my pre-daft thoughts

CowboyChris

Reaction score
first and foremost, i really hope Jerry doesnt try and get to cute with our picks, personally i think jerry seeks too much attention during the whole draft fiasco. my fingers are crossed that he doesnt try one of these trade downs for future picks or something silly like trading down than trying to trade backup into the 1st round.

ok onto the rest, this team needs to add 2 playmakers without a doubt, one on offense (WR) and one in the secondary. our window of opprotunity is here right now. we blew it last year, but neverthless we have at least 3 to 4 years to win a SB with this roster.

personally i feel we should try and wrap up the trade for Pacman, i have all the confidence that we can keep him out of trouble, a gamble of a 5th or 6th rounder for him is peanuts for the potential he could bring in the secondary and as a punt returner.

if we have to give our #22 pick for Roy Williams, Larry Fitz or even Chad Johnson, i would be all for it, any of those players would be serious playmakers for our WR corps, i would give the #28 pick for Boldin, but not our 22nd. neverthless i would feel alot better going this route instead of drafting a rookie WR.

if the above scenario doesnt workout, we must draft secondary help with our 22nd pick, i cant predict who will fall to us, but even if we have to trade up to get a great cb prospect, we must do so.

2 more things, i am not in favor of drafting a RB in the 1st 2 rounds, these ridiculous trade up scenarios for DMAC shouldnt even be considered, i personally do not like Felix Jones either. if we had Emmitt in is prime right now, noone would be seeking to draft a RB either, im not saying Barber is Emmitt, but he can more than handle the load in our running game. we can pick up a FA RB at a later time along with a RB in the middle rounds of the draft.

oh and lastly i persoanlly would like us to bring in a more capable backup QB than Brad Johnson, god forbid anything happen to Romo this team would have zero chance of going all the way under Johnson, just my 2 cents :star:

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
CowboyChris;2039014 said:
if we have to give our #22 pick for Roy Williams, Larry Fitz or even Chad Johnson, i would be all for it, any of those players would be serious playmakers for our WR corps, i would give the #28 pick for Boldin, but not our 22nd. neverthless i would feel alot better going this route instead of drafting a rookie WR.
Why wouldn't you give up a 22 for Boldin? He is a pro-bowl reciever that is only 27 years old...just curious.

2 more things, i am not in favor of drafting a RB in the 1st 2 rounds, these ridiculous trade up scenarios for DMAC shouldnt even be considered, i personally do not like Felix Jones either. if we had Emmitt in is prime right now, noone would be seeking to draft a RB either, im not saying Barber is Emmitt, but he can more than handle the load in our running game. we can pick up a FA RB at a later time along with a RB in the middle rounds of the draft.
The thing is, barber takes a beating with the way he runs. It's too much of a risk for Dallas to not have someone capable of starting in the event that he goes down. Like you said, we are close, and if Barber goes down, I would feel a lot more confident having a starter-qualitiy back up than someone that we could sign from the practice squad.

oh and lastly i persoanlly would like us to bring in a more capable backup QB than Brad Johnson, god forbid anything happen to Romo this team would have zero chance of going all the way under Johnson, just my 2 cents
I'm with you on that one. I think we made a mistake letting Matt Moore walk last year. He has plenty upside.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
first and foremost, i really hope Jerry doesnt try and get to cute with our picks, personally i think jerry seeks too much attention during the whole draft fiasco. my fingers are crossed that he doesnt try one of these trade downs for future picks or something silly like trading down than trying to trade backup into the 1st round.

Why?
It worked out for us last year getting Spencer and the #22 pick this year which should of been a lot higher!

ok onto the rest, this team needs to add 2 playmakers without a doubt, one on offense (WR) and one in the secondary. our window of opprotunity is here right now. we blew it last year, but neverthless we have at least 3 to 4 years to win a SB with this roster.

Actually we have about 7-8 years since we're a VERY YOUNG TEAM with Romo at Q.B. who's only gonna get better!
Our window of opportunity is gonna be the next 8 years, not just a short window!

Really?
Is he not worth the 6 extra draft slots we'd lose?
I'd much rather have Roy Williams, but I'd take him Chad or Boldin!
if the above scenario doesnt workout, we must draft secondary help with our 22nd pick, i cant predict who will fall to us, but even if we have to trade up to get a great cb prospect, we must do so.

Disagree, unless a top one falls, no reason to reach for a pick here with such a deep C.B. class!

oh and lastly i persoanlly would like us to bring in a more capable backup QB than Brad Johnson, god forbid anything happen to Romo this team would have zero chance of going all the way under Johnson, just my 2 cents :star:

Just don't knwo if anyone is out there better then him right now!
Johnson would be fine, a savvy vet who would just drive the bus and let our running game and receivers and defense do all the work!

slotshot

Reaction score
I'm with you on that one. I think we made a mistake letting Matt Moore walk last year. He has plenty upside.

While I certainly agree, and the Cowboys bear some culpability for thinking they could possibly get away with it, they didn't actually release him. They tried to sneak him onto the practice squad and got caught being too cute.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
jdub2k4;2040316 said:
Why wouldn't you give up a 22 for Boldin? He is a pro-bowl reciever that is only 27 years old...just curious.

The thing is, barber takes a beating with the way he runs. It's too much of a risk for Dallas to not have someone capable of starting in the event that he goes down. Like you said, we are close, and if Barber goes down, I would feel a lot more confident having a starter-qualitiy back up than someone that we could sign from the practice squad.

i just dont feel Boldin's stock is worth the 22nd pick, didnt NE get Randy Moss for a 4th rounder?

as for Barber, i dont see how we are gonna sign him to over 30 million and he isnt even the starter? i feel like he has earned the starting position, we can pick up a 3rd down type of back via the FA route with a young RB to bring along.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
CowboyChris;2040896 said:
i just dont feel Boldin's stock is worth the 22nd pick, didnt NE get Randy Moss for a 4th rounder?

Totally different situation!
One was over 30, and a MAJOR LOCKER ROOM headache they just wanted to get rid of for anything they could!

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
first and foremost, i really hope Jerry doesnt try and get to cute with our picks, personally i think jerry seeks too much attention during the whole draft fiasco. my fingers are crossed that he doesnt try one of these trade downs for future picks

Why would that bother you, Chris??

If a team drafting early in the second round wants to get up into the first, say to get a QB like Brian Brohm, and is willing to fork over their first rounder in 09 and their early second rounder this year, why not go for it?? Those teams drafting early in the second are fairly good bets to have a less-than-.500 season in 08, leading to a rather early pick in 09...

personally i feel we should try and wrap up the trade for Pacman, i have all the confidence that we can keep him out of trouble

I don't... for every success we've had with a Terrell Owens, we've had a failure with an Alonzo Spellman... more to the point, I kinda doubt that ANYBODY can make that fool wake up and smell the coffee...

neverthless i would feel alot better going this route instead of drafting a rookie WR.

That works for me, too...

2 more things, i am not in favor of drafting a RB in the 1st 2 rounds

That would be beyond foolish...

im not saying Barber is Emmitt, but he can more than handle the load in our running game.

You're quite sure that Marion, with his violent, physical running style, can handle 350 carries in a season without breaking down??

I'm not...

I agree here, too... so I'm with you on some of this, not with you on some of it...