my 2 cents on the draft -so far

dirt

Reaction score
First of all I have to say I can remember back in the day before the internet and all the draft magazines and sites available now. I remember calling a hot line where they updated the picks 5 at a time every half hour!
What amazes me, and it extends to all sports drafts is the vehemence that resounds after the pick is made! Everyone has an opinion, often colored by what is said by talking heads or posted on a site most recently. We base our opinions on other peoples opinions.
Mendenhal v Jones
I watched both play during their careers and thought Jones was electrifiying. Mendenhal was a grinder (except for the long run against USC which everyone hung their hat on that he had decent speed) Mendenhall is a power back who began moving up the charts after running a decent time at the combine.
Jones has the flash but ran slower than expected at the combine. I have to say I hate the combine!!! Look at the tape!
Mendenhall is a very good back no doubt and moved up the draft boards, but allow me to do some revisionist foreseeing into the future.
I could see a similar scenario to Chicago with Thomas Jones and C. Benson. Jones took the bulk of the carries. Benson--a grinder who I believe is very similar in style to Mendenhall languished with 10 or so ineffective carries a game. Basically he was wasted for 2 years--not a good return on an investment as high as he was since RB's playing lives are about 4 years. When given a chance to be the number 1 guy he did not produce.
Jones gives us a weapon to be on the field as a kick returner, rb, split out wide and even in the back field with MB111. Jones is putting faith in Marion stating he is the man.
I admit, I was pumped that Mendenhall was available and slightly disappointed but that was based mostly on the draft board ratings. As a wolverine fan--Mendenhall never scared me as an opponent.
I still dont beleive he has the long speed dimension and I could see 8-9 men in the box all the time as we are short on outside speed at Wr as well.
I was concerned in the off season--as much as I love MB111 that we did not have that explosion. Too many times Marion would get loose only to be dragged down from behind. It has been since the early JJ years where we had a back blow through the line and explode into the end zone.
Perhaps I am just trying to convince myself--but lets wait to compare total yards at the end of the year for both.
As for the TE--I expected it following Goose's draft board. There were no wr's worth it--dont even go there with Manningham!!( a 6 on the wonderlick!!!!; dont you get points for signing your name?).
Looking at Fasano; I didnt like the pick when it happened and I think it is a case of cutting bait and getting rid of a guy you know is just not going to work out. He was slow, stiff, couldn't catch naturally and was a poor blocker. time to move on. And in moving on, why not go with a guy with excellent potential. Just from the playing video you can see he is an athlete and could be molded. God forbid, but with Whitten's physical playing style, you have to wonder how long his career will be.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
great post. I agree with almost everything you said.

The part about Mendenhall being a grinder is also what I see. Also in my gut, I believe he's a one year wonder, flavor of the month guy. Felix has been on the radar for 3 years as a 3-time All SEC and 2-time All American player.

With Felix I believe it also came down to the trust/known factor. They simply knew the guy thoroughly and have known him for 3 years. Mendenhall jumped on the radar screen this past season and then fell in their laps. You don't give up 3 years of study and knowedge about a player based on a 10 minute evaluation while you're on the clock.

You can debate the selection but ultimately almost anyone else in our exact situation would have made the same pick!

dirt

Reaction score
I sometimes question the combine 40. A kid can go work with a speed coach like many do during the time between the season and combine and suddenly pull off a 4.4 yet when you watch him play, you say no way that guy is more than a 4.6, against college players no less.
Ray Rice is a case in point. Did you think he was sub 4.5 on the field? I felt the same about Mendenhall. A guy playing out of the spread always looks faster.
Yet you watch Felix play and you say wow that guy is fast. Quick twitch vs a more power back like Mendenhall. No doubt both could go on to have excellent careers but they are different flavors. And, that 1 year wonder thing bothers me as well