My assesment of this game.

Catch-22

Reaction score
Well, let's all be honest here. We all had star struck eyes when Bledsoe was hitting TO and this offense clicked and went to a 10-0 lead. But guess what? Jacksonville was 12-4 for a reason last year.

They ARE a good team, and I believe we are as well.

They made adjustments were able to move the ball and stop our offense. That being said, we were NOT shut down. We had many opportunities to score, and either we did not execute, or we were crippled by penalties. The good thing the opportunities were there.

The offensive potential is there, undoubedtly. This is a better team than last year, undoubedtly. We just need to capitalize on our opportunities, and I personally think that will come as the season progresses.

Positives:
+ Terrell Owens: the beast we all hoped he could be. He hasn't lost a step. You might say he didn't take over the game, well that's because it is IMPOSSIBLE for a WR to take over a game. They can only execute when they are given the opportunity, and TO proved that he could.
+ Julius Jones: yes he got stuffed several times, but we all saw what he could do with a seam
+ Demarcus Ware: A step late? Definitely. I'm hoping that he'll be able to make more of the pressure he gets as the season progresses. He was in the backfield plenty, and was held all game long (unnoticed by the officials).
+ Offensive line: Some might dispute, but this is one of the best DL in the league, I think they held their own. Kosier's mobility is a nice sight after LA.
+ Mat McBriar - 62 yards and out of bounds, enough said.

Negatives:
- Drew Bledsoe: Whether it was his back or the wet ball, he was OFF today. The skill position players were there, and the line held up well enough, he has to make better throws.
- Anthony Henry: Ever since he dropped that INT, he was shaken, and Jacksonville's WRs exploited that.
- Flozell Adams: Penalties, slow off the line. Let's hope this isn't the end result of the knee injury.
- Shaun Suisham: This guy can only kickoff, that's it. That was the most pathetic excuse for an onside kick I've seen.
- Run blocking: I'm tired of seeign our backs run into a wall behind the LOS.
- Penalties: Way too many dumb mistakes on both sides of the ball.

Other Notes:

I know a lot of you will rip the officiating in this game, but it was equally bad on both sides. They missed holding calls on both sides of the field. Anthony Henry got mugged, not to mention Barnes false started on that play. That PI on Witten was by the books, but calling that and not the one at the end of the half is inconsistent. I personally think the ref was wrong on both overturned calls, but that is up in the air.

Can someone explain how we lost a timeout for a challenge we didn't even get?

Pat Watkins was invisible except for one tackle late in the game. I think that is a GOOD thing considering he is a FS.

Newman was out of position on a few plays, but man is he a good corner.

Overall, I think we have the potential to be a force in the league. Potential is good, but we have to execute.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very good post. I agree that we have nothing to be ashamed of after being competitive against a playoff team on the road. What bothers me is that we hurt ourselves. I can take being outplayed, but penalties and turnovers and missed field goals and yes even bad playcalling at times are all unnacceptable. Knowing that they beat themselves today leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Not that Jax didn't have some say in it, but we clearly had several chances to take it to them and just blew it over and over again. This is the kind of game you need to win to show the world that you are ready. We didn't do that today.

Catch-22

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita said:
Very good post. I agree that we have nothing to be ashamed of after being competitive against a playoff team on the road. What bothers me is that we hurt ourselves. I can take being outplayed, but penalties and turnovers and missed field goals and yes even bad playcalling at times are all unnacceptable. Knowing that they beat themselves today leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Not that Jax didn't have some say in it, but we clearly had several chances to take it to them and just blew it over and over again. This is the kind of game you need to win to show the world that you are ready. We didn't do that today.
I don't think it is ever better to be outplayed. When you fire on all cylinder and still lose, there is no hope. Getting outplayed means there is a discrepancy in talent that can't be overcome.

That's why this loss doesn't bother me as much as it could. Yes we lost, but the ceiling is high for this team.

canters

Reaction score
Catch-22 said:
I don't think it is ever better to be outplayed. When you fire on all cylinder and still lose, there is no hope. Getting outplayed means there is a discrepancy in talent that can't be overcome.

That's why this loss doesn't bother me as much as it could. Yes we lost, but the ceiling is high for this team.

Another good post.

notherbob

Reaction score
I admired the way Jack Del Rio really fired his team up and showed a lot of enthusiasm whereas Parcells looked like a stern old curmudgeon all game long. Their guys played with enthusiasm and the Boys played like they were afraid to make mistakes.

The Cowboys were out-coached, out-played and out-hustled today. Yesterday the Jags players said all they had to do was put some pressure on Bledsoe today and he would make a lot of bad decisions and mistakes - they were right.

Bledsoe looked like his bell was still ringing too loud from last weeks hit for him to think clearly.

The Boys got ahead early and then let up as usual. This team does not know how to close out a win nor do they seem to understand the extra margin enthusiasm makes.

The fact that they didn't get completely blown out is something of a positive, I guess. As much as I have despised TO, he seemed to be trying to spark up people more than anyone else I saw on the Cowboys.

They seem to need an enthusiasm coach.