My #1 draft "want" for next year

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Derrick Johnson - OLB - Texas

The man is a beast. Hopefully Buffalo loses about 11 or 12 games so we'll have a shot at him.

Roughneck

Reaction score
I've talked with some of the most diehard Aggies and Sooners walking this green Earth and even they admitted that they'd love to have him on their team. What's great is that I've had the chance to watch him play since his Junior year at Waco High. DJ is a true Physical Specimen and can easily be one of the Top 5 Linebackers in the game by only his third year in the League. I'd kill (preferably a Commanders fan or an Eagles fan) to have him wearing the star next season.

crazylegs

Benched
Reaction score
Roughneck said:
I've talked with some of the most diehard Aggies and Sooners walking this green Earth and even they admitted that they'd love to have him on their team. What's great is that I've had the chance to watch him play since his Junior year at Waco High. DJ is a true Physical Specimen and can easily be one of the Top 5 Linebackers in the game by only his third year in the League. I'd kill (preferably a Commanders fan or an Eagles fan) to have him wearing the star next season.

"I'd kill (preferably a Commanders fan or an Eagles fan)"

Rotflmao! :D

ghst187

Reaction score
someone starts a thread talking draft and i'm obligated to add my $0.02....

I very much agree about DJ, he's incredible and would provide some serious playmaking from our LB corps....finally. (Al "never hear my name called" Singleton, Dat "the gnat", and Dexter "I'd lose my job to Brady if he could stop hitting the wrong gap to fill".
The other thing is that an interesting fast fact says that Mack Brown (despite the fact he can't win the big game) has never lost a player early to the NFL, everyone stays a full four years, which means that Rod Wright, who is only a junior, very well may stay in school another year. If he doesn't, he should rank very high on our target list as he'd fill what is IMO our biggest need as well as be a top talent.
Back to DJ, if Wright stays in school, I'd rank DJ #3 on our target list. I'm a Sooner but I will admit that DJ is a class act and tremendous player.
I still contend that despite some glaring holes at several positions we have to draft BPA (minus say an OL , QB, or RB) with our first pick and here's my list.
#1 M Williams
#2 A Rolle
#3 DJ

DJ will probably go in the 5-9 pick range and M Williams and Rolle should be gone by then so we should have an excellent shot at him.

I'd like to see us go after Marlin Jackson with our second pick if we don't get Rolle. I think Rolle is the bigger playmaker but Jackson is a better pure cover CB.

PS, if we trade down I'll throw large heavy objects across the room. Hopefully we learned our lesson while a good number of rookies make their mark on the league this year, our draft picks rehab and hope to come back to the second team.

PPS, I like Benson and think he will be a very good pro but its hard for me to believe that someone who wears nappy dreds like that doesn't smoke a lot of weed.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Living on the east coast, I don't get to see a great deal of Derrick Johnson or Longhorns football.

I did catch part of the game on TBS last night while also going crazy as Clemson eventually upset Miami in the Orange Bowl.

Johnson showed impressive field speed by nearly running down Morency on a 68 yard touchdown reception that was nearly all run after the catch.

Dallas needs to find a playmaking linebacker who can add some spice to the defense.

If it happens to be Johnson, fine by me.

Just find somebody.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Bluefin said:
Johnson showed impressive field speed by nearly running down Morency on a 68 yard touchdown reception that was nearly all run after the catch.

If you watch that play again, watch for the fat offensive lineman that is running, and just falls down. Derrick Johnson had to run a little to the left to avoid that fatty. If that fatty didn't make that "great block" DJ would of caught Morency. It's subtle, but if you get to see it again, check that guy out. By falling down he actually sprung the TD.

fishspill

Reaction score
My hope is to be high enough in the draft to get DJ and Rod Wright. Contingent of course on Wright coming out this year. That would solve a lot of what ails us.

And this is coming from a Sooner fan.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
fishspill said:
My hope is to be high enough in the draft to get DJ and Rod Wright. Contingent of course on Wright coming out this year. That would solve a lot of what ails us.

And this is coming from a Sooner fan.
Rod is coming out. At least my nfldraftblitz buddies in the know say he is which is good enough for me. They call all of these highly thought of recruits.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Rack said:
Derrick Johnson - OLB - Texas

The man is a beast. Hopefully Buffalo loses about 11 or 12 games so we'll have a shot at him.
I am almost on board with that. He has leapfrogged Rolle, Kiwanuka, Wright, and James. I still have Mike Williams as my #1 hope.