Must win game??

Boysboy

Reaction score
Audiman;2464973 said:
didn't see a thread for this yet, so I had to make one...

11-5 MAY not cut it this year in the NFC. Yeah-we've been saying all year how Carolina, Tampa, and Atlanta will come back down to earth...so if it hasn't happened yet, it like won't happen. Hate to admit it, but it's the truth.

Yes-we NEED to WIN this game.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Not saying it wont happen, but I think there's never been an 11-5 team miss the playoffs since they changed to 16 game schedules in 1978.

I think we'd probably get in at 11-5, especially if the 5th loss isnt a NFC los.

Boysboy

Reaction score
dbair1967;2464992 said:
Not saying it wont happen, but I think there's never been an 11-5 team miss the playoffs since they changed to 16 game schedules in 1978.

I think we'd probably get in at 11-5, especially if the 5th loss isnt a NFC los.

It happened in 1985-Denver missed the playoffs despite an 11-5 record.

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
We're "whistling through the graveyard" thinking 11-5. I hope it can be done. I think it can be done..............
But you couldn't buy a tougher last four games than these for Dallas.
See, this is what happens when you blow games against the "Rams" of this world and the "Cardinals" of this world. And, when you blow a very winnable game against a crappy Commander team.
You end up in December, fighting for your playoff life, and nobody remembers "WHY"!!!! There's only 16 games in the NFL season. So every game counts. But come December, those stupid and unforgivable loss's the first half of the season.................they come back to haunt you big time.
Don't think for a second that we won't be going into Philly the last week of the season, needing to win by more than 11 points, and needing Atlanta and Carolina both to lose (so something like that).
And, it's a shame. Fighting for your playoff life; maybe even "backing" into the playoffs...................
We shouldn't even be in this position at this point of the season. We should be something along the lines of 11-1 with a little breathing room. But no. Of course not. We're all gonna' have to suffer through every quarter from here to the end simply to see if we can get a wild card...............
I don't need this crap.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Boysboy;2465002 said:
It happened in 1985-Denver missed the playoffs despite an 11-5 record.

I stand corrected, it did happen that yr. However that was the only yr its ever happened in either conference and that was under the format where only 5 teams made the playoffs, it changed again in 1990 to allow 6 teams per conference in, and since then no 11-5 has missed the playoffs.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Seattle missed the playoffs with an 11-5 record in the early to mid 1980s. However, it won't happen this year. If we go 11-5, we will be in the playoffs.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
well if we are talking history.

The cowboys have never in their existence missed the playoffs when starting 8-4

Audiman

Reaction score
I was actually starting this thread as a joke. just thought I'd throw that out there.

Sickwitit

Reaction score
I think it would be a must win if it were in the NFC, but if we dont want other teams decieding our fate we must win!!! LETS GET IT!!!

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
No, this is not a MUST WIN game or season over.

We can take an AFC loss and as long as we win the remaining 3 games, we should get a Wildcard.

However, losing to the Steelers MAKES EVERY GAME REMAINING A MUST WIN.

lspain1

Reaction score
Yes, a loss here means a loss of confidence entering what has turned into a crucial stretch run. The playoffs start now.

yrades

Reaction score
Dallas needs to play a game like this. We will find out today whether we have what it takes to get through december and into the playoffs. If Dallas loses, get ready for the "Dallas plays bad in December" garbage from the media.

noletime95

Reaction score
I'm assuming its going to take 11-5. If the one loss is today, that would actually be good (note 12-4 would obviously be better). Let's assume either Tampa or Car. take one WC. The North and West are irralvent. That leaves Wash. and ATL.

IF the Boys lose today and win out, it will beat out Wash, even if both teams are tied at 11-5 by virtue of divisional record.

Dallas also currently has a 1 game lead in common opponents vs. ATL. However, ATL has the better conf record. ATL is done with AFC games. Dallas just needs ATL to lose ONE game (just as it does now) to finish ahead of them even with a loss vs. Pitt today. Both teams would have the same conf. record in that scenario. Dallas would win by virtue of record vs. common opponents. ATL needs Dallas to lose to the Gints or Igles to beat out Dallas at 11-5.

Bottom line assuming I'm right, and I believe I am, is Dallas controls its own destiny at the end of today if the Saints beat ATL, win or lose vs. Pitt.

Kaika

Have a Good Day Pilgrims
Reaction score
Maybe not a must win by the numbers but I'm not surer our psyche can take another hit as being a playoff team.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Well the season won't be over but this really should be viewed as a must win. We don't want to go into the Giants game knowing if we lose we are likely out of it. That game should be as tough or more than the Steelers game.

noletime95

Reaction score
I'm really starting to wonder if the staff is taking a conservative approach because the Giants and Eagles games might be must wins even if the Cowboys beat the Steelers and Ravens. 11-5 with wins over the Gints and Iggles means playoffs. 11-5 with another Divisional loss might not.

Gotta wonder.