My take on the T.O. Signing

rcaldw

Reaction score
Not that my take is all that valuable, just didn't know what else to title this, and I wanted to put my thoughts out there.

1. On the positive - Its not like the Cowboys haven't had controversial players before. I know this has been rehashed many times, but its still worth saying. I agree with people who say you CAN'T compare T.O. to Michael Irvin. Michael may have hurt the team with his off field conduct, but that is not a "direct attack", if I could put it that way. That is INDIRECTLY hurting your team. What T.O. did last year to the Eagles was just a joke. It was a direct attack on your team and putting yourself above your teammates. But I DO have what I think is a good comparison. A talented player who helped us win but was a bad apple. DUANE THOMAS. Duane was self focused, and separated himself from his teammates, but they still won.

I guess I would also add that it is a positive from the standpoint that Jerry is again proving that he is willing to throw his money at our problems, and it says that Parcells is willing to move away, in the name of winning, from his kind of player.

2. On the negative side:

a. T.O. is selfish in the most destructive way possible. He has gotten worse through the years.
b. This almost breathes of desparation to me on the part of Cowboys ownership and leadership. This says that they feel that HAVE to win AT ANY COST. That bothers me a bit.
c. I don't think this will be a long term thing for our team, which goes back, once again, to the presence of Bill Parcells, to the win now mentality, and to the sacrifice of the long term future of the team.

Prediction:

I predict T.O. does well this year, I predict he helps us win games. We are a lock for the playoffs with him. I also predict that he will not last here for long. But then again, what is he, 34 years old now? He may only have 3 years left anyway.