my Cowboy draft

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
who knows what they will do...I'm sure we will move around some and probably will move down from 18...but assuming no moves:

1 (18) Manny Lawson OLB...I dont love Lawson, but I think if we stay at 18 they will probably take an OLB unless Winston Justice falls in their laps...they can pair Lawson with Ware to form a pass rushing nightmare from the OLB spots...the downside with Lawson is potential to be a one dimensional player early on, mainly playing on passing downs until he bulks up and learns all the assignments of the OLB in this scheme...I think Wimbley may be gone and they may think 18 is too high for Carpenter...its also why I think we ultimately move down, because none of these 3 guys are sure things

2 (49) Ko Simpson FS...makes too much sense to me...we need a FS badly...Coleman and Davis arnt it..Simpson is a true ballhawk type FS who can play in space and go get the ball...even if he doesnt start from day one, in passing situations he is a huge upgrade over the other safeties

3 (80) Jon Scott OT...assuming they dont get Justice, I think they will go OL here...Scott could potentially develop into a LT or RT...needs work, but wouldnt be expected to start from day one anyway assuming Adams and Fabini are healthy

5 (150) Skyler Green WR/KR...he probably wont be here where we pick, but he would be an ideal 3rd/4th WR and potentially solid to explosive PR/KR guy

6 (182) Damato Peko NT..big run stuffing NT prospect...we need something to develop behind (and spell) Ferguson

7 (224) Willie Colon OG...developmental guard prospect

I think they would take Wimbley over Lawson if both are there at 18...if they acquire an extra 2nd rd pick (say from moving from 18-30 or so) then I could see them perhaps using one of the 2nds on a QB (Whitehurst would be my choice) or one of the top OT's that might slip into round 2 (Winston or McNeil, although we'd have to move up some from 49 IMO to get either)...trading up a few spots from 18 to land Winston Justice wouldnt shock me either

We dont have alot of holes, so even though Jones said they'd like to acquire extra picks, moving up to get a really good starter/upgrade at an obvious weak spot (OT Justice) makes sense too...other thoughts:

1) doubt they select any RB's, unless perhaps its a FB late (they keep bringing up Q Hill)
2) probably wont take a WR on day one
3) taking a TE in rd 3 wouldnt shock me, especially if they acquire some extra pick/s
4) if they take a QB on day one (Whitehurst, Croyle, Clemens) then I think Romo is traded for something
5) still wont be shocked if Ellis were traded, if they could acquire a 2nd rd pick or if they decide to move up significantly in round 1, using Ellis to move instead of draft pick/s
6) like JJT from DMN, if somehow Jay Cutler got past the Rams at 11 I wonder if the Cowboys would start thinking about moving up...not that I want them to, but I do think they might think about it...probably would have to get ahead of the Vikes at 17

David

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
1 (18) Manny Lawson OLB...I dont love Lawson, but I think if we stay at 18 they will probably take an OLB unless Winston Justice falls in their laps...they can pair Lawson with Ware to form a pass rushing nightmare from the OLB spots...the downside with Lawson is potential to be a one dimensional player early on, mainly playing on passing downs until he bulks up and learns all the assignments of the OLB in this scheme...I think Wimbley may be gone and they may think 18 is too high for Carpenter...its also why I think we ultimately move down, because none of these 3 guys are sure things

This sounds very reasonable to me. You think we might move out of the first round altogether for someone's high second and a bunch of other stuff?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
The_Jackal said:
This sounds very reasonable to me. You think we might move out of the first round altogether for someone's high second and a bunch of other stuff?

yeah I could see another 2004 type situation depending on who falls where and whether or not we can find someone who wants to pay to move into our spot

David

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nice board David.

I see you're backing off your earlier sentiments of taking a offensive lineman in round 1.

I agree that a lineman will be chosen. Just not in round 1.

Wimbo

Reaction score
Here's the mock I posted yesterday at KFFL:

1st - 18th Manny Lawson, OLB - NC State
2nd - 49th Davin Joseph, OG - Oklahoma
3rd - 80th Pat Watkins, FS - Florida State

5th - 150th Pat Ross, C - Boston College
6th - 182th Willie Reed, WR - Florida State
7th - 224th Domata Peko, DT - Michigan State

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member