My Offensive Line Analysis

Manster68

Reaction score
Well, here it is, Wednesday, March 22, and free agency is over two weeks old.

I have had the priviledge of reading rants from many posters over a variety of topics (including the offensive line). Many were very logical and well thought out.

However, this is how I see the offensive line:

There were only two linemen, IMO, who were available in free agency and would be a significant upgrade for any team.

That, of course, would be LeCharles Bentley and Steve Hutchison.

Neither one of these guys were going to Dallas no matter how hard we wished. First off, with the new CBA, both of these players would cost a mint in order to acquire them. Secondly, there was no way Bentley was going to be lured away from his home town of Cleveland.

So, who else was going to come to the Cowboys and instantly and significantly upgrade the offensive line? NOBODY

Do you remember my philosophy: "Free agency is used to fill immediate holes and the draft is used to get the superstars?"

Well, that is what Dallas did when they got Kosier and Fabini.

Now, many of us believe Fabini is an upgrade over Petitti. He will be a short-term fix until Petitti matures.

Kosier was brought in just in case Larry Allen cannot be resigned.

For the last couple of months, I have been campaigning for the Cowboys to draft Manny Lawson or Bobby Carpenter. As much as I want them in Dallas, I think the draft will now go differently.

I have a feeling that the Cowboys will trade down with, say, Indianapolis at #30. Of course, picking up a few more picks in the process.

I am guessing now that here we will see the Cowboys now go after a Deuce Latui, or a Charles Spencer as the real replacement for Larry Allen.

I do think another lineman will be selected as well. Maybe an Andrew Whitworth.

Bottom line is - we better hope that Adams and Fabini fully recover from their injuries and hold the fort until the younger linemen develope (if they develop).

ddh33

Reaction score
I agree that free agency is used for your "quick fixes". But I also believe that offensive line play is usually determined by how well all of the parts work together.

My biggest hope is that Flozell comes back healthy and is able to play at a high level for several more years. If not, this whole group is significantly downgraded.

I believe that Kosier and Peterman will ultimately be upgrades over Larry Allen.

I think Al Johnson and Andre Gurode will both be better next season.

I'm optimistic that Rivera will also be healthier, and therefore, better next season.

I believe that Pettiti could end up the most improved player on the team next season, whether he starts or not. I feel like Fabini is a very solid player though. That position also seems to be upgraded.

Hannam should also be an upgrade as the blocking tight end.

I think Terrell Owens presence will also have a positive impact on the line. I really feel like teams are going to be scared of he and Glenn beating the blitz. In contrast, the most Keyshawn was going to do - if Dallas beat the blitz anyway - was pick up a first down. TO and Glenn may take it to the house...

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Manster68 said:

I have had the priviledge of reading rants from many posters over a variety of topics (including the offensive line). Many were very logical and well thought out.

There were only two linemen, IMO, who were available in free agency and would be a significant upgrade for any team.

Neither one of these guys were going to Dallas no matter how hard we wished. First off, with the new CBA, both of these players would cost a mint in order to acquire them. Secondly, there was no way Bentley was going to be lured away from his home town of Cleveland.

So, who else was going to come to the Cowboys and instantly and significantly upgrade the offensive line? NOBODY

Do you remember my philosophy: "Free agency is used to fill immediate holes and the draft is used to get the superstars?"

Now, many of us believe Fabini is an upgrade over Petitti. He will be a short-term fix until Petitti matures.

For the last couple of months, I have been campaigning for the Cowboys to draft Manny Lawson or Bobby Carpenter. As much as I want them in Dallas, I think the draft will now go differently.

I have a feeling that the Cowboys will trade down with, say, Indianapolis at #30. Of course, picking up a few more picks in the process.

I am guessing now that here we will see the Cowboys now go after a Deuce Latui, or a Charles Spencer as the real replacement for Larry Allen.

Bottom line is - we better hope that Adams and Fabini fully recover from their injuries and hold the fort until the younger linemen develope (if they develop).

Very good post with lot's of validity to it.....I also believe we will draft lineman early and trade our pick for extra picks......Lawson would be nice!

Manster68

Reaction score
ddh33 said:
I agree that free agency is used for your "quick fixes". But I also believe that offensive line play is usually determined by how well all of the parts work together.

My biggest hope is that Flozell comes back healthy and is able to play at a high level for several more years. If not, this whole group is significantly downgraded.

I believe that Kosier and Peterman will ultimately be upgrades over Larry Allen.

I think Al Johnson and Andre Gurode will both be better next season.

I'm optimistic that Rivera will also be healthier, and therefore, better next season.

I believe that Pettiti could end up the most improved player on the team next season, whether he starts or not. I feel like Fabini is a very solid player though. That position also seems to be upgraded.

Hannam should also be an upgrade as the blocking tight end.

I think Terrell Owens presence will also have a positive impact on the line. I really feel like teams are going to be scared of he and Glenn beating the blitz. In contrast, the most Keyshawn was going to do - if Dallas beat the blitz anyway - was pick up a first down. TO and Glenn may take it to the house...

Oh, don't get me wrong. I have high hopes for Petitti. He was obviouosly overwhelmed his rookie season. Hopefully he will gain from that rough experience and go on to have a solid career.

What we fans need to remember is that sometimes it takes several years before an offensive lineman matures. This becomes even more frustrating in today's "Win Now" NFL as these guys do not get the time they need. So a team will get rid of them and they flourish with another team.

That is what happened with Ron Stone in 1995 (to the Giants benefit). This is what I am hoping for with Kyle Kosier.

Remember though that Newton, Gogan, and Tuenei did not see a Pro Bowl until after their fifth season.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
Manster68 said:

Dude..............I swear to god you and me must think exactly the same. I couldn't have written down my thoughts any better than what you just did. I coudln't agree with you more. And I think that is EXACTLY how our draft will go down.
Damn fine post.:bow:

Manster68

Reaction score
Why thank you.

But deep down inside, I'm still hoping for Manny Lawson to be there at #18...

...and Dallas takes him.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
I do not share the optimism about this group of players. Kosier is a solid depth player, but when he cant even keep your job on the Lions, what does that say about him? Its telling me he isnt that good. Rivera last season was a trainwreck, and I dont see any reason to expect anything different. He is a year older, and once players pass the age of 34, they arent going to be getting any better at any point in the future. There is still no help at center, where Johnson got consistently manhandled against the run. Unless some one at the ranch knows Barry Bond's people, I do not see how his performance magically changes. There comes a time when you have to call a spade a spade, and stop crossing your fingers and toes that jesus will intervine and make him a decent football player.

The tackles should be set, but the middle of our line is terrifying. It should keep Bledsoe and JJ up at night wondering *** they are going to do as the season progresses. The management cannot be through upgrading the line, they desperately need a young guard prospect just in case my predicted worse case scenario happens.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
All the experts say that this draft has a lot of quality offensive linemen in the first day, but only a couple worthy in the first. So I think we will still fill defensive holes first and finish up with the OL picks. A trade down in the first is probably the plan if at all possible.

braw

Reaction score
Petitti's situation last year was that he was a natural LT, who could over power you in college; but in the NFL its about speed. He has a good stance gets off the ball good. The problem was during pass blocking his first step for many years was a left pivot opening his hips to the left. The last line of his defense was his left arm, while his right is to keep his balnce as he is shifting to his left.

When he went to Rt he first had a hard time in pass blocking using his right arm as his defense and gain balance with his left. It was not a natural shift for him to pivot to his right leg first. He started to over compensate, he then got beaten on the inside. Then he started to bait them to come inside but after awhile it looked like he was trying to guess and lost alittle confidence.

Here in Dallas we believe in the big OL but Parcells and Belichek want smart athletic OL. We needed last year for the TE and Tackle to give JUJO the corner. Then soften the middle with a quick draw.

The new OL will be about movement and less about mauling. You have 4 finesse OL and one mauler(hotel). Just look at who are the best running teams and the have finesse OL.

Justis

Reaction score
Fabini would be a significent run blocking upgrade over Pettiti. Guys a vet, and happened to be a blocker for the NFL's leading rusher in 2004. Add Ryan Hannam and I think our Oline's run blocking should be exponentially upgraded.