My Dallas Mock

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
I really think there will be some suprises between now and then.........

1-22 Dallas trades down with the Chargers after watching players like Landry, Nelson, Merriweather, CJohnson, Bowe and Meachem all get drafted before their turn. Without thinking, they make the trade the Chargers offer because their man is Ted Ginn. We get the 30th, 62nd and 167th picks.

1-30. We select Tank Tyler DT NC State.
When in doubt, take a two gap tackle. Although he wont be leading the league in sacks, he will make Ware do that starting next year. Plus, goaline defense will be stepped up with him and Fergi, along with the ability to rotate and keep Fergi fresh for late in games this year.
2-53. We select Antonio Pittman RB Ohio State.
What?!!!! *** is going on here 90% of the Zone says....and while on the clock Dallas deals Julius for a 2nd rounder in the '08 Draft from the Packers, who didnt select a RB in the first as they wanted to. Pittman is a similar runner to Julius but we will see him succeed moreso with Barber wearing out Defenses then subbing him in.
2-62. We select Tanard Jackson CB Syracuse.
Obvious a helpful and value worthy pick here. Jackson is a younger version of Henry, IMO, but with some more speed. He could come in and be the nickel guy unless Glenn totally beats him out.
3-87. We select Jacoby Jones WR Lane.
A small school player, kind of like the no. 1 WR we currently have. Jones is raw, but easily has the skills to develop into a good no.2 or maybe more. Fast, nice frame and can catch the ball with his hands moreso than his body. Wont play much behind Crayton and this also means Hurd is gone as Austin will return kicks.
4-122. We select James Marten OT Boston College.
A athlete at OT, can play any line position. How can you go wrong with a Olineman from BC?
5-159. We select Jordan Palmer QB UTEP.
Can't go wrong with someone related to Carson Palmer right?
5-167. Nate Harris LB Louisville.
Typical 3-4 backer...good depth.
6-195. Louis Leonard DT Fresno State.
Another DT.
6-200. Chris Houston CB Arkansas
After being a projected 1st rounder, his inconsistancy raises many questions about his motivation and he drops, far.....
7-212. Leroy Harris C NC State.
A smart, overachieveing Olineman, hopefully he can develop into a valuable backup C.
7-234. Ryan Moore WR Miami.
Dropped because of his inconsistancy like Houston, but he has some valuable playmaking skills.
7-237. Marquise Cole CB/S Northwestern.
Another project with some help from Newman/Glenn who can maybe become a valuable backup.

Although some of these picks will be rounds off, and although I do think a Julius trade will happen, I firmly believe we are a true NT (Jamal Williams/Casey Hampton) and a above average Oline with some help from a attacking Defense we can maybe, just maybe take the next step and make it to the Super Bowl....flame on!

Tobal

Reaction score
After being a projected 1st rounder, his inconsistancy raises many questions about his motivation and he drops, far.....

Unless he got convicted of a felony this week I do't think he's going to be available when we pick in the 2nd round, much less the 6th.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
joshjwc9;1443451 said:

1-22 Dallas trades down with the Chargers after watching players like Landry, Nelson, Merriweather, CJohnson, Bowe and Meachem all get drafted before their turn. Without thinking, they make the trade the Chargers offer because their man is Ted Ginn. We get the 30th, 62nd and 167th picks.

When in doubt, take a two gap tackle. Although he wont be leading the league in sacks, he will make Ware do that starting next year. Plus, goaline defense will be stepped up with him and Fergi, along with the ability to rotate and keep Fergi fresh for late in games this year.
What?!!!! *** is going on here 90% of the Zone says....and while on the clock Dallas deals Julius for a 2nd rounder in the '08 Draft from the Packers, who didnt select a RB in the first as they wanted to. Pittman is a similar runner to Julius but we will see him succeed moreso with Barber wearing out Defenses then subbing him in.
Obvious a helpful and value worthy pick here. Jackson is a younger version of Henry, IMO, but with some more speed. He could come in and be the nickel guy unless Glenn totally beats him out.
A small school player, kind of like the no. 1 WR we currently have. Jones is raw, but easily has the skills to develop into a good no.2 or maybe more. Fast, nice frame and can catch the ball with his hands moreso than his body. Wont play much behind Crayton and this also means Hurd is gone as Austin will return kicks.
A athlete at OT, can play any line position. How can you go wrong with a Olineman from BC?
Another DT.
A smart, overachieveing Olineman, hopefully he can develop into a valuable backup C.
Dropped because of his inconsistancy like Houston, but he has some valuable playmaking skills.
Another project with some help from Newman/Glenn who can maybe become a valuable backup.

Although some of these picks will be rounds off, and although I do think a Julius trade will happen, I firmly believe we are a true NT (Jamal Williams/Casey Hampton) and a above average Oline with some help from a attacking Defense we can maybe, just maybe take the next step and make it to the Super Bowl....flame on!

Well,

I don't ever see us taking a DT in the first round that doesn't carry a 1st Rd grade. On top of that, why would we invest big money into a guy that has shown an extensive history of trouble? Giving a guy with his backround big money is asking for trouble IMO.

The trade down in the draft is not equitable, if I understand the trade. #22 is good for 780 Pts. The picks outlined, 30, 62 and 167 have a total value of 930. I don't know that an additional 150 is something the Chargers would consider doing. They don't seem stupid usually.

I don't know why we would consider trading JJ for a 2nd next year which really means a 3rd when we paid a 2nd for him to begin with. He's a 1000 yard rusher and were going to trade him for what amounts to a third round pick when we used a 2nd rd pick on him to begin with? Why Pittman? He's small and he really isn't a great blocker in the passing game. I don't see him as an every down back. Depending on who you listen to, he's the 4th or 5th rated back in this draft. He doesn't carry a 2nd rd grade. I think most see him as a 3rd or 4th rd pick. Why would we consider taking him in the 2nd?

Jacoby Jones in the 3rd? I don't even know if this guy is a 1st day pick.

Chris Houston is never going to fall into the 6th RD. Never happen IMO.

thundercowboy

Reaction score
After looking up a no. of these players....I gotta disagree with your picks, but keep reading up and by the time the draft rolls around, you may come up with some better ideas.

Too many risks and bench warmers mentioned and too few starters or competitors for starting spots.

I never like the idea of trading down, not after we lost Steven Jackson with the same kind of thinking. :star:

COWBOYSNUM1

Reaction score
thundercowboy;1443676 said:
After looking up a no. of these players....I gotta disagree with your picks, but keep reading up and by the time the draft rolls around, you may come up with some better ideas.

Too many risks and bench warmers mentioned and too few starters or competitors for starting spots.

I never like the idea of trading down, not after we lost Steven Jackson with the same kind of thinking. :star:
I don't have a problem trading down as long as we pick up a 1st in next years draft as part of the package. Even then I wouldn't want to trade down past pick # 36. I realize that you only have us going to #30, but that is too high for Tank.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
joshjwc9;1443451 said:

Another DT.

I think I'd hurl and then promptly burn all my draft guides in disgust

David

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I like the JJ trade.

And the trade down would make sense, but if Ginn were there Id want him.
And I dont see a need for Jordan Palmer, id take Medlock, the kicker, at that spot

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
I really dont see a Impact player at number 22. I understand many seem to be overrated but what position is available at 22 that makes themselves worth that particular pick.

Like I said, many things and new evaluations will happen between now and then. I feel that almost all fit our schemes more than adequete and have the chance to produce.

Jones reminds me of a WR who was selected from a small school who had some talent but played against very poor competition, can y'all guess who.

Julius was a 1000 yard rusher, but dont you think MB3 could have done the same if not better? Julius struggled the second half of last year, and he wasnt overworked. And with a beefy Oline now, Julius isnt exactly a between the tackles kind of runner. Pittman just seems to be a starter quality runner availaable with the possibly of developed into the player Julius was supposed to become these past two seasons...

Tyler might seem to be overdrafted but what position could really and I mean really screw us over if that starter gets hurt? NT and CB scare me the most. At least most agree with the pick of Jackson.....