My thoughts on the NFL Europe game after going

Woods

Reaction score
to Wembley to watch it . . . .

1. It's a very nice stadium (and it should be after numerous delays and running well over budget), but the monitor screens inside the stadium are way too small.

2. I don't think the game was quite the success the NFL hoped for. Part of the reason was lack of offense (i.e., scoring) and that the Dolphins stink. And believe me, everyone in the stands, or at the hotdog/beer counters, on the train, etc. knew Miami was winless going into this game. I realize that the NFL had already decided on Miami-Giants match-up some time ago, but what was on the field was a BAD product . . . . and whether you were American or British or European, you knew it.

3. Thank God for the Miami cheerleaders. And I don't mean this in a slimy or dirty way, but they were one of the highlights of the entire game. I really mean it. They worked the crowd and really tried to get the fans excited. I found a lot of respect for their cheerleaders (in a non-sexual way :) ) In any case, the Miami cheerleaders put out a better product than their team.

4. The halftime show was a joke. My high school used to put on better shows. Most of the crowd thought the marching band was a prelude to the "real" halftime show (including me), but once again, we were underwhelmed.

5. Finally, and maybe most importantly, watching an NFL game outside of the US is very different than in the US. There isn't really any "true allegence" with two teams playing outside the US. You don't get the rude and crazy fans who are cursing players, the really passionate masses that you expect in Green Bay, etc. Simply said, they are mostly US players representing US cities. Not European cities. I think this makes it more difficult to get as passionate as you would get if you were in Dallas rooting for the Cowboys, for example. Even if you're not from Dallas, or from Texas, at least you are an American. And the players are American.

It's sort of like if Man U was playing Chelsea in Chicago. Sure, the stadium may be packed. But the EXPERIENCE of actually viewing the game in London with fans who sing the anthems, etc cannot be replicated in Chicago. The experience is just different.

This is not to say that the NFL shouldn't play games outside the US, but IMO, they have to really deliever a top level product. That means, two competitive teams, plus the entire half time experience that only the US knows how to put together, etc. And they probably need to reduce the TV commercial time somehow. Most top sports in England, like soccer and rugby, flow faster. (Not sure how the NFL can do this, but it's something to think about.) In other words, many people went to watch the game for the "total entertainment experience". Not necessarily to watch the Dolphins vs. Giants.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Best case scenero for the NFL is to send the Cowboys somewhere. Thank goodness Jones isn't interested.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1735024 said:
Best case scenero for the NFL is to send the Cowboys somewhere. Thank goodness Jones isn't interested.

I agree with that......don't need it for our Cowboys!

Woods

Reaction score

By the way, I saw a heck of a lot of Cowboys jerseys.

Romo jerseys, TO, and Roy Williams were EVERYWHERE. :)

I tell you who I think would be a big draw - Dallas vs. Chicago.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
You didn't mention anything about the field condition. From what I read, it was a mud-caked, torn-up field. That condition doesn't produce a good football game, it creates error-filled plays, not exactly entertaining.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
03EBZ06;1735031 said:
You didn't mention anything about the field condition. From what I read, it was a mud-caked, torn-up field. That condition doesn't produce a good football game, it creates error-filled plays, not exactly entertaining.

Hard to tell with Miami they make mistakes here in the US all the time. As for the Giants I don't think you can blame the field for some easy TD drops that took place in the game or the fact that Manning seemed to be high with most of this passes. Giants had no issue running the ball in the game but seemed as if they got away from it late in the game.

Woods

Reaction score
03EBZ06;1735031 said:

Yes, the field was a mess as well. You knew by the 2nd half it wasn't going to last.

But I have to say it, I'm not sure if even a good field would have helped Cleo Lemon . . . .

I may sound critical, but that said, I would go and watch another game IF the two teams were competitive. But that said, I'm American. And I love football. But I'm not sure how many Londoners would want to go . . . . as I said, many went for the intial excitement factor.

Luckily London has enough Americans to fill up several stadiums, so the games may be packed regardless . . . .

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I've been looking forward to this report Woods. I remember asking you and Chrissyboy if you were going to the game.

Thanks for taking the time to report back to us. It looked like a horrid game to have to sit through. Glad you at least had the Miami Cheerleaders.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Woods;1735045 said:
Yes, the field was a mess as well. You knew by the 2nd half it wasn't going to last.

But I have to say it, I'm not sure if even a good field would have helped Cleo Lemon . . . .

I may sound critical, but that said, I would go and watch another game IF the two teams were competitive. But that said, I'm American. And I love football. But I'm not sure how many Londoners would want to go . . . . as I said, many went for the intial excitement factor.

Luckily London has enough Americans to fill up several stadiums, so the games may be packed regardless . . . .
Cool, thanks for sharing your experience. :)

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Sorry, not trying to be rude but I don't think the NFL is going to change the way they do things because foreign spectators are used to something different. The NFL is trying to create fans overseas of the game just as we play it in the states. If they don't like it, so be it. I can't stand english soccer. Its boring as hell and nothing exciting can happens for 30-40 minutes at a time. 0-0, 1-0 scores are normal but I can't stand those kind of games. What kind of sucks is that Miami has turned out to be soo bad. If they were the team most people thought and had a few wins, that would have been a much better game and more people would have enjoyed it. Personally, I hope they never go back. The home team loses a home game and making that kind of trip is unfair to both teams.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Cowboys22;1735107 said:
Sorry, not trying to be rude but I don't think the NFL is going to change the way they do things because foreign spectators are used to something different. The NFL is trying to create fans overseas of the game just as we play it in the states. If they don't like it, so be it. I can't stand english soccer. Its boring as hell and nothing exciting can happens for 30-40 minutes at a time. 0-0, 1-0 scores are normal but I can't stand those kind of games. What kind of sucks is that Miami has turned out to be soo bad. If they were the team most people thought and had a few wins, that would have been a much better game and more people would have enjoyed it. Personally, I hope they never go back. The home team loses a home game and making that kind of trip is unfair to both teams.

For Miami losing a home game was not too bad. They seemed to have people pulling for them in England and none were wearing bags on their face or booing them. I doubt they could play a home game in Miami and get a better receptions than they got in this game. :laugh2:

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Woods;1735028 said:

i saw a lot of empty seats. how many does it hold and was it all because of the rain?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Cowboys22;1735107 said:

then they're doomed to failure and abject dismay. you can't go into a new market with a product not even designed for your destination audience and expect it to just take off. i think woods has some good points in allegiances and so forth as well as if you know the team sucks, why pay good $ to go see it just for an oddity factor?

Woods

Reaction score
iceberg;1735126 said:
i saw a lot of empty seats. how many does it hold and was it all because of the rain?

I think the stadium holds about 80,000.

As for the empty seats, around the 4th quarter a lot of people started leaving. But the stadium was full when the game started.

I think the game was pretty boring and people made a head start for the exits.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Woods;1735028 said:

If I had known you in London, I would have asked you to pick up a few books for me at Charing Cross ;)

My wife would have had a few orders for you for Marks & Spencer, House of Fraser et al on Oxford Street.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
from what I've read the Cowboys are far and away the most popular team in London. I wish Jones would reconsider - a Cowboys game there would be much better to get fans.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
Just curious. How many American dollars did it take to get a ticket to the game?

Woods

Reaction score
cowboyeric8;1735437 said:
Just curious. How many American dollars did it take to get a ticket to the game?

I think it cost about $155 or so (somewhere around BPS75 in local currency).

AbeBeta

Reaction score

I'm interested in whether they actually need the team to say yes to this -- I can't imagine any team wanting to leave the country for a game. Can Jerry just say "no?"

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Woods;1735450 said:
I think it cost about $155 or so (somewhere around BPS75 in local currency).

That is inflated b/c the Dollar is so very weak right now