg

One of those games that is nominated only because one team failed to put up even a limp wrist in resistance. You know your defense doesn't deserve to be in the Super Bowl when the opposing quarterback (Bob Griese) only throws the ball 7 times and your team is still run over. For a short period, Miami had one of the greatest team running games in the history of the game.

Super Bowl IX - Steelers 16, Vikings 6
sb-steelers.jpg

Those poor Vikings fans. Before Buffalo showed America how to choke four times in a row, we had the Minnesota Vikings to demonstrate how not to win the big one. 119 yards of total offense for the Vikings and a big contributor to a Hall of Fame full of 70's Steelers.

Super Bowl XX - Bears 46, Patriots 10
XX.jpg

Years later, the Pats had to hire a man like Bill Parcells to turn things around because the entire country would always remember that fateful day in Super Bowl XX when one of the best defenses ever assembled gave the Pats a butt whipping so painful, no one ever took New England serious again. When the Fridge is scoring touchdowns, that's a sign that you won't be wearing a diamond ring the next year.

Super Bowl XXII - Commanders 42, Broncos 10
s_john.jpg

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know Doug Williams became the first black QB to win the big one, and Timmy Smith had a miracle day but didn't Denver give up a record 4 touchdowns in the 2nd quarter? Watching a team fall apart, especially to your NFC East rivals, is about as painful as it gets. Elway should be thanking his lucky stars that Terrell Davis entered his life at the end of his career, or Elway would have had to face a Marino-esque Q&A session at his HOF induction regarding: "What's better? Winning a Super Bowl or getting a bust in Canton?"

Super Bowl XXIV - 49ers 55, Broncos 10
XXIVbig.jpg

A far cry from the drama of the year before when Joe Montana's last minute heroics beat the Bengals. I believe this was the Super Bowl that finally sent Broncos fans over the edge. They did their best **** book burning impression, only the piles were full of Elway jerseys in Denver after the third loss in four years in the Super Bowl.

Super Bowl XXIX - 49ers 49, Chargers 26

After watching the Cowboys come close to winning the NFC Championship even after geting off to an early 21-0 deficit, this had to be one of the most deflating Super Bowls ever for a Cowboys fan. Perhaps the most painful part was watching the media gush all over Steve Young and annoint him the next Montana and forgot how many times Aikman and Company had beat him into submission in the NFC Championships years before. If Jimmy had stayed another year, it would have been Cowboys 56, Chargers 7. San Diego didn't deserve to be in the big one that year but I guess it beats watching Buffalo get whipped again.

Super Bowl XXXIII - Broncos 34, Falcons 19
99021540.jpg

There's aren't many things as unappealing as the Falcons in the Super Bowl but you just knew it was all going to go wrong for Atlanta when the day before the game, Eugene Robinson was busted for soliciting a prostitute after receiving the Bart Starr Award given to players for "outstanding moral character." Sure, Jon Elway went out on top with the SB MVP, but Atlanta was one of those teams that left you scratching your head wondering, "How the heck did they make it that far?" I think a lot of QBs would have had a career game that day. I prefered the year before when a practically blind Terrell Davis pulled a Rocky and bulldozed his way to stardom and helped the underdog Broncos win it all.

Super Bowl XXXV - Baltimore 34, N.Y. Giants 17
a_rlewis_i.jpg

Another one of those "how the heck did they get to the big one" games. There seems to be a lot of Super Bowls like that in parity. I have a feeling several teams will be nominated for this notorious award before the decade is up. This time it was the Giants to look the fool on the national stage. No clear cut MVP so Ray Lewis wins as a nod to the defense that got the Ravens to the Super Bowl.

Super Bowl XL - Pittsburgh 21, Seattle 10
pl_259276.jpg

Bad football. Turnovers, mistakes, poor officiating. The media shoving Jerome Bettis down our throats. Hines Ward wins the MVP only because they have to give it to somebody. I hope you didn't drink too much at your Super Bowl XL party because you could get a nasty hangover while sober just by watching one of the most painful Super Bowls.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Has to be the 49ers vs Chargers.

We should have been in that and been the first team to win 3 or 4 straight superbowls.

Because we would have killed the chargers that year.

I remember the big thing in the media was that the Superbowl that year was really the NFC Championship.

arrgggg:mad:

DOOMSDAYREBORN

Reaction score
This past SB has to be the worst one, at least for me. Now there have been blowout but this one was just terrible. For Stevens to talk stuff, get called soft. Then go out and have the game that he had was unbelievable. A veteran QB that couldn't run a two minute. The officials, well I don't need to say anything about them.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:

We should have been in that and been the first team to win 3 or 4 straight superbowls.

I remember the big thing in the media was that the Superbowl that year was really the NFC Championship.

I would also have to say that was the worst SB for me to watch. We should have been there and would have won it easily as well.

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
Super Bowl XXV.........Bills lose to NY Giants

i wanted to see the Bills win and i wanted to see Bill lose.

That wide right field goal hurt to see.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Super Bowl XL - Pittsburgh 21, Seattle 10
pl_259276.jpg

Bad football. Turnovers, mistakes, poor officiating. The media shoving Jerome Bettis down our throats. Hines Ward wins the MVP only because they have to give it to somebody. I hope you didn't drink too much at your Super Bowl XL party because you could get a nasty hangover while sober just by watching one of the most painful Super Bowls.

That SHOULD be the eternal image of that game.

jbsg02

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:

:hammer: