My 53

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Losing that final preseason game sucks, but I think most of the writing was on the wall either way. Here's my prediction on who makes the team.

QB (2)
Dak Prescott
Cooper Rush

Kellen adds nothing to the team, so even if they wanted to keep 3 QBs, Kellen is not that guy. I think we should roll with two QB's, but if we must keep 3, then that 3rd guy should be a FA acquisition. The team will probably do the exact opposite and keep Moore as #2 though, knowing them.

RB (4)
Ezekiel Elliot (Probably suspended at some point)
Darren McFadden
Alfred Morris
Rod Smith

Zeke is likely to avoid a suspension for DV in my opinion, but the NFL left room to suspend him for his other transgressions by saying this suspension was all about the DV claims, so I think he's still going to miss a couple of games.

FB (1)
Keith Smith

TE (4)
Jason Witten
James Hanna
Geoff Swaim
Rico Gathers

I don't buy that Rico is going to IR. If he's on IR then he can't practice, not good. It's unlikely he's active on game day until well into the season, however.

WR (6)
Den Bryant
Terrance Williams
Cole Beasley
Brice Butler
Noah Brown
Ryan Switzer

Switzer makes it by default, even though he didn't do as damn thing all offseason.

OL (8)
Tyron Smith
Jonathan Cooper
Travis Frederick
Zack Martin
Label Collins
Chaz Green
Joe Looney
Byron Bell

Wouldn't be surprised if they replaced Bell with a FA. Looney makes it because he's a great team guy and can play center.

DL (9)
DeMarcus Lawrence
Tyrone Crawford
Taco Charlton
Benson Mayowa
Charles Tapper
Malik Collins
Cedric Thornton
Stephen Paea
Lewis Neal

David Irving (Suspended)
DeMontre Moore (Suspended)

LB (7)
Sean Lee
Damien Wilson (Probably suspended at some point)
Jaylon Smith
Justin Durant
Kyle Wilber
Mark Nzeocha
Free Agent

With Hitch out and Wilson likely to be suspended, I think this is a prime spot to add talent from another teams cuts.

IR
Anthony Hitchens

CB (6)
Orlando Scandrick
Nolan Carroll (Probably suspended at some point)
Anthony Brown
Chidobe Awuzie
Marquez White
Jourdan Lewis

Duke Thomas went and got hurt, that sets him back from the strides he made while our rookie CB's were on vacation. Marquez has great measureables, so I think they keep him but I could see him being cut in favor of a vet.

S (4)
Byron Jones
Jeff Heath
Kavon Frazier
Xavier Woods

Byron and Heath have looked, at best, average this offseason. Woods is set to apply some pressure on Heath, but we'll see.

SP (3)
Zeus - Kicker
Poseidon - Punter
Hades - Long Snapper

Overall, I actually don't think there are a lot of surprises. It will be very interesting to watch what happens with all teams flooding the market with cuts at the same time, however. Feels almost like another mini draft.... or it could be the complete opposite, and now that teams have more time to evaluate guys, maybe they don't let go of talented players and the market is full of scrubs.

Also curious to hear who you guys think would be good for the practice squad?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pretty much what mine would be. I think the team definitely keeps 3 QBs. I'm not sure they add a LB (I like the idea, though), but we'll say they don't to get the numbers to work.

To get room for the 3rd QB, they cut a RB. For me, that's Morris. As great a guy as he is, he doesn't do enough for you in the passing game, and he gives you nothing on Teams. I'm perfectly fine rolling with Elliott/McFadden/Smith and adding a guy if you happen to lose a back during any Elliott suspension. At that point, you cut the extra QB or the DB.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Pretty much what mine would be. I think the team definitely keeps 3 QBs. I'm not sure they add a LB (I like the idea, though), but we'll say they don't to get the numbers to work.

To get room for the 3rd QB, they cut a RB. For me, that's Morris. As great a guy as he is, he doesn't do enough for you in the passing game, and he gives you nothing on Teams. I'm perfectly fine rolling with Elliott/McFadden/Smith and adding a guy if you happen to lose a back during any Elliott suspension. At that point, you cut the extra QB or the DB.

I think they'll keep 3 QB's as well. I just hope that if they do, one of them isn't Kellen Moore because that's as good as a wasted roster spot.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they'll keep 3 QB's as well. I just hope that if they do, one of them isn't Kellen Moore because that's as good as a wasted roster spot.

I got no problem upgrading the backup QB spot. Moore's below par in a league that has a lot of bad backup QBs. I have a hard time seeing who they bring in, though, that does for them what I think they want from Moore this year. Long term, that guy is Rush. This year, though, I think they want a vet who knows the offense well enough to support Dak, support Rush, and who can at least finish a game or two for you in a pinch. Finding a vet who fits the first part of that isn't going to be easy. Nor are there going to be a lot of good QBs released suddenly.

We're looking at the likes of Weeden and Sanchez again. In which case, I prefer Moore.