My statistical Analysis -- Jason Fabini in 2004

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
This study followed the same premise as the statistical analysis of the O-Linemen I did in 2005.

I tried my very best to get all of the Left Tackles that played in 2004. Fortunately, there wasn't a lot of switching of Left Tackles or a ton of injuries. If I did get info on a tackle that didn't play the entire 16 game schedule, I prorated his sack yards and penalty yards.

The only other difference is in 2005, I took footballoutsiders.com's percentage of times a ball was ran in a certain zone for my statistics. However, for 2004 they do not give that statistic...so I wasn't able to use it.

RUN BLOCKING

I considered the runs behind Left Tackle and the runs at right defensive end to be the main run blocking responsibility for a Left Tackle.

Combining the Adjusted Line Yards of these zones, in 2004, Fabini finished 1st in the league.

PASS BLOCKING

He did give up 7.25 sacks which was at a rate of giving up 1 sack per 60.4 passing attempts. However, he didn't give up much sack yards given the sacks (only 33.25 sack yards)

PENALTY YARDS

The good news is that he rarely gets called for holding. He only had 1 holding penalty in 2004 and for his 114 game career, he's only had 8 holding calls.

In 2004 he had 8 False Starts. He's had 33 false starts in his career. That's on pace to have 5 False Starts per a 16 game season.

TOTAL YARDS LOST

On a total yards lost (sack yards + penalty yards) he finished 11th in yards lost per game and yards lost per play.

YARDS GAINED - YARDS LOST

Here's how the top 10 stacked in 2004:

1. Walter Jones
2. Brad Hopkins*
3. Jason Fabini
4. Jonas Jennings
5. Matt Light
6. Chris Samuels
7. Barry Sims
8. Marvel Smith
9. Matt Lepsis
10. Tra Thomas

*prorated based on 11 games started

Flozell finished 25th that year and was mainly hurt by the penalty yards he gave up.

FINAL SYNOPSIS

As much as I like to talk about Flozell probably being a much better fit at right tackle, I believe that may be better for Fabini as well. He doesn't give up a ton of sacks and doesn't make a ton of false starts, but if anything, those are his weaknesses. However, he's a rock solid run blocker....and perhaps one of the best. Whereas Flozell has been pretty good lately at keeping the number of sacks he allows down.

If Rivera gets healthy and comes close to returning to his old form and the same happens to Fabini, I wouldn't be surprised to see the strength of the running game revolve around the right side of the O-Line instead of the Left Side like it has for the past 10 years.

Rich................

TonyS

Reaction score
Yakuza...I don't know what everything means, but I think I like it and I definitely appreciate the effort.

lkelly

Reaction score
It seems as if some of our recent tackles have had more holding calls in a calendar year than Fabini has had in his career.

If he is healthy, this should be a good short-term addition.

cleverusername

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
FINAL SYNOPSIS

As much as I like to talk about Flozell probably being a much better fit at right tackle, I believe that may be better for Fabini as well. He doesn't give up a ton of sacks and doesn't make a ton of false starts, but if anything, those are his weaknesses. However, he's a rock solid run blocker....and perhaps one of the best. Whereas Flozell has been pretty good lately at keeping the number of sacks he allows down.

If Rivera gets healthy and comes close to returning to his old form and the same happens to Fabini, I wouldn't be surprised to see the strength of the running game revolve around the right side of the O-Line instead of the Left Side like it has for the past 10 years.

Rich................

If all these guys stay healthy, and we draft someone on the first day, I think our o-line will be improved from last year. That staying healthy part is the key though, especially for these older guys. But, I guess you could say that about every team. I like the Fabini pickup and think he will be a good mentor to Rob Petitti and some of the other younger guys. Who knows? Maybe one of these younger guys will step up if (god forbid) someone goes down. We definitely need to cut down on the penalties. It seemed like we had a lot of false starts last year, and some of these coming from veterans. This is just inexcusable in my book and I trust Parcells will take care of it.

conner01

Reaction score
good stuff, have you looked at kosier in you little studies? i really appreciate your hard work and it's very interesting stuff

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Is there somewhere that list the guys that got those sacks against Fabini? If its guys like Freeney and Jason Taylor, I don't think that so bad either. Impressive about his run blocking ranking.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
114 game career, he's only had 8 holding calls

Any one else find this pretty impressive?

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
conner01 said:
good stuff, have you looked at kosier in you little studies? i really appreciate your hard work and it's very interesting stuff

It's tough with Kosier because he changes positions so often. However, he did start quite a few games at LG last season and I prorated his stats. I had him finishing 16th at LG last year. Larry Allen finished 20th.

Rich............

RedLine

Reaction score
Nice analysis Yakuza. Thanks for all the info! I always think of Flozell as being our best OT, maybe we have a better one on the roster this year :)

NorTex

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
FINAL SYNOPSIS

I wouldn't be surprised to see the strength of the running game revolve around the right side of the O-Line instead of the Left Side like it has for the past 10 years.

Last year we ran better to the right than left, if I remember correctly.

ddh33

Reaction score
I think that one of the major differences in this line as compared to previous lines is that this line will be much more disciplined. I'm optimistic that the penalties will be down. All I want is for the guys to do their jobs.

cleverusername

Reaction score
ddh33 said:
I think that one of the major differences in this line as compared to previous lines is that this line will be much more disciplined. I'm optimistic that the penalties will be down. All I want is for the guys to do their jobs.

I agree. Discipline is key for a successful o-line.:whip:

Galian Beast

Reaction score
How many penalties did Kosier have again? It was like 1 last year right?

Maybe Parcells is really trying to reduce the penalties here.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Oh, but he is an old Parcells guy. :rolleyes:

This is going to be a great signing. He'll slide right in at RT where I think he is a better fit anyway. Give Petitti time to develop and someone to mentor him.

And if he gets hurt, Dallas paid him peanuts. If Petitti surpasses him, great, he backs up both sides and Dallas still pays him peanuts.

It'll be this year's Aaron Glenn, but better.

I think Pete Kendall was the starting left guard in NY for the last two seasons. Not 100% on that though.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
junk said:
Oh, but he is an old Parcells guy. :rolleyes:

This is going to be a great signing. He'll slide right in at RT where I think he is a better fit anyway

Not only that, but his best years in "sacks allowed" wise were in the Parcells/Groh era. He started to give up more sacks (although nothing extreme) in the Herm Edwards system. Herm Edwards' offenses always ran a zone blocking scheme. Parcells/Groh utilize man-to-man which given his physical abilities I think suits him better.

Rich.....

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Parcells has always said that he prefers zone blocking. He was forced to use a mix of man because of the big guys on the line like LA.