My Review of the Football Prospectus Book

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I finally got my order of the Footballoutsiders.com "Football Prospectus" book. You can find it here at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...103-7288466-1539037?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

This is sort of similar to the Football Scientist book as they both are influenced by Bill James' work in football.

The big difference is that the Football Scientist is a bit more of a scouting report whereas Football Prospectus crunches a lot of numbers and formulas.

Some of the football prospectus stuff I disagree with (i.e. believing that hangtime is not all that important for punters), but it's a really great book in all. I found it's essays to be a ton more intriguing that the Football Scientist's essays (which were good in their own right).

Put it this way, you'll never figure out which QB had the greatest season in NFL history (it was done by a non-HOF'er who played in the late 70's to early 80's).

Also, there's a great essay on how success in the red zone doesn't have as strong of a correlation to winning as having success in another section of the football field.

Anyway, I thought some of you stat heads would get a kick out of this book. Cost me $16 with shipping.

Rich....

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
to me from 20 to 20 is where the success of your team is, Red Zone is overrated, it's all about in between the 20's.