My Thoughts On Today's Game

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
1. The Cowboys did what they needed to do on the road against a bad team. I don't think they felt the need to push the ball downfield today because they wanted longer drives to shorten the game on a short week.
2. Panthers penalties gifted Dallas that touchdown right before the half, otherwise the game would have been a lot tighter as many predicted here.
3. The Fox broadcast crew was crediting Panthers CB Troy Hill all game, but to me he got away with PI against Jalen Tolbert twice.
4. The wildcat gadget plays were a bad idea and cost the Cowboys yards. I don't know, maybe some of Kellen Moore's playbook pages were found on the floor in Big Mike's office this week?
5. DaRon Bland needs to be in the discussion for Defensive Player of the Year.
6. Nice game for the top two draft picks. Both Mazi Smith and Luke Schoonmaker showed up.
7. Solid overall day for Dak. Didn't need to light up the stat sheet today, he stayed patient and took what was there.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The formula of getting ahead so the opposing team throws more allows our D to feast.
im not sure about our run D vs good run games

Still, a whole lot to love about this team overall

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
1. The Cowboys did what they needed to do on the road against a bad team. I don't think they felt the need to push the ball downfield today because they wanted longer drives to shorten the game on a short week.
2. Panthers penalties gifted Dallas that touchdown right before the half, otherwise the game would have been a lot tighter as many predicted here.
3. The Fox broadcast crew was crediting Panthers CB Troy Hill all game, but to me he got away with PI against Jalen Tolbert twice.
4. The wildcat gadget plays were a bad idea and cost the Cowboys yards. I don't know, maybe some of Kellen Moore's playbook pages were found on the floor in Big Mike's office this week?
6. Nice game for the top two draft picks. Both Mazi Smith and Luke Schoonmaker showed up.
7. Solid overall day for Dak. Didn't need to light up the stat sheet today, he stayed patient and took what was there.
Agree about the wildcat formation…hope it never resurfaces again. That was McCarthy stupidity at its finest.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Was thinking Bland should begin the mix for defensive MVP myself.
Totally dominant.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
They had 70 plays. The defense was dominant.

I think the wildcat was a case of newness on the playsheet running out in the second half and wanting to keep our powder dry. That counter into a middle iso for the last TD was a pretty sweet play design executed well.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
4. The wildcat gadget plays were a bad idea and cost the Cowboys yards.
There is fail. Then there is epic fail. Then there was the wildcat plays of today.

I guess they didn't learn their lesson the first time and were stupid enough to try it twice? Jebus.

I've seen more common sense football watching my kid play at the Y while growing up.

BHendri5

Reaction score
Yeah, it was one of those games today but we did what we needed to do, that was win the game convincingly, even if it was a little murky at times. I saw a lot of PI missed calls today, DBs arms wrapped around our receivers before the ball arrived and then reaching but basically they were already wrapping up our receivers before the ball arrived

DuncanIso

Reaction score
They had 70 plays. The defense was dominant.

I think the wildcat was a case of newness on the playsheet running out in the second half and wanting to keep our powder dry. That counter into a middle iso for the last TD was a pretty sweet play design executed well.
Panthers need an OL.

Their defense is bad too.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the 1st half MM seemed he was, not toying, but had some experiments plays and calls.
Make DQ was doing the same thing at times.

The team was a bit off, but then again, they did what was needed on a short week.

Fans want a perfect blowout game against a not so good team. Lions were down by 2 score to the Bears at one time and TB had chance to get close or posit go ahead by 1 point against SF. A red zone turnover, and failed 4th down play ruined that.
But hey, our fans will discount that.

It was a win against a team they were supposed to beat. On the road. Against a team that may not be as bad as their record indicates. That is what good teams do. Even the announcers said that, in case anyone missed it or is having selective memory.

mardwin

Reaction score
The formula of getting ahead so the opposing team throws more allows our D to feast.
im not sure about our run D vs good run games

Still, a whole lot to love about this team overall
Our linebackers are very inconsistent, no real playmaker outside Bell.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
my only issue with the game is our run defense at times.
Statistically we measure out well against it, but thats two games in a row where we had drives where it looked like we were facing prime earl campbell. However that said they only scored 10 points, but still

Gambit

Reaction score
The wildcat gadget plays were a bad idea and cost the Cowboys yards. I don't know, maybe some of Kellen Moore's playbook pages were found on the floor in Big Mike's office this week?
They were very odd, both in Redzone too. Both had different wrinkles to them.

Mike likes to use plays to set up for later, I suspect he was wanting to get on tape those looks for other DCs to have to think about.