My Third Cowboys Mock of 2007

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
So I've done two previous Mocks. With each one I learn something new to think about. Just for reminders here are how I had my first 2 mocks.

FIRST
1) #22...Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee, 6' 3", 210
2) #53...Dan Bazuin, DE/OLB, Central Michigan, 6' 3", 266
3) #87...John Beck, QB, BYU, 6' 2", 215
4) #118...Josh Beekman, OG, Boston College, 6' 2", 313
5) #149...Chris Henry, RB, Arizona, 5' 11", 230
6) #180...Paul Soliai, DT, Utah, 6' 4", 344
6) #185...Courtney Brown, CB, Cal Poly, 6' 2" 200
7) #193...Jeff Samardzija, WR, Notre Dame, 6' 5", 215
7) #215...Nick Leeson, LS, Va Tech, 6' 2", 255
7) #218...Nick Folk, K, Arizona, 6' 2", 225

SECOND
1) #22...Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee, 6' 3", 210
2) #53...Justin Blalock, OG, Texas, 6'4", 329
3) #87...Dan Bazuin, DE/OLB, Central Michigan, 6' 3", 266
4) #118...John Beck, QB, BYU, 6' 2", 215
5) #149...Doug Datish, C, Ohio State, 6'5", 295
6) #180...Michael Bush, RB, Louisville, 6'3", 247
6) #185...Joe Newton, TE, Oregon State, 6'7", 257
7) #193...Anthony Waters, ILB, Clemson, 6'3", 245
7) #215...Bo Smith, CB, Weber State, 5'10" 193
7) #218...Jeff Samardzija, WR, Notre Dame, 6' 5", 215

Okay, now let's look at how my thoughts have evolved. If they've evolved at all. You get to be the Judge of that.

1) #22...
Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee, 6' 3", 210...Okay, I know, I am a broken record, but I honestly see this as the biggest need on the team and him as the best fit for where we draft. The only option I like as much as getting him is to trade down and add picks.
2) #53...DeMarcus Tyler, DT, North Carolina State, 6'2", 305...Jason Ferguson is not getting any younger and we have no depth behind him. This is the kid who could replace him.
3) #87...Daymeion Hughes, CB, California, 6'2", 188...Simply put, he takes the ball away. In addition to picking off passes he defends them, knocking them away from receivers often. His speed is surprising given how long and lanky he looks from a distance. His closing speed to the ball is combined with his instincts to make him a good option.
4) #118...John Beck, QB, BYU, 6' 2", 215...I honeslty intended not to take him in this Mock. Yet as I was slotting the players once again i just think he's the best value on the board.
5) #149...Allen Barbre, OT, Missouri Southern State, 6'4", 300...He's versatile, projecting as either an OT or OG at the pro level. He's powerful and he's big and only going to get stronger.
6) #180...LeRoy Harris, C, North Carolina State...Again, versatility is his strong point. He drives defenders off the ball. Could develop.
6) #185...Anthony Waters, ILB, Clemson, 6'3", 245...I moved him up a round form my last Mock. He reads plays fast and is an ideal ILB propsect. If he had not had some injuries in 2006 he would be much higher. This is a Chris Canty kind of steal.
7) #193...Laurent Robinson, WR, Illinois State, 6'2", 199...He could rise, but he is still being projected in the 7th rounds for now. He and Meachem could be a WR duo threat for 10 years after Owens and Glenn step aside. Great value.
7) #215...Selvin Young, RB, Texas, 5'11", 217...I'm not convinced Tyson Thomson will remain in the plans with Austin Miles coming on as he did in the KR department. This is a depth choice and insurance against the injury that ended 2006 for TT. I thought Michael Bush might fall out of the draft or to the 6th or 7th round. No way with his college coach needing a RB in Atlanta behind Dunn. He'll go too early to gamble on even though I'd love it.
7) #218...Dante Rosario, TE, Oregon, 6'4", 250...We only have 2 TEs on the roster and need one who can block in case we need it down the road. Safe pick, decent value.

By all means, rip it apart and cuss me if you feel like it. Your thoughts and opinions are always welcome.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Longhorns homer here...

SAY NO TO SELVIN YOUNG.....he will run hard and he can return kicks...he is even a decent blocker in the passing game...

However, he is injury prone and has a severe case of fumblitis.....

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
There must of been a type or something. You have a QB in round 4

I like that you added a DT

Pass rusher?

lostinomiya

Reaction score
my perennial intro is "i dont know what i am talking about but...." these seems to me what should be our priorities should be:

1.pass rusher, OL, nose tackle
2. wide receiver, dbs

i say this because #1 is what i think we might have a more pressing need for.....i want meacham, ross or nelson to be cowboys but cant they wait until next year? or cant we take our chances with later round draft guys?

but of course you have based your draft on quality rather than need i guess...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hos I don't think Beck lasts until round 4 and I don't think Barbre lasts until round 5.

Not a bad effort overall though.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Biggems;1456305 said:
Longhorns homer here...

SAY NO TO SELVIN YOUNG.....he will run hard and he can return kicks...he is even a decent blocker in the passing game...

However, he is injury prone and has a severe case of fumblitis.....
7th round pick...no gamble.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;1456312 said:
There must of been a type or something. You have a QB in round 4

I like that you added a DT

Pass rusher?
I removed Dan Bazuin from this Mock though I had him in the last 2. I believe our pass rush with the current group will be improved enough that it isn't a critical need. Tyler can help and so can Waters. I would be just as happy with Bazuin back in the 3rd as I am with Hughes, I might then look at CB in the 4th or 5th. There is still value at CB.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1456362 said:
Hos I don't think Beck lasts until round 4 and I don't think Barbre lasts until round 5.

Not a bad effort overall though.
I am consulting 3 draft sites for slotting. All 3 have Beck in the 4th, Barbre in the 5th.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;1456460 said:
I am consulting 3 draft sites for slotting. All 3 have Beck in the 4th, Barbre in the 5th.

Ourlads has Beck going with pick #60 to Miami and Barbre with pick #119 to Pittsburgh.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
Do you guys honestly think that Bobby Carpenter is going to be fit to play the strongside? Hostile, I know you think that we should draft Meachem (He looks like a T.O. clone physically if he adds 10lbs, that would be great to have on any team.)because you say we don't have any glaring needs, and I don't agreee with that, btw.

I just think that if we draft a pass-rushing lb like Anthony Spencer, or if somehow Adam Carriker somehow fell to them,:bow: (please god!) then the Cowboys' don't have any faith in Bobby or in Spears at thier respective spots to hold it down.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Hostile;1456298 said:
1) #22...Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee, 6' 3", 210...Okay, I know, I am a broken record, but I honestly see this as the biggest need on the team and him as the best fit for where we draft. The only option I like as much as getting him is to trade down and add picks.
Lots of good players are available at 22. He’s one of them. I’d be tempted to go CB here and pick up a WR a little later in Day 1 (see below).

2) #53...DeMarcus Tyler, DT, North Carolina State, 6'2", 305...Jason Ferguson is not getting any younger and we have no depth behind him. This is the kid who could replace him.
I really like the idea of adding a guy who can relieve Ferguson now and become a starter later. Nose tackle is a key position and a smart investment here.

3) #87...Daymeion Hughes, CB, California, 6'2", 188...Simply put, he takes the ball away. In addition to picking off passes he defends them, knocking them away from receivers often. His speed is surprising given how long and lanky he looks from a distance. His closing speed to the ball is combined with his instincts to make him a good option.
I'm not so excited about this pick.

Apparently I’m becoming a Jacques Reeves fan. I think he took a step forward last year and showed signs of becoming a reliable player. The Cowboys have invested time in him and he seems to be responding.

If the Cowboys are going to use a Day 1 draft choice on a cornerback, I want it to be on a cornerback who is clearly more physically gifted than Reeves. I’d be fine with the Cowboys drafting one of those CBs in the 1st or 2nd round (although I like your Tyler pick).

Otherwise, I'd have the Cowboys wait until Day 2 and draft a CB who is more raw than Hughes, but with similar physical talent.

IMO, spending a 3rd round pick for a Hughes means paying a premium for a polished version of the physical talent that can be found during Rounds 5 - 7.

4) #118...John Beck, QB, BYU, 6' 2", 215...I honestly intended not to take him in this Mock. Yet as I was slotting the players once again i just think he's the best value on the board.
The Cowboys need a solid QB prospect developing on their roster. So, this makes sense.

From the 4th round on, it is so difficult to know who will available during which round. According to Nolan Nawrocki’s (Pro Football Weekly) draft chart http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2007/Value041007.htm:

Beck is a mid-2nd rounder
Barbre is a late 4th rounder
Harris is a mid 3rd rounder
Waters is an early 4th rounder
Robinson is a mid 3rd rounder
Young is a late 7th rounder
Rosario is a late 6th rounder

I’m not going to argue that Nawrocki is some sort of gold standard. But if he’s halfway accurate, several of your second day choices won’t be available where you have the Cowboys picking them.

5) #149...Allen Barbre, OT, Missouri Southern State, 6'4", 300...He's versatile, projecting as either an OT or OG at the pro level. He's powerful and he's big and only going to get stronger.
6) #180...LeRoy Harris, C, North Carolina State...Again, versatility is his strong point. He drives defenders off the ball. Could develop.
6) #185...Anthony Waters, ILB, Clemson, 6'3", 245...I moved him up a round form my last Mock. He reads plays fast and is an ideal ILB propsect. If he had not had some injuries in 2006 he would be much higher. This is a Chris Canty kind of steal.
7) #193...Laurent Robinson, WR, Illinois State, 6'2", 199...He could rise, but he is still being projected in the 7th rounds for now. He and Meachem could be a WR duo threat for 10 years after Owens and Glenn step aside. Great value. .
Robinson would be quite a value here.

7) #215...Selvin Young, RB, Texas, 5'11", 217...I'm not convinced Tyson Thomson will remain in the plans with Austin Miles coming on as he did in the KR department. This is a depth choice and insurance against the injury that ended 2006 for TT. I thought Michael Bush might fall out of the draft or to the 6th or 7th round. No way with his college coach needing a RB in Atlanta behind Dunn. He'll go too early to gamble on even though I'd love it.
I agree, Tyson Thompson is not a lock by any stretch.

7) #218...Dante Rosario, TE, Oregon, 6'4", 250...We only have 2 TEs on the roster and need one who can block in case we need it down the road. Safe pick, decent value.
Not a criticism of this TE pick, but there are two TEs on the practice squad too, aren’t there? (Tony “Europa” Curtis and somebody else).

I like the emphasis that you’ve placed on value. Although it is nearly impossible to predict with accuracy which “best players available” will be available at any particular point in time – especially on Day 2, those are exactly the kinds of players I want the Cowboys to draft.

One other thought:

I hope that Jerry takes another stab at finding a high quality punt returner on Day 2. Crayton isn’t a credible threat and it would be nice not to put Newman at risk.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I like it. I think we'll need a LB, preferably a pass-rushing LB, earlier in the draft. Or maybe a CJ Ah You in the 5th or so. Or we could switch the 2nd pick for a LaMarr Woodley. Both are great values at those positions.

I just don't see what Tank Tyler brings that Mont Stanley doesn't.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
If things fell out that way, I'd be very pleased. I really like the Hughes and Beck picks. I've still yet to make up my mind on the combo of Bowe/Ginn/Meacham at #22; any of those guys would make me happy.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Tank Tyler has a few character concerns that raise red flags for me. Spitting on an official and arrested for assaulting a police officer.

I have some serious doubts that Laurent Robinson lasts until 7. If he is still there at the start of Day 2, I'd move up to draft him. Who do you cut if you draft two receivers?

This team still needs pass rush in my opinion. Edge rushers in particular. No depth behind Ware, Ellis is coming off a major injury and BC may end up inside.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
junk;1456721 said:
Tank Tyler has a few character concerns that raise red flags for me. Spitting on an official and arrested for assaulting a police officer.

I have some serious doubts that Laurent Robinson lasts until 7. If he is still there at the start of Day 2, I'd move up to draft him. Who do you cut if you draft two receivers?

This team still needs pass rush in my opinion. Edge rushers in particular. No depth behind Ware, Ellis is coming off a major injury and BC may end up inside.

I agree on an edge rusher of some sort.

I don't see a big need to draft a RB, another WR (on top of the one drafted in the first round) and I could live without drafting a TE this year.

I would also live without taking a QB earlier than round 5. There are 4 positions I want to "hit" prior to round 5. Those being:

CB
WR
O-lineman of some sort
Edge-rusher

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
junk;1456721 said:

I'm not averse to cutting anyone. Keep the best performing 5 or 6 WRs.

hendog

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1456807 said:

I don't see a big need to draft a RB, another WR (on top of the one drafted in the first round) and I could live without drafting a TE this year.

I would also live without taking a QB earlier than round 5. There are 4 positions I want to "hit" prior to round 5. Those being:

CB
WR
O-lineman of some sort
Edge-rusher

My sentiments also.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1456807 said:

CB
WR
O-lineman of some sort
Edge-rusher

Ditto.