My meaningless thoughts on the game...

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
by Yakuza Rich
http://yakuzarich.blogspot.com

- That's how you lose a game. You constantly make mistakes and it's fair to say they lost the game in the trenches.

- The ugliness of the special teams in preseason is starting to rear its ugly head.

- There were some other problems on offense, but Romo has to do a better job of taking care of the ball. If he wants to be known as the guy that can't win a playoff game, just keep on doing what he's been doing.

- That being said, Colombo and Flo were pretty bad today. In fact, Flo was lousy. They managed to make Travis Laboy look like Deacon Jones. The Cardinals DE's would just line up out wide and use the speed rush (and sprinkle a few inside rushes just to keep them off balance).

- I can't blame the defense too much, but it just seems like they rarely step it up when we need it or could really use it. The offense will put the team up by 7 points and it seems like the opposing team is almost guaranteed to score a touchdown on the next possession.

- Yes, we lack team speed. One of the things I've noticed in the first 5 games is not that we miss tackles, but usually the opposing player can break a tackle and then make a play. If you watch the rest of the league that usually doesn't happen because their defense is fast enough that if they miss a tackle at least that slows the ballcarrier down and somebody else can make the tackle. They didn't miss a tackle on the 3rd and 17 play, but the ball was tipped and we should have enough speed on defense to make a stop after something like that happens. Instead we didn't.

- I'm still awaiting to see where the Greg Ellis Jerry Jones paid for and who complains every offseason is.

- Anthony Henry is pretty much done with. We need to go Jones and Newman (when he's back healthy) in the starting lineup.

- Folk will probably get knocked, but I give him credit for nailing the 52 yarder with the game on the line. We've come a long ways since the Parcells days of me being legitimately nervous on extra point attempts and thinking anything made over 40 yards was pure, unadulterated luck.

- Hey, at least we didn't lose to the Rams....at home.

- I predicted the Cowboys to win, basically because they've been so strong on the road with Romo...but this game just had a bad feeling to it. We're still in good position to make the playoffs, but as much as I hate to say it, it's noticeable to me that unless they get hot in the end like the Giants did, this team isn't a Super Bowl team. The defense doesn't give you the stops that championship defenses give and Romo is too turnover prone and the offense revolves too much around getting Owens going. And with this week's distractions and an owner that I like, but who also likes the spotlight and putting his team in the spotlight which leads to distractions, it's just a recipe for underachievement and disappointment to me.

YAKUZA

sharph20

Reaction score
I'm not saying Newman would have shut down Fitz but having him out there (healthy) wouldn't have hurt.

Greg Ellis has been very disappointing this season. Spencer should be starting in his spot and we should be subbing with ellis instead.

dfense

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;2330511 said:
by Yakuza Rich

<snip>

YAKUZA
Let's add to that.

Coaching - Althought he Cowboys defense played well in the first half, alot of that was the pass rush and Cardinal mistakes. Corners still play 10 yards off for most of the plays. When Henry is lined up that far off on the slant for the TD, the receiver can go left or right and Henry's pants are down. Why they refuse to jam at the line is beyond any comprehension I can come up with. The entire third quarter was full of 10 yard gaines on this defense. Let's not even get into the safeties and how messed up they are. When Fitzgerald goes up for that jump ball, why is the safety is standing behind him watching? He should be timing a shot to Fitzgerald's liver.

They give up 20+ points and long drives every week now.

How about waisting an onside kick by rushing the 3rd and 1 and then missing the kick? When it's obvious TO doesn't know the play and Romo is yelling across the line, the COACH should call a time out! Then they miss the kick.

Wasted opportunity after opportunity. I hate to say it but lack of discipline is growing.

Smith22

Reaction score
dfense;2330811 said:
Let's add to that.

Coaching - Althought he Cowboys defense played well in the first half, alot of that was the pass rush and Cardinal mistakes. Corners still play 10 yards off for most of the plays. When Henry is lined up that far off on the slant for the TD, the receiver can go left or right and Henry's pants are down. Why they refuse to jam at the line is beyond any comprehension I can come up with. The entire third quarter was full of 10 yard gaines on this defense. Let's not even get into the safeties and how messed up they are. When Fitzgerald goes up for that jump ball, why is the safety is standing behind him watching? He should be timing a shot to Fitzgerald's liver.

They give up 20+ points and long drives every week now.

How about waisting an onside kick by rushing the 3rd and 1 and then missing the kick? When it's obvious TO doesn't know the play and Romo is yelling across the line, the COACH should call a time out! Then they miss the kick.

Wasted opportunity after opportunity. I hate to say it but lack of discipline is growing.

Special teams gave up at least 14 this game.

jimmy40

Reaction score
sharph20;2330652 said:
I'm not saying Newman would have shut down Fitz but having him out there (healthy) wouldn't have hurt.
Boldin didn't play either.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ya know Rich, I really wished you waited until Mon, so you're "meaningless" thoughts aren't lost in the postgame aftermath...

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
by Yakuza Rich

- That's how you lose a game. You constantly make mistakes and it's fair to say they lost the game in the trenches.

that was about as uninspiring of an OL performance I have ever seen...just got killed up front in run and pass blocking...no excuse for it either...I still say the DL fit the 4-3 better, and nobody is going to convince me otherwise.

- The ugliness of the special teams in preseason is starting to rear its ugly head.

starting to? that train left the station a long time ago...our special teams are garbage, which is a direct reflection of the clown coaching them

- There were some other problems on offense, but Romo has to do a better job of taking care of the ball. If he wants to be known as the guy that can't win a playoff game, just keep on doing what he's been doing.

he definitely has taken a step back IMO, in alot of areas.

- That being said, Colombo and Flo were pretty bad today. In fact, Flo was lousy. They managed to make Travis Laboy look like Deacon Jones. The Cardinals DE's would just line up out wide and use the speed rush (and sprinkle a few inside rushes just to keep them off balance).

they were all terrible up front...I thought that was Tucker/Petitti at tackle today

- I can't blame the defense too much, but it just seems like they rarely step it up when we need it or could really use it. The offense will put the team up by 7 points and it seems like the opposing team is almost guaranteed to score a touchdown on the next possession.

I can...they folded like a house of cards again in the 2nd half...at one point they had the ball 3 times, scored on all 3 possessions...3rd and 17, they call a give up screen and the guys runs for 18-19 yds...horrible tackling (as usual)...pass rush hit and miss...horrendous coverage by the CB's

- Yes, we lack team speed. One of the things I've noticed in the first 5 games is not that we miss tackles, but usually the opposing player can break a tackle and then make a play. If you watch the rest of the league that usually doesn't happen because their defense is fast enough that if they miss a tackle at least that slows the ballcarrier down and somebody else can make the tackle. They didn't miss a tackle on the 3rd and 17 play, but the ball was tipped and we should have enough speed on defense to make a stop after something like that happens. Instead we didn't.

we have speed, the problem is they dont run to the ball the way well coached teams do...some of that is also the passive coverages they play, but they do not gang tackle much

- I'm still awaiting to see where the Greg Ellis Jerry Jones paid for and who complains every offseason is.

like most of the other defensive guys, he isnt doing much

- Anthony Henry is pretty much done with. We need to go Jones and Newman (when he's back healthy) in the starting lineup.

Henry needs to go to safety permanently

- Folk will probably get knocked, but I give him credit for nailing the 52 yarder with the game on the line. We've come a long ways since the Parcells days of me being legitimately nervous on extra point attempts and thinking anything made over 40 yards was pure, unadulterated luck.

Folk wont get any junk from me...he is going to miss a few kicks, his kickoffs could be better, but they arnt THAT bad...the guys easily one of the ebst 3-4-5 kickers in the league

- Hey, at least we didn't lose to the Rams....at home.

so what? we lost to the Skins at home, who just lost to the 0-4 Rams

- I predicted the Cowboys to win, basically because they've been so strong on the road with Romo...but this game just had a bad feeling to it. We're still in good position to make the playoffs, but as much as I hate to say it, it's noticeable to me that unless they get hot in the end like the Giants did, this team isn't a Super Bowl team. The defense doesn't give you the stops that championship defenses give and Romo is too turnover prone and the offense revolves too much around getting Owens going. And with this week's distractions and an owner that I like, but who also likes the spotlight and putting his team in the spotlight which leads to distractions, it's just a recipe for underachievement and disappointment to me.

right now, I dont see how we make the playoffs...the offense is going south, the defense is awful and the special teams are the worst in the league...we have some good coaches on this staff, but Phillips, Stewart & Read are all major weaknesses...they look like an 8-8 or 9-7 team at best to me

DTK

Reaction score
I want to add a few:

• why didn't we ever have a back or TE stay in and at least chip a DE?
  • where are the crossing routes and the motion for TO?
  • special teams coach--do we have one? Avezzano's fire alone would be great right now.
  • Trade for Roy Williams tomorrow!
  • on the bright side: Zach flying around the ball, Spencer making plays, and the Commanders losing.

Smith22

Reaction score
dbair1967;2331107 said:
right now, I dont see how we make the playoffs...the offense is going south, the defense is awful and the special teams are the worst in the league

The defense is awful? The same one that held the Cards scoreless in the 1st half? You do realize the Cards scored 2 TDs on special teams right?

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
The Cards are very talented and we did not give our best.......so this happens.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
by Yakuza Rich

Ellis hasn't been great, but I'm also waiting for Anthony Spencer to show me why he was a 1st round pick as a pass rusher ... and was Tank Johnson secretly suspended again? Because I haven't heard his name since the last episode of Hard Knocks.

Smith22

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2331227 said:
Ellis hasn't been great, but I'm also waiting for Anthony Spencer to show me why he was a 1st round pick as a pass rusher ... and was Tank Johnson secretly suspended again? Because I haven't heard his name since the last episode of Hard Knocks.

Ellis has disappeared, and Spencer is injured again according to another thread. Spencer did play well in the 1st half, then I didn't see him much after that, which I am assuming is because of the hamstring injury. Tank has been invisible since he arrived in Dallas.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2331227 said:

that's Wade right there

he prefers vets starting

but Ellis is doing jack ****, yet he's still starting, he should be relegated to being a 3rd down pass-rusher

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Smith22;2331177 said:
The defense is awful? The same one that held the Cards scoreless in the 1st half? You do realize the Cards scored 2 TDs on special teams right?

we got two gift turnovers in the first half, the defense had nothing to do with either one of those fumbles

oh and what happened in the 2nd half? first 3 possessions, 3 scores...went through us like we werent even there...3rd and 17 with all the momentum, Cards call a give up screen pass and they easily get the first down even after the ball was deflected..why? nobody anywwhere near the receiver..Warner completed 11 straight at one point in the 2nd half

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2331273 said:
that's Wade right there

he prefers vets starting

but Ellis is doing jack ****, yet he's still starting, he should be relegated to being a 3rd down pass-rusher

He should be cut him and Tank are so invisible on our defense.

Smith22

Reaction score
dbair1967;2331276 said:
we got two gift turnovers in the first half, the defense had nothing to do with either one of those fumbles

oh and what happened in the 2nd half? first 3 possessions, 3 scores...went through us like we werent even there...3rd and 17 with all the momentum, Cards call a give up screen pass and they easily get the first down even after the ball was deflected..why? nobody anywwhere near the receiver..Warner completed 11 straight at one point in the 2nd half

We held a high scoring team to 17 points on offense. Giving our defense no credit for the turnovers seem a bit insane. Who exactly recovered them? The offense? Hustle does mean something in this game you know. That is exactly why TO was mouthing off to Gurode, who happened to miss a ball laying right in front of him.

The defense kept us in this game in the 1st half, while Romo was busy fumbling 5 TIMES through the course of the game, not even including the INT he threw that Crayton managed to knock loose.

There is plenty of blame to go around after this loss, but calling the defense AWFUL seems a bit much. Special teams on the other hand......

And we will make he playoffs. Feel free to put your money where your mouth is if you disagree. It's a long season, we have time to improve.