My observations of the Giants game

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Well, being up here in Albany, I get wayyyy too much Giants info and Giants games. Sure do miss being at Fort Hood and watching the boys preseason. Anyway, here is what my thoughts were. I will comment almost exclusively on the first string.

First of all, Giants won this game and it wasn't even close in my eyes.

I have that same feeling watching this game as I did watching the Eagles-Raiders game. Are the Giants that good or are the Chiefs that bad. I have to say that the Chiefs can't be as bad as the Raiders, but they were not very impressive.
First of all, Kyle Turley has no business being in this league anymore. Buck and Aikman were saying he looked like he weighed 270 (on the side line when they saw him before the game) at tackle.:eek: That is just insanely small. It was hard to judge if the KC Oline was that bad or the Giants DL was that good. I think it was both. Giants have good DEs if not very good. I am not ready to call them great, but they are close. They also have great depth w/ Tuck and the new guy that I would not get his name spelled correctly even if I tried. They provide a great outside push. It is a wonder they didn'y get 20 sacks against us w/ Tucker and Petitti last year. Flo better be healed and Columbo is either gonna have to round into shape or we are gonna have to keep a TE in for help.
Larry Johson Fantasy owners.... Don't expect his 5.2 average w/ the line they have. He is a great RB, but a good OL makes a huge difference. He was stopped in the backfield a few times.
I have to note, I think KC will take a big step backwards this year. I just do not like Herm as a coach. They interviewed LJ during the game and he was talking about how much fun him and Herm had had so far this camp..... OK, that spells disaster. This isn't camp fun. I want players that fear yet respect you. I think this team will be in the basement in two years. Before the game, Troy and Buck mentioned how good Herm had done in NY. Are they kidding? His roster got worse every year. Now his team needs an overhaul. Expect the same in KC in two year.
KC isn't gonna be good this year. 1 note is that KCs defense just looks small. They remind me of our defense when Parcells first got here. No pass rush whatsoever. The Giants line looks good, but I am telling you, KC has no major talent on the DL.
Brandon Jacobs- he looks like a pretty good player. He is big, but doesn't look like he moves like a big guy. Actually, I thought he was Tiki on a few plays, He has nifty movers and he covers a bunch of ground fast. Tiki going down would hurt, but I think Jacobs would fill in nicely. I am hoping he doesn't have a high ceiling from where he is now......
Eli- he isn't Peyton yet. His throws aren't tight yet. Many flutter in the air. He does find the open receiver thought.....
Giants negatives--- I think they can be beat in the secondary. Not just a little, but alot. KC could have scored on the second drive had it not been for penalties. The Pass Rush died off after the first drive. I started to think, KCs receivers or TG, TO, PC and Witten. W/ KCs offense, its hard to believe, but I like our skill players better...... My scary thought is that Romo would do better against this team beause he can avoid the rush and step into the pocket. I am trying not to dwell on this now though.....

All in all, Giants won handily, but that means little to us. I think we have weapons to exploit weaknesses of the Giants. We just need the OL to give DB time. Our defense will contain EM better. KC pass rush was pathetic.

bobtheflob

Reaction score
If the Giants can dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball like that on a regular basis then we should be scared. They did look really good tonight, but I agree with you that I think it was as much KC's futility as it was good play by the Giants. Turley was hopelessly overmatched all game. It made me move LJ down a spot or two on my fantasy rankings.

parchy

Reaction score
The Giants have a good squad, but the Chiefs defense really did look that bad.

DBoys

Reaction score
The Giants are going to be team to worry about this year. Philly just isn't the same team anymore and Washington lacks depth. Giants have good depth and have weapons on both sides of the ball.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I agree. Giants are the team to beat in the East, if not the entire NFC.

About the only thing I can see stumbling them up is that its a volatile collection of characters with high expectations in a pressure cooker city that has to play a brutal schedule. You wonder if Coughlin can keep everyone on the same page if they stumble out of the blocks.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I agree. Giants are the team to beat in the East, if not the entire NFC.

About the only thing I can see stumbling them up is that its a volatile collection of characters with high expectations in a pressure cooker city that has to play a brutal schedule. You wonder if Coughlin can keep everyone on the same page if they stumble out of the blocks.
I can think of another.

*cough*Eli*cough*INTs*cough*

If he's on track, though, they're pretty scary.

JBond

Reaction score
Living in KC, I'll tell you the Chiefs will be drafting in the top 5 next year. They do not have any OT's, WR's or DL that would start on any NFC East team.

Do not over rate the Giants based on this game.

Haley94

Reaction score
They may have lost their Center for a while.

Giants | More on O'Hara's injury
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 20:59:39 -0700

Sports Network reports New York Giants OC Shaun O'Hara (knee) came up lame with what the club says could be a sprained MCL during the team's preseason game Thursday, Aug. 17. It was learned late Thursday night that O'Hara may be lost for some time with the injury. However, the club will not know the definite diagnosis until an MRI is performed Friday, Aug. 18.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
DBoys said:
The Giants are going to be team to worry about this year. Philly just isn't the same team anymore and Washington lacks depth. Giants have good depth and have weapons on both sides of the ball.

I guess we'll see...its only preseason and they played a KC team last night that really looks like a 4-12 team waiting to happen

I still think NYG finishes last

David

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Man, the Giants are stacked on def.....especially the front seven......did you see that rookie DE from BC? Wow!

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
Man, the Giants are stacked on def.....especially the front seven......did you see that rookie DE from BC? Wow!

the flip side of that is the Chiefs have a really bad OL now

when Kyle Turdley is your starting T, you have major issues

David

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Another thing, Arrington was a non-factor in the game. Honestly, he is a big guy and he draws a bunch of attention from the media, but he isn't all that. Anyway, my observation is that the Giants are pretty good, but very beatable. KC just looks like junk. One thing I have to say is that I am very glad we moved to the 3-4. The defense just looks so predictible in the 4-3. You always know the rush is coming from the outside. Even with a very good pass rush on the second drive, KC stepped into the pocket and delivered a few nice strikes to receivers. The Giants might be the team to beat, but I want to see them go against a good defense before I hand them anything....

Kangaroo

Reaction score
dmq said:
Well, being up here in Albany, I get wayyyy too much Giants info and Giants games. Sure do miss being at Fort Hood and watching the boys preseason .

I don't miss the area even though I would get the games.

Hint hint my handle is my highschool mascot :lmao:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:

That's exactly why I don't consider them favorites. They will lose a few to start and once that happens, the grumbling begins.

alancdc

Reaction score
Seems like they still get after the QB. I know KC's Oline is a problem, but from all indications on this board and camp...So is ours. I just see the same problems we had with them last year, especially when we played in NY. Bledsoe got sacked how many times last year against them? Good news I think our D will shut them down as well. OK. Take the under!

capn22

Reaction score
to be fair to Herm -- he was not the GM with the Jets. Evidence is still there that they just don't know what they're doing: Curtis Martin. They have no real plan in place to replac him. Also, QB is still a concern, but at least they have some players there under 40! It shouldn't surprise anyone that Herm wanted to get away from the ownership that can't provide any talent.

Also, Jared Allen is a quality DE -- I can't say much about the rest of the DL there, but keep in mind they have a stud LB in Johnson. They also drafted Hali this year and he should help improve the overall talent on the DL. OL does stink, and that's why you'll continue to see "Hoping for Roaf to return" articles until the season starts...