My Self Indulgent Draft thoughts

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Im out on this guy. Time to let him move on.

I am at the same point with this player too.
It's a tad premature for Waletzko, since he was injured his rookie year. But Ball has seen two years since being injured as a rookie.

Gambit

Reaction score
It's a tad premature for Waletzko, since he was injured his rookie year. But Ball has seen two years since being injured as a rookie.
Waletzko has been injured 2 years too has he not, and both for shoulder injury

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I am a fan of long form posts. I'd rather have a complete set of thoughts than a bunch of one-liners with no depth to them.
I also saw the draft almost precisely as you did.
They appear to have reached a bit for the Backer cause the position was a bigger need than RB in the team's eyes.

A trade down with that 2nd R3 would have worked nicely IMHO.
I have avoided calling for a trade down with the Kneeland of Beebe picks just because of how insane the value was on Dane's boards(both top 50 players) and what I saw from Beebe.

RB is a fair concern; but it is also the position IMHO you are least likely to lose games because of.
Last year we burned up TP pass blocking and weren't great in the Red Zone. Zeke can help in those areas as well as just in chemistry with Dak.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I am a fan of long form posts. I'd rather have a complete set of thoughts than a bunch of one-liners with no depth to them.
I also saw the draft almost precisely as you did.
They appear to have reached a bit for the Backer cause the position was a bigger need than RB in the team's eyes.

A trade down with that 2nd R3 would have worked nicely IMHO.
I have avoided calling for a trade down with the Kneeland of Beebe picks just because of how insane the value was on Dane's boards(both top 50 players) and what I saw from Beebe.

RB is a fair concern; but it is also the position IMHO you are least likely to lose games because of.
Last year we burned up TP pass blocking and weren't great in the Red Zone. Zeke can help in those areas as well as just in chemistry with Dak.
They claimed that there were offers to move down at those picks but I can only find one in that area of Liufau. (It's possible nobody else wanted to take the trade offers)

The only other trade was the pick in front of them. Eagles got 94 and 132 to give the 49ers pick 86 so they could take Puni. One LB (91 Packers - Hopper) was taken between 87 and 94. GB did seem to like the same guys the Cowboys did (Bengals usually do as well). At 132 they could have gotten Braelon Allen or Estime.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I loved what the Cowboys did with trading down and getting that 3rd round pick.
Have to be honest, and I am sure I am not the only one, that wanted the trade down but thought
the Cowboys would be even on the draft charts at best. It was a shock to see how much that trade
favored us point wise.

I wish they would have traded down a tad in the second. Whether it be for a 4th or even another 5th.
I think we might have still gotten Kneeland but if not there were still some good players we would have gotten with a trade down a few spots.

This team painted itself into a corner and need the Draft picks to help out a next to non existent FA period. That is why I wished they would have acquired more picks via trade down or with a few future picks.

Word is that that trade was done while the Cowboys were on the clock and close to end of the time period.
It was also said that they had four players they wanted to fall to them after the trade. The trade was five pick drop but they still
gambled that one of their guys would be there. The list of the four was Tyler Guyton, Jordan Morgan, Graham Barton and one Defensive player in Darius Robinson.

It was no shocker that the Cowboys liked Tyler Guyton a good deal. The majority of mock drafts had him over the others. And it was a position they needed that also lined up with a BPA area.

Stephen said they had about 15 first rounders on their board. It appears they were all gone by the time the 24th pick popped up.

In the past the Cowboys have done a good job getting a number of good players in the UDFA period right after the draft. It is still early at this point but I would imagine I am not the only one that is underwhelmed by the list thus far. I did like the TE from Minnesota. He is a large guy and although he was not known as a great blocker...my guess he can be coached up in that area. Otherwise the list seems meh. It is also amazing that so far there are no RBs on that list. I know the RBs were picked clean but still you would think any UDFA RBs would like to sign here due to having a better chance to get on the team compared to others, even if it is just practice squad.

After the draft Jerry seemed to indicate that they have the ability to trade for players. They talked about this time of year and going forward in the off season that teams will have players that they will be willing to trade or release due to depth. So the idea they might get someone like that via trades...

Interesting point about a possible trade. While in the draft show on the third day while there were long periods of time between picks and no RBs have been drafted. This was again during the last day of the draft before the post draft PC. Bobby Belt said basically the same thing. I do not remember how he phrased it so I will just say he heard rumblings or whispers about a possible trade. He said since they were on the official site broadcast, even though it was also with 105 the fan, that they could not say the name. However to hinted that it was a player that was good a year or so back but not so much last year on a team near them that might get pushed off due to new RB depth. My guess was the team was the Texans and the RB was Dameon Pierce.

They got who they have on the roster right now. It seems they are bringing Zeke back. Zeke is a positive person in the locker room. He can give you some short yard runs and his last year he had a nose for the end zone with 12 rushing TDs. However with he and Royce Freeman they are not fast players. So if they get someone they would want to get a faster player. During the draft show on the last day they got to interview some of the scouts and coaches and concerning the RBs they might want to draft it scout kept saying they wanted someone with Juice...basically talking about someone fast with break away speed.

Speaking of that. This is the second year where they kept passing on RBs when RB was considered a need. Last year at the very end they got Deuce but that was after all the other RBs were picked apart. So Two years in a row.

One could argue that they stuck to their board instead of pushing for a RB by taking a lower rated player on their board.

Oh and screw the Steelers...they took two players I wanted in the OT from Washington and they also took by homer Pick Zach Frazier in the next round. Burn steelers burn.

Now on to the my thoughts on the draft Picks.

I liked Tyler Guyton better once they traded down and got a good deal with getting a third round pick.
As stated before they liked him all along.
There were a large number of O linemen going in the first. I think Guyton was better than the next three OTs in Kinglsey Suamataia, Blake Fisher and Patrick Paul.

Kneeland was a good pick but I wish they would have traded down again a few spots to get another pick or two. I think there was a chance you still could have gotten him or another good player.

With that said. A player that has some pass rushing ability but right now his best ability is stopping the run. Something we have had issues with. So him being rotated in vs the run with others could be a good thing. I will also I have a feeling he will not just be a DE. I think they might use him along the line like they used to do with Tyrone Crawford. I know I know some did not like him. But what he did was be a player they could use in different spots when needed along the Line.

The Cooper BeeBe pick was the best pick for me. LOVED this pick and also love the idea that the trade down that cost us Graham Barton, got us Tyler Guyton AND Beebe. I think he can transition to Center and be a day one starter. Now he will have to compete with Hoffman who seems to be a guy the coaches love but I think Cooper can win out. Another thing to consider is Zack Martin is getting to the point where he might consider retiring. Cooper could be a good player to move over to that spot if need be.

The next Pick in Marist Liuafu. I think this was another chance for a trade down a few spots.
Whether you wanted to take him or another player.
I personally think they gambled thinking they could get a player like RB Ray Davis, Issac Guerendo or Tyrone Tracy would fall to them.
They were wrong.
I think if they traded down a little bit to get a 4th or higher 5th round pick they could have gotten Marist and one of those RBs.
But they did not and I think they should have drafted one of the RBs at that spot and still been able to get a good LB later like Jaylan Ford, Darius Muasau or Nathaniel Watson.
I will also say that with the current RB corps on the team, I do not think it is a stretch at all that one of the top ones that were available at this spot would have a very high chance to be a starter for this team from day one.

With that said. I really liked the 5th round pick of Caelen Carson. That was excellent value at that spot. And CB is a sneaky need for this team right now IMO.

I liked the Ryan Flournoy pick as well. I was hoping for him or B. Rice there. I do not know what the issue was for Rice because he seemed like he should have been drafted earlier and it really worried me when the 49ers kept passing on him even with the pick right before ours.

The Nathan Thomas pick was good value. He was the best OT left according to some. Looks like he is a project player with size and attitude. Churning that roster with the likes of Josh Ball, Earl Bostic, Asim Richards, Dakoda Shepley and Matt Waletzko. Maybe move on from one of those or if he does not make the team/practice team...it was a 7th round pick and it happens.

I was hoping for DT Gabe Hall from Baylor or DT Leonard Taylor III from Miami . Not sure why neither of those two did not get drafted, but it seems they went with another DT in Justin Rogers with the last pick. A big man who is a NT who played in the SEC. Kind of hard to complain about that pick. Whether it pans out is to be seen.

So in the end I liked a good deal of the players drafted. I think I would have went with a few different picks and another trade down or two. But for the most part it seemed like the players taken were rated well in the list of some respected individuals.

This truly could turn out to be a very good draft. I think Guyton might have some growing pains but will turn out. If Cooper stays healthy he should be a great player for us. I do like Marist and think he an be a future starter here. Guy has athletic ability, smarts and the drive. Just did wish it was with a trade down. Carson could turn out to be a great pick for us as well. Flournoy could be a good player for us and I am sure will be used on Special teams.

So I give this draft a B- or C+ if you prefer. I think it could turn out to be much better but I still think they should have traded down a tad more and made some choices to get a good RB and still a good LB. I can appreciate them sticking to their board but I am pretty sure there were RBs there that had similar grades and if a trade down we could have gotten Marist and probably one of those RBs.

I do want to say Thank You to @Risen Star for his annual pick the draft picks. I always enjoy that and wished more would join. Sadly this years contestants did not go so well compared to prior years, of course it is not fair when the Cowboys go all draft without taking a RB.

I would also like to say Thank You and I appreciate you for the group that was in the chat room during the draft. I think it was the first time in a long time where everyone was cordial and did not act like turds and get into fights with others. We all expressed our opinions whether positive or negative towards a pick or lack of picking a player but everyone did so in an adult manner without the petty attacks like in prior years. So again thanks to the Gents that were in there.

Sorry for the long rambling mini novel I used to accuse another old poster of doing all the time. Plus It is late at night/very early in the morning and I still have a ton of my meds I take at night in my system. So again. Sorry for the length.
Not long enough.

Havic

Reaction score
Great post.

I liked the draft overall but was disappointed we didn't get back into the 4th when Wright was taken a few spots ahead of us.