My Draft Thoughts

Manster68

Reaction score
Oh how I love the draft.
Oh how I love the draft when Dallas has been making good/great selections the last five years.

Because Dallas had a fantastic season last year, they are picking 27th (yeah I know we all know that).
When this happens, one of two things we must keep in mind.

1. To get a true bonafide first round pick (like say DT Malcom Brown or RB Todd Gurley), most likely you need to trade up. However, there are always players that fall.
2. The same holds true for the second round and the other rounds. If there is a solid 2nd round prospect (like many running backs), if you want one of those, then you have to either select him with the 27th pick, or trade down into the early 2nd round and grab him.

I am all for Dallas trading down in to the 2nd round and grabbing an extra 3rd as well.

If Dallas stays at #27, then I will be happy with CB Kevin Johnson, CB Marcus Peters, DE Owamagbe Odighizuwa, and maybe CB PJ Williams (the DUI gives me a bad taste though).

Also, IF DT Malcom Brown or RB Todd Gurley should happen to fall, then by all means take one of them (I am not holding my breath for that to happen though).

If Dallas trades down and grabs an early 2nd and 3rd round pick, I am all for grabbing RB Jay Ajayi, RB Tevin Coleman, DE Eli Harold, CB Marcus Peters and Kevin Johnson (if they should drop), and DT Carl Davis.

I would love to get RB Jeremy Langford in the 3rd round.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I agree for the most part. In my opinion, there isn't much drop off in talent from guys who will be available in the late 1st and guys who will be available in rounds 2-3, so if we could trade back and get an extra 3rd I'd be all for it. But there are a few guys I would jump on if they were still available at #27. The two guys I'd really jump on are Danny Shelton and Malcolm Brown. These are guys who would immediately come in and take Hayden's job. They're big enough to play the 1-tech and talented enough to sub in at 3-tech. They'd be a long term solution to our D-line.

But outside of those two guys, the next best 1-techs can be found in rounds 2-3. I'd like a guy like Grady Jarrett if they're both gone. He's a guy who is a true 1-tech. He can pressure the QB but isn't an elite pass rusher. He won't be a star but he'd be an improvement over our current 1-techs. He'd be a good value pick in the late 2nd/early 3rd. Then you have guys like Michael Bennett who is a pure 3-tech much like Melton. He might be available in the early-mid 2nd so he's a guy we could grab if we traded back. Another 3-tech would make me feel comfortable because we have zero interior pass rush if Crawford goes down. And we used Crawford and Melton on the field a lot last year.

Of course, these two guys (a starting 1-tech and backup 3-tech) would help our D-line, but a guy like Shelton or Brown could step in and be both the starting 1-tech and backup 3-tech and do it at a high level. But if they're both gone, I'd be very happy with a trade back into the mid 2nd, pick up an extra 3rd, get Bennett in the 2nd and Jarrett in the 3rd, and still have another 2nd and another 3rd for a RB and FS/CB.

I'd like a RB but I'm not as desperate as other people. We do need to add a RB but I don't think we need to add Peterson or Gurley/Gordon. I think we need to add a guy in the 2nd or 3rd who can team up with McFadden/Williams/Randle and make a strong RB by committee. We don't need a 2,000 yard back. We just need a trio of guys with 600-700 yards.

Everyone is saying we need another starting CB. I think we'll be okay at CB this year if we improve our D-line. Next year might be a different story since I see both Carr and Claiborne gone. But this year I'm most concerned with a true FS. I'd rather get a guy like Rowe in the 2nd who can be the eventual starting FS. He might not be ready to beat out Church/Wilcox this year, but he has the versatility to be our 3rd/4th CB this year while we groom him for FS. I think a good D-line and a true FS will make the CBs look a lot better than they are.

Here is what I'd like to see:

Trade 1st for a mid 2nd and an extra 3rd
Mid-2nd draft DT Michael Bennett
Late 2nd draft FS Eric Rowe
Extra 3rd draft DT Grady Jarrett
Late 3rd draft best available RB

OR

Late 1st draft DT Danny Shelton or DT Malcolm Brown
Late 2nd draft FS Eric Rowe
Late 3rd draft best available RB