My expectations for the 2024 Dallas Cowboys (prior to preseason games)

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Normally, I would save this for after the preseason. This may change depending on how things look in preseason and TC. However, here are my expectations for the 2024 Dallas Cowboys (prior to the preseason games).

Firstly, let's look at what what did us in against Green Bay, at least from my perspective. While Dak gets a lot of blame (and he does deserve a certain chunk of the blame), I think there were a lot more issues in play. Firstly, I wasn't surprised we lost to Green Bay. Surprised we got blown out? Yes. But surprised we lost? No. Why? Because we couldn't run the ball and stop the run. Aaron Jones owns us. Everyone wants to talk about the Packers' QBs Rodgers and Love. However, Aaron Jones has been a killer to us.

If you look at our blow out losses last year against Arizona, San Francisco, and Buffalo, what did they all have in common? We couldn't establish the ground game and we couldn't stop the run. This was an issue that was not addressed throughout the season.

So, during the offseason, what would you expect the FO to fix? Stopping the run and being in a better position to establish the run game. What did they do? Well............. basically expect Mazi to be the answer (makes sense as he was a 1st round pick) and drafted a decent one in round 7. We are going to need this to work, but, if Mazi still doesn't have much explosiveness and still can't hold the line (expected for a NT), then we are going to expect a 7th rounder to do it. I hope Rodgers can become basically Jay Ratcliff (minus the physical confrontations with Jerry). However, this isn't exactly an area that I'm not necessarily confident that we have fixed this area. As for the ground game, we could have had Derrick Henry. We didn't. We brought back Zeke. Hopefully this works....but yeah.

Let's have a look at the 2024 schedule from ESPN:

Sun, 9/8
@
CLE

2Sun, 9/15
vs
NO

3Sun, 9/22
vs
BAL

4Thu, 9/26
@
NYG

5Sun, 10/6
@
PIT

6Sun, 10/13
vs
DET

7BYE WEEK

8Sun, 10/27
@
SF

9Sun, 11/3
@
ATL

10Sun, 11/10
vs
PHI

11Mon, 11/18
vs
HOU

12Sun, 11/24
@
WSH

13Thu, 11/28
vs
NYG

14Mon, 12/9
vs
CIN

15Sun, 12/15
@
CAR

16Sun, 12/22
vs
TB

17Sun, 12/29
@
PHI

18Sun, 1/5
vs
WSH

So, the teams that scare me with their running abilities are the following: Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincy, Baltimore, San Francisco, Philly, and Detroit. I think we may have some trouble with Houston with Stroud, but our defence is good against the pass. I think we probably keep it close with Houston and can beat them. Especially if we get pass rush against them. However, given where we struggled, I think we will be 9-8. I think we split with Philly (who will win the division because NFC East rules). I think we just edge out Houston in OT. I think we sweep New York. I think we split with Washington. I think we will get swept by the AFC North. I think we will get blown out by San Francisco. I think we lose to Detroit (who are going to want vengeance for last year). I think we should win the rest of our games (though, Atlanta might be surprisingly tough with Bijan Robinson and Kirk Cousins). 9-8 should get us into the playoffs as a WC team.

I think the NFC playoffs will be the following (by seed): San Francisco, Philly, Detroit, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Dallas, and Chicago (I think the Bears will edge out Green Bay for the last playoff spot). So, yes, I think we get eliminated by Detroit (who I think will end up in the SB this year, tbf).

So, basically, I'm expecting a 9-8 season and a one and done season losing to Detroit.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
11-6 and win the NFCE.

I have us splitting with the Eagles as usual. There will be a game we win that some do not expect us to win. But also will lose a game we are expected win.
I have us sweeping the NYG, and Washington until they show they improved. But I would not be surprised we split with Washington. Which is why they need to win a game not expected to. Such as against SF or even Baltimore. As I can guarantee even though a home game. Many will pick Baltimore to win.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
11-6 and win the NFCE.

I have us splitting with the Eagles as usual. There will be a game we win that some do not expect us to win. But also will lose a game we are expected win.
I have us sweeping the NYG, and Washington until they show they improved. But I would not be surprised we split with Washington. Which is why they need to win a game not expected to. Such as against SF or even Baltimore. As I can guarantee even though a home game. Many will pick Baltimore to win.

I could see 11-6, but I don't think we win the division. It just doesn't happen where a team wins the NFC East twice. There are kids about to enter college who were born before that happened.