Mountain out of a Mole Hill?

odog422

Reaction score
Plenty of good posts around about issues still needing to be addressed with this team. However, one I really haven't seen mentioned but more and more keeps coming back to my mind is special teams COVERAGE.

For some reason, everyday this is nagging at my hopes for the team more and more. We have, with this version of the Boys, returner options galore, and that's great.

But we seemed last year, IMO, to give up way too much yardage/field position due to poor coverage. Yeah there were some short kicks but too many times guys just had way too much room to run.

I think we have the athletes -- I think it's on the coaching. Remember Wade I think lost his job in Buffalo in large part because he wouldn't part with his special teams coach after the Music City Miracle.

So does this continue to be a major issue for us this year? Does Jerry have to step in and exert some pressure for Wade to take a second look in this area? I know Wade, we were 13-3. ;)

Or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm much more concerned about our kickoff coverage than our punt coverage. :cool:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
odog422;2101813 said:
Plenty of good posts around about issues still needing to be addressed with this team. However, one I really haven't seen mentioned but more and more keeps coming back to my mind is special teams COVERAGE.

For some reason, everyday this is nagging at my hopes for the team more and more. We have, with this version of the Boys, returner options galore, and that's great.

But we seemed last year, IMO, to give up way too much yardage/field position due to poor coverage. Yeah there were some short kicks but too many times guys just had way too much room to run.

I think we have the athletes -- I think it's on the coaching. Remember Wade I think lost his job in Buffalo in large part because he wouldn't part with his special teams coach after the Music City Miracle.

So does this continue to be a major issue for us this year? Does Jerry have to step in and exert some pressure for Wade to take a second look in this area? I know Wade, we were 13-3. ;)

Or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill?
I don't think you are at all. IMO this is the biggest weakness on this team and one of the reasons why I don't much like Bruce Read as a ST Coach. I hate seeing guys on PRs get a 5 yard running start to either side they choose. I hate seeing KRs taken almost to midfield by marginal return men.

IMO our coverage units take some strange angles to reach the impact zone and they are doing it way too slowly. Give me a Kenny Gant or Bill Bates who bust the wedge and rip out hearts.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Special Teams are one of our biggest weaknesses.....but, we should be much improved with the talent and speed we have added.

IndianaCowboyFan

The Bullet
Reaction score
Hostile;2101824 said:
Give me a Kenny Gant or Bill Bates who bust the wedge and rip out hearts.

Spoiled aren't we. Lets hope their replacements are on the roster already.

odog422

Reaction score
Hostile;2101824 said:
I don't think you are at all. IMO this is the biggest weakness on this team and one of the reasons why I don't much like Bruce Read as a ST Coach. I hate seeing guys on PRs get a 5 yard running start to either side they choose. I hate seeing KRs taken almost to midfield by marginal return men.

IMO our coverage units take some strange angles to reach the impact zone and they are doing it way too slowly. Give me a Kenny Gant or Bill Bates who bust the wedge and rip out hearts.

Thanks I feel the same in terms of this team's biggest weakness. Yes it does seem like their angles are poor, I mean, really poor. There seems to always be these huge gaps in the coverage.

Also, wasn't Anderson doing a pretty good job wedge busting before he got hurt? Or was that shoddy reporting? Because I thought I read that. Of course, if you look at what was happening on the field....

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
odog422;2101977 said:
Thanks I feel the same in terms of this team's biggest weakness. Yes it does seem like their angles are poor, I mean, really poor. There seems to always be these huge gaps in the coverage.
Some ST Coaches teach to run in waves. This way there are layers of potential tacklers in case the KR/PR breaks free of the first wave. Some teach to gun full blast. This means everyone getting downfield as fast as they possibly can. Read seems to teach some form of waves based on occupied zones. It annoys me.

odog422

Reaction score
Hostile;2101981 said:
Some ST Coaches teach to run in waves. This way there are layers of potential tacklers in case the KR/PR breaks free of the first wave. Some teach to gun full blast. This means everyone getting downfield as fast as they possibly can. Read seems to teach some form of waves based on occupied zones. It annoys me.

It sounds like it has the potential for discombobulation and confusion. Which maybe explains why we see what we see on the field.