CFZ My 2 Cents on Dak and MM

dthahn

The Doctor Is IN!
Reaction score
After reading all the posts on here after the 49ers game, it was easy to get the impression that Dak is nothing more than a bus driver that will never take us to the Superbowl. And I do understand these reactions since he, for a big part, cost the Cowboys the game.

However, I do think these reactions are a bit of an overreaction. Don't get me wrong, I do not think Dak is an elite QB. I do think he deserves a good part of the blame for the loss. If you consider his entire body of work as the Cowboys QB, he has proven himself to be an above-average QB. I also think that he can take the Boys to the Superbowl.

The only way he will take the Boys to the promised land is if he has coaches who hold him accountable for his play. It is this accountability not only for Dak but for the entire team that is sorely missing. This responsibility falls squarely on McCarthy's shoulders. Since MM arrived, the Boys have been an undisciplined and underachieving team. Some fans believe MM has done a good job but the reality is that he is only a figurehead. Most of the credit belongs to his coordinators. It is obvious to anyone that takes a look at the abundance of evidence that is there. There have consistently been penalties, slow starts to big games, lack of discipline, lack of intensity, and a lack of leadership (to be fair the Boys have done better with penalties over the last few games).

Dak provided us with the evidence when he told the media that he was being coached to stay aggressive!! That is the PROBLEM!! MM should be coaching him to rein in the aggression and be more conservative. Dak has been coddled and given too much freedom to manage the offense. He needs an offensive coordinator who will get in his face when he throws pick-6's and order him to run the ball when the receivers aren't open. He needs a head coach who will have the guts and leadership to bench his arse when he throws multiple interceptions in a game even if it just for one series. Without this leadership and accountability, nothing will change.

All we have to do to see the evidence for more conservatism is take a look at Dak's stats last year. He had 37 TD's and only 10 INT's. That's almost a 4 to 1 ratio, which is in the elite category. He played more conservative because of his coming off the ankle injury. He was not being coached to be more aggressive. He didn't force it and he let the game come to him. It was obvious to me that Dak was forcing it in the 49ers game just like the Washington game.

Okay, now that I have gotten that off my chest, you can now tear me to shreds.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
After reading all the posts on here after the 49ers game, it was easy to get the impression that Dak is nothing more than a bus driver that will never take us to the Superbowl. And I do understand these reactions since he, for a big part, cost the Cowboys the game.

However, I do think these reactions are a bit of an overreaction. Don't get me wrong, I do not think Dak is an elite QB. I do think he deserves a good part of the blame for the loss. If you consider his entire body of work as the Cowboys QB, he has proven himself to be an above-average QB. I also think that he can take the Boys to the Superbowl.

The only way he will take the Boys to the promised land is if he has coaches who hold him accountable for his play. It is this accountability not only for Dak but for the entire team that is sorely missing. This responsibility falls squarely on McCarthy's shoulders. Since MM arrived, the Boys have been an undisciplined and underachieving team. Some fans believe MM has done a good job but the reality is that he is only a figurehead. Most of the credit belongs to his coordinators. It is obvious to anyone that takes a look at the abundance of evidence that is there. There have consistently been penalties, slow starts to big games, lack of discipline, lack of intensity, and a lack of leadership (to be fair the Boys have done better with penalties over the last few games).

Dak provided us with the evidence when he told the media that he was being coached to stay aggressive!! That is the PROBLEM!! MM should be coaching him to rein in the aggression and be more conservative. Dak has been coddled and given too much freedom to manage the offense. He needs an offensive coordinator who will get in his face when he throws pick-6's and order him to run the ball when the receivers aren't open. He needs a head coach who will have the guts and leadership to bench his arse when he throws multiple interceptions in a game even if it just for one series. Without this leadership and accountability, nothing will change.

All we have to do to see the evidence for more conservatism is take a look at Dak's stats last year. He had 37 TD's and only 10 INT's. That's almost a 4 to 1 ratio, which is in the elite category. He played more conservative because of his coming off the ankle injury. He was not being coached to be more aggressive. He didn't force it and he let the game come to him. It was obvious to me that Dak was forcing it in the 49ers game just like the Washington game.

Dont agree once you started talking about MM. Going from Garrett to MM has been night and day. Penalties were not a factor this season like before. Team as a whole keeps improving. Telling dak to stay aggressive is pushing him to stay the course. Cant tell a guy to dial it back.

Half of the picks this year were not his fault. That being said its too much. I would be more worried if he had pick problems like Romo.

aikemirv

Reaction score

If he had just driven the Bus against SF we would have won. He hit a few pedestrians!

bewp7

Reaction score
i wonder how much if any at all is jerry

dak will be a $50,000,000 cap hit next season that is over 20% of the cap by himself and i do wonder if jerry is saying dak have to be throwing to try to justfy that stupid contract

idk…maybe crasy but i do wonder!

Cmac

Reaction score

....and what should Kellen Moore have been doing, amongst this? Just wondering, after all he is the OC and the QB is a primary responsibility. Just wondering. And Nussmeier, where he at in all this?

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Dak is who he is. No coach is going to change that. He is an average QB that thinks he is elite and wants to be the hero. He makes horrible decisions at the worst possible times. He has put the Cowboys in a tough spot. he plays well enough at times so they think they can win, if he just had another piece, but in reality, he is not a big game QB. Never has been, Never will be. Some QB play their best when it matters most, think Eli Manning/Joe Flacco, Dak is not that guy. Did anyone on this planet have any faith when we got the ball back with over 3 minutes to go in the game, that Dak would deliver.. I know I didn't, doubt anyone did if they are being honest. I know he is our QB for a few more years at least and hopefully he proves me wrong and I will be rooting for him every game like I always do but deep down, I know we wont' win anything of note as long as he is the QB, regardless who they bring in to coach him.

75boyz

Reaction score

You can't remove the decision made by the QB in real time as the play is happening in order to rationalize QB performance.

I've repeated this over and over.
Regardless of playcall...

The QB must be able to make the right decision(ie not throw, run if open field) when the play is going on.

THIS is the problem with lack of offensive success.

Dak lacks the ability to make proper real time QB decisions.

It's that simple.
DOES not matter if there is an empty set on 2nd and 2 with little time left.
ITS NOT THE OC's fault.

It is the fault of the QB making THAT DECISION in real time and his alone.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
So, it seems you are unfamiliar with the culture jerry Jones has cultivated over the past 28 years. You think anyone other than Jerry has final say on football decisions? You don't think certain players have the ability to walk into Jerry's office and complain about how he is being treated? Add an OC to that list as a well.

Underachieving under McCarthy? The team has done more under McCarthy in 3 years than they managed the 24 years prior to his arrival. Who you replacing McCarthy with? Oh, let me guess; Sean Payton, right? Payton will want full control over the roster at his next job. You think Jerry and Stephen are down with that?

raggedy

Reaction score
I like this post by the OP.

I do think Big Mac is an enabler, and while the team's record is great overall, I don't have confidence Big Mac can get this team to the next level. The inconsistency and apparent lack of discipline I put on MM, due to the soft culture at the ranch (lack of accountability).

Jerruh did finally give the reins to Parcells, so we can hope that this FO has had enough pain and will once again, give control over to a real coach (PAYTON).

At this point what is there to lose? I guess if the experiment goes badly then the Cowboys end up a .500 team and out of the playoffs? Does Jerry really want another SB ring or is he happy with filling the seats with a playoff team that exits in the first or second round? If the experiment goes right, then Payton is the QB Whisperer some of us believe him to be and he "fixes" Dak and constructs a Super Bowl worthy roster and gets Jerruh one more ring before he kicks the bucket.

75boyz

Reaction score
I like this post by the OP.

I do think Big Mac is an enabler, and while the team's record is great overall, I don't have confidence Big Mac can get this team to the next level. The inconsistency and apparent lack of discipline I put on MM, due to the soft culture at the ranch (lack of accountability).

Jerruh did finally give the reins to Parcells, so we can hope that this FO has had enough pain and will once again, give control over to a real coach (PAYTON).

At this point what is there to lose? I guess if the experiment goes badly then the Cowboys end up a .500 team and out of the playoffs? Does Jerry really want another SB ring or is he happy with filling the seats with a playoff team that exits in the first or second round? If the experiment goes right, then Payton is the QB Whisperer some of us believe him to be and he "fixes" Dak and constructs a Super Bowl worthy roster and gets Jerruh one more ring before he kicks the bucket.
In a perfect world, right on bro.

rags747

Reaction score
Sundays game was there for the taking. People keep saying that Dak can get us to a SB, why didn’t he do it this past Sunday? The Circus is only in town for so long as Parcells loved to say. Sunday was our time and it was blown by crap qb play, nothing else.

Zman5

Reaction score
Sundays game was there for the taking. People keep saying that Dak can get us to a SB, why didn’t he do it this past Sunday? The Circus is only in town for so long as Parcells loved to say. Sunday was our time and it was blown by crap qb play, nothing else.
If you believe Jimmy Johnson, most likely because Pollard went down.

“He can win you a championship if you’ve got really good players around him,” Johnson said on FS1’s “The Herd with Colin Cowherd” on December 13, “They’re not running the football as well as they did a year ago. When they’re running the football, those play-action passes, Dak is really good. But when he’s gotta drop back and start reading the whole field and make decisions about where he’s throwing the football, and the defense isn’t slowing down for the run and they’re rushing the passer and putting pressure on him, he’s not nearly as good.”

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson said:
"But when he’s gotta drop back and start reading the whole field and make decisions about where he’s throwing the football, and the defense isn’t slowing down for the run and they’re rushing the passer and putting pressure on him, he’s not nearly as good.”

Translation: Dak can't play the quarterback position like an NFL quarterback should.
Thanks, Jimmy, for giving us the rhetorical equivalent of putting lipstick on a pig.