My center solutiuon.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This is far from a great thought and really just kinda makes sense but why can Dallas not simply ask Rivera to make the line calls and just ask Gurode to play the position and adjust as directed by Rivera? We are paying Rivera for his leadership, savvy and knowledge of the game. Unlike LA he isn't a quiet type by any means. La's not here to object to having another guard make the calls and Rivera is the leader of that unit now clearly. He said he would be step up and deal with TO even if need be.

conner01

Reaction score
good idea. would solve line call problems but gurodes biggest problem is just mental lapses during the game. short snaps, can't shotgun snap,picks up wrong guy. he has the physical tools and maybe taking the line calls off him would clear his mind for other things. sure can't hurt to try

sago1

Reaction score
Sounds like a great idea to me. In fact I think I've heard of another 1-2 teams who've done that in the past, particularly with a young C. Depending on how both play in preseason, maybe Parcells might think of doing it if both exhibit same problem as last year? Gurode would be free to concentrate solely on his own play & how it relates to Bledsoe. If there's a downside to this idea don't know what it could be (unless Riveria gets hurt & can't play). If Gurode ready in 07 (hopefully more familiar & more confident of his play), he could resume signal calling duties again and we see what happens.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
That actually sounds pretty realistic to me, I wonder if he ever made the line calls in Green Bay or anything.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
jterrell said:
This is far from a great thought and really just kinda makes sense but why can Dallas not simply ask Rivera to make the line calls and just ask Gurode to play the position and adjust as directed by Rivera? We are paying Rivera for his leadership, savvy and knowledge of the game. Unlike LA he isn't a quiet type by any means. La's not here to object to having another guard make the calls and Rivera is the leader of that unit now clearly. He said he would be step up and deal with TO even if need be.
:bravo: :bravo:

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
jterrell said:

I thought about that too...but isn't Flo deaf in the ear closest to Rivera...not sure how much of a differance it would be

AbeBeta

Reaction score
You can get someone else to make the calls -- however there have been reports that Gurode has problems understanding the adjustments he needs to make when the line calls change. I think there was an interview with Richie Anderson where Anderson said Gurode needed to be spoon fed every aspect of the offense and he simply could not handle in-game adjustments. You compound those problems by playing him at center where he needs to make the calls. I'm pretty sure he came back to Dallas so that he could play in the same system again -- he's a slow learner and wouldn't be able to handle a different system. Hopefully he starts to get it -- physically he is the best interior lineman we have.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Why don't we simply go get a better center?

And who would that be? As much as people bad mouth Johnson, other than getting pushed into the backfield on 2-3 plays a game, he's a pretty good center.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Gurode vs Vince Young in a game of Jeopardy.

VY/6 - "Choosing sports agents for $100 Alex"
pic_alex.jpg

Alex - "Who is the best sports agent on Earth?"
VY/6 - "Majur Atums"
eeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Gurode - "Dead sports athletes for $500 Allen"
pic_alex.jpg

Alex - "What killed Lyle Alzado?"
Gurode - "He took stereo?"
errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Might be worth a shot, but Gurode also struggled with whiffing on blocks as well. Rivera can't make up for that one.

Rich.........

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
jterrell said:

I like your idea jt.....I think it that be just what the doctor ordered. Rivera calling the line calls would be one less thing Gurode would have to think about.....just ask him consentrate on making the block.

Yep, just might work.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
jterrell said:

It could be an option.

I hope Tony Sparano coaching style and line calls can get either Al or Gurode over the top.

montgod

Reaction score
I still wouldn't mind a trade for Faine from the Browns though I know it probably won't happen.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Parcells decided Flozell was a player and signed him to a long term deal. people were saying Parcells was an idiot. A couple probowls later.....

Last season Dexter Coakley was released and it was let known that Bradie James would be the starter. People were saying Parcells was an idiot.....

This season Gurode is resigned and will play the center position. People are calling Gurode and Parcells an idiot....

Will people ever learn?