My Day at the Draft

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Hey guys, before I start, thanks for all the good luck wishes in the last thread.:bow:

Alright, my day at the draft:

Friday
4:00 PM - Leave Ithaca College
9:00 PM - Arrive at house we are staying at, dont sleep

Saturday
3:00 AM - Drive to Radio City, search for parking
4:15 AM - Get in the "line" before the line (someone noted that you couldn't get in line for the draft until 5, which is true, technically. but people were lined up a block over starting at probably 3:30)
5:00 AM - probably about 1000 overweight, face painted, jersey wearing fanatics "sprint" the 3 or so blocks to the real line
7:30 AM - Finally get our tickets, wander around NYC looking for a diner to eat breakfast
9:00 AM - Take subway to Hoboken where we know a place to eat (who woulda thought we wouldn't be able to find breakfast other than McDonalds in NYC. We must have been looking in the wrong places :laugh2: )
10:45 AM - Enter Radio City and find our seats in the 3rd of 3 decks, which were assigned, not general admission. We could see everything, but they were kinda far away. Can't complain since they are free.
12:00 - 6:30 ish PM - Non-stop booing picks (especially the dolphins b/c one of my friends is a fan of them) and arguing with the eagles and NYG fans all around us. LOVED the cleveland trade, Cowboys fans around me went nuts. We left after the first round, because we were exhausted and I dont know if they said it on TV, but it was the longest first round in NFL history at around 6 hrs 18 min.
7:00 PM - Drove in NYC, absolutely nuts. But you do what you gotta do, I didn't die and only got beeped at once, so I'll consider it a success. :laugh2: Made the 4+ hour trip home and went to bed.

Overall
I had a great time. It was my first time to NYC and I'm glad I went. I never realized that NCY is just fast. Fast food, fast cofee, fast walking, fast driving...the draft is probably the slowest thing to hit NYC since...ever.

There was probably 2-300 of the 5000 people there that were Cowboys fans, which I think is a nice turnout. Also a lot of Raiders fans, who were probably the best ones with faces painted and stuff, but for obvious reasons. Then there were of course hundreds of Jets and Giants fans. The Jets fans I talked to were pretty cool guys, had fun but a bunch of Giants fans found it necessary to say "tony homo" incessantly. So i made fun of eli blah blah blah. Everybody in the place bood the Commanders pick, which was awesome.

PRICES were absolutely atrocious. I now see why tickets are free. I paid 3 bucks for a CUP OF WATER. A CUP OF WATER. Not a bottle, a cup. Hot dogs were 4.75. So my water and hot dog were almost 8 dollars. That did not make me too happy.

On top of that, they ran out of Cowboys draft hats after like 2 hours which also irritated me.

I had a great time, but its a tough trip to make if you are from where I am. The 4+ hour drive combined with no sleep is tough, and the draft itself goes by pretty slowly.

I'm glad I did it, but not sure if I'll find it in me to go again. I think its a little bit more enjoyable wide awake and being able to watch it on TV while getting info online and here at the zone.

I'm going to try to post pics, but I didnt have the camera so idk what I have.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
You're bringing back some of my memories of last year. It is some kind of fun.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Dont worry you can buy draft hats online.

Seems like you had a typical big city experience, but had football infused with it.

You just didnt know where to go for breakfast. There are tons of places 5 minutes away. I wouldnt walk but a cab would have worked.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;1478531 said:
Dont worry you can buy draft hats online.

Seems like you had a typical big city experience, but had football infused with it.

You just didnt know where to go for breakfast. There are tons of places 5 minutes away. I wouldnt walk but a cab would have worked.

Thats kinda what I figgured, we weren't big on getting 6 people in a cab though.

Oh well no big, Hoboken was fun for a little while.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Future 585;1478538 said:
Thats kinda what I figgured, we weren't big on getting 6 people in a cab though.

Oh well no big, Hoboken was fun for a little while.

Yeah, you gotta get lucky and get one of those minivan cabs if that was the case. They are harder to find on the weekend mornings as opposed to the weekend nights.

Overall, you had that experience that many people will never have, and you have stories to tell your grandchildren (and by that time the draft will be automated). :)

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
PRICES were absolutely atrocious. I now see why tickets are free. I paid 3 bucks for a CUP OF WATER. A CUP OF WATER. Not a bottle, a cup. Hot dogs were 4.75. So my water and hot dog were almost 8 dollars. That did not make me too happy

Welcome to Manhattan.

YAKUZA

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
PRICES were absolutely atrocious. I now see why tickets are free. I paid 3 bucks for a CUP OF WATER. A CUP OF WATER. Not a bottle, a cup. Hot dogs were 4.75. So my water and hot dog were almost 8 dollars. That did not make me too happy.

Suppose a napkin is out of the question?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;1478565 said:
Yeah, you gotta get lucky and get one of those minivan cabs if that was the case. They are harder to find on the weekend mornings as opposed to the weekend nights.

Overall, you had that experience that many people will never have, and you have stories to tell your grandchildren (and by that time the draft will be automated). :)

You might have gotten lucky and got on Cash Cab :D

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
I did it the past 4 years with my college buddies.

We graduated and decided to take this year off.

Hope it was worth it for you man.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
conrats dude.

I am from utica, right near you. Never ever drive your own vehicle to manhattan bro. Never.

Here is a tip if you decide to go to the big city again. Drive down to poughkipsee(spelled it wrong) jump on the train, it leaves every hour and comes back every hour. Its really cheap.

Jump out of the train, catch a cab, go get some grub, catch a cab to radio city music hall and enjoy the draft, jump in a cab, back to grand central, jump on a train, get in your car!!!

Never drive. I used to drive to boston once or twice a year to go to fenway........that is even ridiculous, there is just no reason to drive your own car in these cities!!!

One of the reason dfw is great, there is alot of traffic, but there is alot of room for it, Dallas is bad but not even comparable to those compact northeast cities.