My dream first round...

like a dog

Panamanian Cowboy
Reaction score
...assuming the Howard trade goes through and we stay in the 4-3.

Round One

11. Derrick Johnson, OLB, Texas
The best defensive player in the draft and the best linebacker to emerge from the college ranks since Lavar Arrington. He has bulked up to 240+ pounds and still runs faster (4.52) then most safeties. A freakish talent and a playmaker who will make the Cowboys defense better from day one.

20. Jamal Brown, RT, Oklahoma
Right up there with Alex Barron and Khaliff Barnes as the best OT in the draft. Unlike Barron and Barnes, who are more finesse, pass blocking types, Brown is a huge, powerful road grader perfectly suited for the right side. Will solidify the right side of the Cowboys line for the next decade.

Concrete Roy

Reaction score
I could live with that and then draft Ernecst Shazor in the 2nd round, but oh we will lose our second rounder. So there for we need to trade our 20th pick back to pick up another second rounder. Also were going to have to move up if we want DJ.

jbsg02

Reaction score
That would be a great first round. If we trade our 2nd for Howard then I am pretty sure we will try to trade down with one of those picks though.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Well... since we're "Dreaming".

Mike Williams
Derrick Johnson

Realistically...

I don't do realism. :)

chicago JK

Reaction score
mine will change several of time prior to the draft but as of today

11- Merriman or Derrick Johnson
20-David Pollack
42-Mike Patterson

Watch out QB's

like a dog

Panamanian Cowboy
Reaction score
If we don't get Darren Howard, my dream first three picks would something like this:

11. Derrick Johnson, OLB, Texas
Can't pass on the best player in the draft. Ideal size (6'3'', 245) and speed (4.52) to be an SLB in the 4-3. Instant playmaker for the Cowboys defense.

20. Erasmus James, DE, Wisconsin
The most talented pass rusher in the draft may fall because of injury concerns. An explosive talent with John Abraham like potential if healthy.

42. Brodney Pool, FS, Oklahoma
True centerfielder with good speed and natural ball instincts. Effective coverage safety will allow Roy Williams to creep up to the line and wreck havoc.

Dallas could then sign a veteran RT like Victor Riley (NO) or Ethan Brooks (Bal) to start/push Torrin Tucker.

The starting lineups:

Offense

QB - Drew Bledsoe
HB - Julius Jones
FB - Richie Anderson
FL - Keyshawn Johnson
SE - Terry Glenn
LT - Flozell Adams
LG - Larry Allen
C - Al Johnson
RG - Marco Rivera
RT - Victor Riley
TE - Jason Witten

Defense

LE - Greg Ellis
LDT/NT - Jason Fergueson
RDT - La'Roi Glover
RDE - Erasmus James (R)
SLB - Derrick Johnson (R)
MLB - Dat Nguyen
WLB - Al Singleton
LCB - Terrance Newman
SS - Roy Williams
FS - Brodney Pool (R)
RCB - Anthony Henry

A solid group, certainly capable of grabbing a wild card berth.

like a dog

Panamanian Cowboy
Reaction score
Looking at it, I actually like the second, sans Howard, scenario a lot better then the first. Fills all needs and leaves the Cowboys younger and (I think), better in the long run.

The one concern is age at WR, but you can't get everything done in one year. Key, Glenn, Morgan and co. should be good for another season; the emphasis would be on WR in 2006.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Concrete Roy said:
I could live with that and then draft Ernecst Shazor in the 2nd round, but oh we will lose our second rounder. So there for we need to trade our 20th pick back to pick up another second rounder. Also were going to have to move up if we want DJ.

Shazor just seems to be more of a strong safety.. I'd rather have Bullock in the second, he is more the ballhawking FS(if one is drafted and not picked up in FA) we need to slide Roy over to SS