My Final 52

jday

Reaction score
Quarterback

Dak Prescott

Jameill Showers (unless something better gets placed on waivers and Showers shows no progress in Preseason game 4)

I said this on another thread debating rather or not Romo should be placed on IR. I do it for 2 reasons: 1. It saves a spot on the Final 53 and 2. It protects the Cowboys and Romo from themselves by preventing him and the coaches from putting him back out there too soon. Showers is really hanging by a thread here; he hasn’t been terrible…on the other hand, he hasn’t been good enough to suggest he could replace an injured starter in the regular season and win games. If someone presumably better should be cut, I suspect the Cowboys will still try to stash him on the PS again because he can help the team in other ways at practice.

Running Back

Ezekiel Elliott

Alfred Morris

Darius Jackson

Lance Dunbar

I’m still trying to move McFadden, if possible. One thing that I think could happen in the next couple of days is a straight up swap of players to avoid risking the waiver wire. Granted, the Cowboys are in good position to get pretty much whoever they want, but should a team further down the waiver list want a solid to great backup at running back and should they simultaneously be cutting a player from a position of strength (QB, LB, DE, S) that would be an instant upgrade for the Cowboys, a win/win trade could materialize.

Full Back

Keith Smith

I’m not crazy about him. But, he can help every side of the ball; offense, defense and special teams. The coaches love guys with his brand of versatility, but his presence very well may mean a more deserving player at a deeper position will get cut.

Wide Receiver

Dez Bryant

Terrance Williams

Cole Beasley

Brice Butler

Lucky Whitehead

I honestly do not believe there is anything the remaining receivers can do against the Texans to force the Cowboys to keep 6. But if they do, I think it could be Vince Mayle over Andy Jones because of what he adds to special teams and because he’s a much bigger target that could be very useful in Redzone situations.

Tight End

Jason Witten

Gavon Escobar

Geoff Swaim

Austin Traylor

Simply put, Escobar is an unnecessary extravagance on the Cowboys offense. I would almost rather go with Swaim over Escobar as Witten’s backup for what he adds in blocking and I am still holding out hope they cut weight with Escobar and see what they can get on the open market. I’m not as keen on using the aforementioned player swap option because Escobar is worth more than anyone who would be getting cut from a final 53. I think the best the Cowboys could hope for at this point in the season is a 2017 draft pick, if they are to walk away from the deal with fair value.

Offensive Line

Tyron Smith

La’el Collins

Travis Frederick

Zack Martin

Doug Free

Ronald Leary

Joe Looney

Chaz Green

From my last 53 to now there is no change. Though, I do expect they will be watching the waiver wire to potentially add a ninth or replace one of the above 8.

Defensive End

Demarcus Lawrence (4 game suspension)

Randall Gregory (10 game suspension)

Ryan Russell

David Irving

Benson Mayowa

Charles Tapper

I’m going somewhat light here, because Kyle Wilber, Tyrone Crawford and Jack Crawford can add to the DE rotation, as well. Once Lawrence comes back, I think they will actually stand pat at DE and make a cut elsewhere on the roster. I don’t see the Cowboys moving away from the above four any time soon, however, I have heard discussion of potentially red shirting Tapper if for no other reason than they still have no idea what they have with him and keeping a guy you just don’t know about can be very difficult for a head coach.

Defensive Tackle

Tyrone Crawford

Terrell McClain

Jack Crawford

Cedric Thorton

Maliek Collins

If you still buy into the Tyrone Crawford hype and what he could potentially be in that critical 3Tech DT position, you really have to like what the Cowboys have here. Cedric Thorton has been extremely disruptive in the snaps I have seen him throughout preseason. Like Tapper, Collins hasn’t been healthy enough for the Cowboys to get a good idea of what he adds, but as a 3rd round pick, he is also safe for now.

Linebacker

Sean Lee

Kyle Wilber

Anthony Hitchens

Mark Nzeocha

Justin Durant

Andrew Gachkar

Damien Wilson

Jaylon could very well take one of the above spots should his nerve ever fire, but for now we have to assume it will be 2017 before we see why the Cowboys took the risk they did in the second round….if ever. This is another position where the Cowboys will be scanning the waiver wire very closely. And, perhaps, the Cowboys could possibly package some of the starting quality aforementioned players to bring someone in of note…but I seriously doubt it. Few teams in the league are excited about their MLB situation, in terms of depth, and no team is going to trade their starter, so this may be the face of LB for the foreseeable future. The Anthony Hitchens of 2 years ago still has not made an appearance, but the Cowboys, I’m sure, are still holding on to hope for the second year linebacker; he needs to step-up in a big way to replace Rolando.

Corner

Orlando Scandrick

Morris Claiborne

Brandon Carr

Defi Olatoye

Anthony Brown

The only difference from my last 53 is no Josh Thomas who was placed on IR. Otherwise, I think I may actually like this group better than I have for a long time. Of course, a big part of that is the fact that both Carr and Claiborne are playing in the last year of their current contracts and will be leaving it all on the field to secure what will likely be their last contract, if not with the Cowboys, somewhere else.

Safety

Byron Jones

Barry Church

Jeff Heath

Kavon Frazier

JJ Wilcox

I know I am going to get destroyed for this, but for the time being I am holding on to Wilcox for what he adds on special teams and for the moment, he is the devil we know. Of course, the waiver wire will be watched for a potential upgrade at his spot and a trade once again could occur….to replace Wilcox not trade him. We would have to package him with another player just to get another team to take him for nothing in return.

Special Teams

Dan Bailey

Chris Jones

L.P. LaDouceur

No change….ever. These guys will likely be kept Cowboys until the day they retire, this bunch is that solid.

Now, if you count all of the players I have kept, there are only 52. I went over and over and over the roster looking for that 53rd guy and I have to be honest; I don’t think he is on the team. But for argument sake, the following list are guy’s on the bubble who could potentially snag that last spot and yet rarely if ever be on the final 46 for a game (unless injury necessitates a promotion), so basically they would be a very small step above PS candidate.

Rico Gaithers – the forgotten man, it seems clear with the limited exposure he has had in preseason that the Cowboys plan all along was to try and sneak him to the practice squad. Afterall, as a head coach of another team you will be hard pressed convincing whoever is in charge of personnel to go add a guy to the 53 that has no tape playing football whatsoever…but it could happen, and if the Cowboys don’t find anything they like on the waiver wire, they may just go ahead and keep him on their 53 to make sure they keep their project…though I seriously doubt it.

Rodney Coe – Tonight is huge for Coe…and he is fortunate injuries have played out the way they have, otherwise he might have been cut during the first round from 90 to 75. On paper, he looks like he could be a player, but nothing we have seen thus far agrees. Nevertheless, with a strong showing against the Texans tonight he very well could be kept if for no other reason than the Cowboys may have to slide the Crawfords out to DE in the absence of the suspended players, and will need more depth at DT for the rotation as a result.

Deon King / Derek Akunne – For me, these two guys are basically the same player. Undersized, from smaller schools, but based on reports you can at least describe them as “try hards.” Once again, a player from the waiver wire may make them expendable, but I could see 1, if not both, still being retained to the practice squad.

Lawrence Akoye / Mike McAdoo – I don’t know who they have been in practice, but they really haven’t shown up in games, which for many is all that actually counts. Having said that, the Cowboys do have a numbers issue on the DL due to suspensions and therefore one, or even possibly both, could be retained as guys who rarely if ever actually dress for the game.

Dax Swanson – So this would definitely be a luxury-keep. He just so happens to look really, really good at returning the ball…but from what we have seen, that is about it. And since we already have that guy in Whitehead and Dunbar, it will be hard for him to make the team. But given his gift at returning, I doubt if he is on the streets for very long. If he could possibly make some plays tonight on other special teams or show he is a good project at CB, the Cowboys might keep him around…though, again, I doubt it.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the bottom 7 of a 53 man roster is the most unsafe place to be on a team. As the Cowboys bring guys back from injury and suspensions, it will be these guy that will hit the waiver wire, so don’t get too attached.

Did I miss someone again (last time it was Shaneil Jenkins)?

erod

Reaction score
So you don't want that last guy? You get to keep 53.

EDIT: I see your comment later. I actually thing there are 2-3 guys headed this way that aren't here now.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I dont understand IR'ing Romo. If we can carry two kickers and Danny Mcray to do nothing but cover kicks in previous seasons they can find a way to put romo on the 53 and make him inactive each week.

I would keep Romo on the 53 over Traylor, Dunbar or Wilcox.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
What has Ryan Russell done to stay on the roster? At least Wilcox is a core ST guy. Russell contributes nothing to this roster

erod

Reaction score
I dont understand IR'ing Romo. If we can carry two kickers and Danny Mcray to do nothing but cover kicks in previous seasons they can find a way to put romo on the 53 and make him inactive each week.

I would keep Romo on the 53 over Traylor, Dunbar or Wilcox.

He will be. I see no way they limit their options by putting him on IR unless that MRI reveals something new.

Last edited:

wrongway

Reaction score
Quarterback

Dak Prescott

Jameill Showers (unless something better gets placed on waivers and Showers shows no progress in Preseason game 4)

I said this on another thread debating rather or not Romo should be placed on IR. I do it for 2 reasons: 1. It saves a spot on the Final 53 and 2. It protects the Cowboys and Romo from themselves by preventing him and the coaches from putting him back out there too soon. Showers is really hanging by a thread here; he hasn’t been terrible…on the other hand, he hasn’t been good enough to suggest he could replace an injured starter in the regular season and win games. If someone presumably better should be cut, I suspect the Cowboys will still try to stash him on the PS again because he can help the team in other ways at practice.

Running Back

Ezekiel Elliott

Alfred Morris

Darius Jackson

Lance Dunbar

I’m still trying to move McFadden, if possible. One thing that I think could happen in the next couple of days is a straight up swap of players to avoid risking the waiver wire. Granted, the Cowboys are in good position to get pretty much whoever they want, but should a team further down the waiver list want a solid to great backup at running back and should they simultaneously be cutting a player from a position of strength (QB, LB, DE, S) that would be an instant upgrade for the Cowboys, a win/win trade could materialize.

Full Back

Keith Smith

I’m not crazy about him. But, he can help every side of the ball; offense, defense and special teams. The coaches love guys with his brand of versatility, but his presence very well may mean a more deserving player at a deeper position will get cut.

Wide Receiver

Dez Bryant

Terrance Williams

Cole Beasley

Brice Butler

Lucky Whitehead

I honestly do not believe there is anything the remaining receivers can do against the Texans to force the Cowboys to keep 6. But if they do, I think it could be Vince Mayle over Andy Jones because of what he adds to special teams and because he’s a much bigger target that could be very useful in Redzone situations.

Tight End

Jason Witten

Gavon Escobar

Geoff Swaim

Austin Traylor

Simply put, Escobar is an unnecessary extravagance on the Cowboys offense. I would almost rather go with Swaim over Escobar as Witten’s backup for what he adds in blocking and I am still holding out hope they cut weight with Escobar and see what they can get on the open market. I’m not as keen on using the aforementioned player swap option because Escobar is worth more than anyone who would be getting cut from a final 53. I think the best the Cowboys could hope for at this point in the season is a 2017 draft pick, if they are to walk away from the deal with fair value.

Offensive Line

Tyron Smith

La’el Collins

Travis Frederick

Zack Martin

Doug Free

Ronald Leary

Joe Looney

Chaz Green

From my last 53 to now there is no change. Though, I do expect they will be watching the waiver wire to potentially add a ninth or replace one of the above 8.

Defensive End

Ryan Russell

David Irving

Benson Mayowa

Charles Tapper

I’m going somewhat light here, because Kyle Wilber, Tyrone Crawford and Jack Crawford can add to the DE rotation, as well. Once Lawrence comes back, I think they will actually stand pat at DE and make a cut elsewhere on the roster. I don’t see the Cowboys moving away from the above four any time soon, however, I have heard discussion of potentially red shirting Tapper if for no other reason than they still have no idea what they have with him and keeping a guy you just don’t know about can be very difficult for a head coach.

Defensive Tackle

Tyrone Crawford

Terrell McClain

Jack Crawford

Cedric Thorton

Maliek Collins

If you still buy into the Tyrone Crawford hype and what he could potentially be in that critical 3Tech DT position, you really have to like what the Cowboys have here. Cedric Thorton has been extremely disruptive in the snaps I have seen him throughout preseason. Like Tapper, Collins hasn’t been healthy enough for the Cowboys to get a good idea of what he adds, but as a 3rd round pick, he is also safe for now.

Linebacker

Sean Lee

Kyle Wilber

Anthony Hitchens

Mark Nzeocha

Justin Durant

Andrew Gachkar

Damien Wilson

Jaylon could very well take one of the above spots should his nerve ever fire, but for now we have to assume it will be 2017 before we see why the Cowboys took the risk they did in the second round….if ever. This is another position where the Cowboys will be scanning the waiver wire very closely. And, perhaps, the Cowboys could possibly package some of the starting quality aforementioned players to bring someone in of note…but I seriously doubt it. Few teams in the league are excited about their MLB situation, in terms of depth, and no team is going to trade their starter, so this may be the face of LB for the foreseeable future. The Anthony Hitchens of 2 years ago still has not made an appearance, but the Cowboys, I’m sure, are still holding on to hope for the second year linebacker; he needs to step-up in a big way to replace Rolando.

Corner

Orlando Scandrick

Morris Claiborne

Brandon Carr

Defi Olatoye

Anthony Brown

The only difference from my last 53 is no Josh Thomas who was placed on IR. Otherwise, I think I may actually like this group better than I have for a long time. Of course, a big part of that is the fact that both Carr and Claiborne are playing in the last year of their current contracts and will be leaving it all on the field to secure what will likely be their last contract, if not with the Cowboys, somewhere else.

Safety

Byron Jones

Barry Church

Jeff Heath

Kavon Frazier

JJ Wilcox

I know I am going to get destroyed for this, but for the time being I am holding on to Wilcox for what he adds on special teams and for the moment, he is the devil we know. Of course, the waiver wire will be watched for a potential upgrade at his spot and a trade once again could occur….to replace Wilcox not trade him. We would have to package him with another player just to get another team to take him for nothing in return.

Special Teams

Dan Bailey

Chris Jones

L.P. LaDouceur

No change….ever. These guys will likely be kept Cowboys until the day they retire, this bunch is that solid.

Now, if you count all of the players I have kept, there are only 52. I went over and over and over the roster looking for that 53rd guy and I have to be honest; I don’t think he is on the team. But for argument sake, the following list are guy’s on the bubble who could potentially snag that last spot and yet rarely if ever be on the final 46 for a game (unless injury necessitates a promotion), so basically they would be a very small step above PS candidate.

Rico Gaithers – the forgotten man, it seems clear with the limited exposure he has had in preseason that the Cowboys plan all along was to try and sneak him to the practice squad. Afterall, as a head coach of another team you will be hard pressed convincing whoever is in charge of personnel to go add a guy to the 53 that has no tape playing football whatsoever…but it could happen, and if the Cowboys don’t find anything they like on the waiver wire, they may just go ahead and keep him on their 53 to make sure they keep their project…though I seriously doubt it.

Rodney Coe – Tonight is huge for Coe…and he is fortunate injuries have played out the way they have, otherwise he might have been cut during the first round from 90 to 75. On paper, he looks like he could be a player, but nothing we have seen thus far agrees. Nevertheless, with a strong showing against the Texans tonight he very well could be kept if for no other reason than the Cowboys may have to slide the Crawfords out to DE in the absence of the suspended players, and will need more depth at DT for the rotation as a result.

Deon King / Derek Akunne – For me, these two guys are basically the same player. Undersized, from smaller schools, but based on reports you can at least describe them as “try hards.” Once again, a player from the waiver wire may make them expendable, but I could see 1, if not both, still being retained to the practice squad.

Lawrence Akoye / Mike McAdoo – I don’t know who they have been in practice, but they really haven’t shown up in games, which for many is all that actually counts. Having said that, the Cowboys do have a numbers issue on the DL due to suspensions and therefore one, or even possibly both, could be retained as guys who rarely if ever actually dress for the game.

Dax Swanson – So this would definitely be a luxury-keep. He just so happens to look really, really good at returning the ball…but from what we have seen, that is about it. And since we already have that guy in Whitehead and Dunbar, it will be hard for him to make the team. But given his gift at returning, I doubt if he is on the streets for very long. If he could possibly make some plays tonight on other special teams or show he is a good project at CB, the Cowboys might keep him around…though, again, I doubt it.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the bottom 7 of a 53 man roster is the most unsafe place to be on a team. As the Cowboys bring guys back from injury and suspensions, it will be these guy that will hit the waiver wire, so don’t get too attached.

I so hope you're wrong about Rico. I would love to see him learn from witten all year. I think your right though.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Quarterback

Dak Prescott

Running Back

Ezekiel Elliott

Alfred Morris

Darius Jackson

Lance Dunbar

Full Back

Keith Smith

Wide Receiver

Dez Bryant

Terrance Williams

Cole Beasley

Brice Butler

Lucky Whitehead

Tight End

Jason Witten

Gavon Escobar

Geoff Swaim

Austin Traylor

Offensive Line

Tyron Smith

La’el Collins

Travis Frederick

Zack Martin

Doug Free

Ronald Leary

Joe Looney

Chaz Green

Defensive End

Ryan Russell

David Irving

Benson Mayowa

Charles Tapper

Defensive Tackle

Tyrone Crawford

Terrell McClain

Jack Crawford

Cedric Thorton

Maliek Collins

Linebacker

Sean Lee

Kyle Wilber

Anthony Hitchens

Mark Nzeocha

Justin Durant

Andrew Gachkar

Damien Wilson

Corner

Orlando Scandrick

Morris Claiborne

Brandon Carr

Defi Olatoye

Anthony Brown

Safety

Byron Jones

Barry Church

Jeff Heath

Kavon Frazier

JJ Wilcox

Special Teams

Dan Bailey

Chris Jones

L.P. LaDouceur

Kudos on a great list, other than Wilcox, I have little issue at all. Well done.

One question I have on Romo. I've heard that he must be on the 53-man roster initially in order to qualify for any eventual IR to return designation. And if that's the case anyway, I think they will very likely keep him on the 53-man roster until his return.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Quarterback

Dak Prescott

Running Back

Ezekiel Elliott

Alfred Morris

Darius Jackson

Lance Dunbar

Full Back

Keith Smith

Wide Receiver

Dez Bryant

Terrance Williams

Cole Beasley

Brice Butler

Lucky Whitehead

Tight End

Jason Witten

Gavon Escobar

Geoff Swaim

Austin Traylor

Offensive Line

Tyron Smith

La’el Collins

Travis Frederick

Zack Martin

Doug Free

Ronald Leary

Joe Looney

Chaz Green

Defensive End

Ryan Russell

David Irving

Benson Mayowa

Charles Tapper

Defensive Tackle

Tyrone Crawford

Terrell McClain

Jack Crawford

Cedric Thorton

Maliek Collins

Linebacker

Sean Lee

Kyle Wilber

Anthony Hitchens

Mark Nzeocha

Justin Durant

Andrew Gachkar

Damien Wilson

Corner

Orlando Scandrick

Morris Claiborne

Brandon Carr

Defi Olatoye

Anthony Brown

Safety

Byron Jones

Barry Church

Jeff Heath

Kavon Frazier

JJ Wilcox

Special Teams

Dan Bailey

Chris Jones

L.P. LaDouceur

Yes. Great list. A lot of hard work and thought went into it. Thanks.

jday

Reaction score
Kudos on a great list, other than Wilcox, I have little issue at all. Well done.

One question I have on Romo. I've heard that he must be on the 53-man roster initially in order to qualify for any eventual IR to return designation. And if that's the case anyway, I think they will very likely keep him on the 53-man roster until his return.
Yes. Great list. A lot of hard work and thought went into it. Thanks.
Kind of you to say sir. Thanks.

jday

Reaction score

I honestly was not aware. But if memory serves, there is a designation that will stash him for like six weeks and it keeps him off the final 53.