My No Austin Cowboys mock (1st round mock forthcoming)

irvin4evs

Benched
Reaction score
I figure everyone's more interested in Cowboys than non-Cowboys, so I'll do this mock first. I'm assuming Austin is gone as of right now. If the Jets really want Austin they can give him a major pay raise in the first couple years of a multi-year deal, which would interfere with us resigning Ware.

I think Jerry wants Austin, but in the end I think he'll decide to settle for the 2nd rounder (again, assuming the Jets really want Austin and make it a pain in our *** to keep him).

Trade explanations are listed underneath.
-------------------------------------------------------

2nd (#38) (Cincinnati): Rashad Johnson, S Alabama

I'm very, very skeptical that Delmas will be available at this point, but I'm hopeful nonetheless. If he's not here, I would have no problem with taking Rashad Johnson this high. I think the safeties are gonna go before most people are projecting, particularly the free safety-types, and I think they'll go fast.

I think that, really, our only viable safety options are Delmas, Johnson and Martin, and to a lesser extent, McBath.

2nd (#50) (Cleveland): Clint Sintim, OLB Virginia

-As far as I know we haven't shown extensive interest in him, but he seems like a guy our recent scouting efforts would target on draft day. We know the values firsthand of Al Groh products, and this is a guy who perhaps provides more immediate impact than anyone we could draft. He'd also provide Anthony Spencer an incentive to spend less time nursing hangovers

2nd (#53) (NY-Jets): Brian Robiskie, WR Ohio State

-He's not a blazer, but he gets open and makes plays. He and Hakeem Nicks are the most NFL-ready WRs in the draft in my estimation. Derrick Williams is another possibility in this range.

4th (#117): Dorrell Scott, DT Clemson

-He might not fall this far, but I think he and Terrance Taylor are our best hopes as far as NT picks.

5th (#156): Andrew Gardner, OT Georgia Tech

-A guy with a lot of experience and intangibles but questionable athleticism. He projects more as a RT than a Flozell replacement, but it's not like we couldn't use the depth anyway.

5th (#172) (Comp): Quan Crosby, WR Texas

-Like Robiskie, he's a guy who produces without the measurables. His age might make him fall this far, and his style of play is a good fit with Romo I think.

6th (#208) (Comp): Londen Fryar, CB Western Michigan

-Delmas' teammate would provide some solid competition at the backup CB spots. Three year starter.

7th (#227): DeAndre Levy, LB Wisconsin

-Wishful thinking--I doubt he falls this far. Still, Levy can potentially be groomed to play next to James, and he has extensive experience as a down edge passrusher. He has a lot of experience and is a pretty good athlete.

TRADES

Greg Ellis, #51, #166 for #38

+I'm hoping their interest in our turds and the Zimmer connection will make it happen.

#69, #101, #197, #210 for #50

+I have no idea if the Browns would be interested, but the trade chart thingers say this is pretty even.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
irvin4evs;2726210 said:
I figure everyone's more interested in Cowboys than non-Cowboys, so I'll do this mock first. I'm assuming Austin is gone as of right now. If the Jets really want Austin they can give him a major pay raise in the first couple years of a multi-year deal, which would interfere with us resigning Ware.

I think Jerry wants Austin, but in the end I think he'll decide to settle for the 2nd rounder (again, assuming the Jets really want Austin and make it a pain in our *** to keep him).

Trade explanations are listed underneath.
-------------------------------------------------------

2nd (#38) (Cincinnati): Rashad Johnson, S Alabama

I'm very, very skeptical that Delmas will be available at this point, but I'm hopeful nonetheless. If he's not here, I would have no problem with taking Rashad Johnson this high. I think the safeties are gonna go before most people are projecting, particularly the free safety-types, and I think they'll go fast.

I think that, really, our only viable safety options are Delmas, Johnson and Martin, and to a lesser extent, McBath.

2nd (#50) (Cleveland): Clint Sintim, OLB Virginia

-As far as I know we haven't shown extensive interest in him, but he seems like a guy our recent scouting efforts would target on draft day. We know the values firsthand of Al Groh products, and this is a guy who perhaps provides more immediate impact than anyone we could draft. He'd also provide Anthony Spencer an incentive to spend less time nursing hangovers

2nd (#53) (NY-Jets): Brian Robiskie, WR Ohio State

-He's not a blazer, but he gets open and makes plays. He and Hakeem Nicks are the most NFL-ready WRs in the draft in my estimation. Derrick Williams is another possibility in this range.

4th (#117): Dorrell Scott, DT Clemson

-He might not fall this far, but I think he and Terrance Taylor are our best hopes as far as NT picks.

5th (#156): Andrew Gardner, OT Georgia Tech

-A guy with a lot of experience and intangibles but questionable athleticism. He projects more as a RT than a Flozell replacement, but it's not like we couldn't use the depth anyway.

5th (#172) (Comp): Quan Crosby, WR Texas

-Like Robiskie, he's a guy who produces without the measurables. His age might make him fall this far, and his style of play is a good fit with Romo I think.

6th (#208) (Comp): Londen Fryar, CB Western Michigan

-Delmas' teammate would provide some solid competition at the backup CB spots. Three year starter.

7th (#227): DeAndre Levy, LB Wisconsin

-Wishful thinking--I doubt he falls this far. Still, Levy can potentially be groomed to play next to James, and he has extensive experience as a down edge passrusher. He has a lot of experience and is a pretty good athlete.

TRADES

Greg Ellis, #51, #166 for #38

+I'm hoping their interest in our turds and the Zimmer connection will make it happen.

#69, #101, #197, #210 for #50

+I have no idea if the Browns would be interested, but the trade chart thingers say this is pretty even.

My only problem with it is we will not need to trade up to get Johnson. We go that high we need to look at Sean Smith or Delmas. Also would be lucky if Robiskie is there in that range.

Really you traded up for a guy we would not need to trade up for and your next two are the two we would need to trade up for.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2726226 said:
My only problem with it is we will not need to trade up to get Johnson. We go that high we need to look at Sean Smith or Delmas. Also would be lucky if Robiskie is there in that range.

Really you traded up for a guy we would not need to trade up for and your next two are the two we would need to trade up for.
Yep, I agree. Johnson will be there at #51. If we are trading up for a safety, it better be Sean Smith or Delmas. But if we walk away with that draft, I am a very happy man.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
JonJon;2726235 said:
Yep, I agree. Johnson will be there at #51. If we are trading up for a safety, it better be Sean Smith or Delmas. But if we walk away with that draft, I am a very happy man.

Me too, I would be real happy. I would just adjust the order of which the players are picked.

irvin4evs

Benched
Reaction score
Why do we expect Sean Smith and Delmas to be available in that range? They're the top two players at a premium position.

A premium position that this draft is weak in, I might add.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Decent mock though I'd rather take an extra OL/CB than a LB. No reason to trade up for Johnson, I'm not the biggest fan of him and #38 is much too high. I hope we don't feel obligated to take a safety; we could get by with what we have this year if need be.

Love the Robiskie pick. I think he's going to go a bit earlier than some expect (possibly in front of guys like Nicks).