My Two Draft Cents

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Here we go- no way we trade down- there just won't be anyone wanting to move up to make it worth our while. The pick will likely be one of the following:

1. Chad Jackson- Getting the #1 receiver on the board at 18 is good value. He won't have to start right away which is a plus. He gives us depth and and a replacement for the aging TO/Glenn.

2. Winston Justice- Don't know if he makes it to 18 if you look at recent drafts but if he is there he will be hard to pass up. BP sees Fabini as a swing backup more than a starter and we can't count on Pettiti being all that better in Year 2. Justice could start at RT for 10 years. None of the other OT's (other than Ferguson) impress me and would be reaches in Round 1.

3. Manny Lawson- I'm beginning to have doubts on whether he makes it to 18. Cleveland and Miami are both shopping for 3-4 OLB's. The thought of him opposite Ware is very tempting but I don't know if OLB is a glaring hole. Singleton played well before his injury and won't make a lot of mistakes.

4. Donte Whitner- FS is the biggest hole on the team with or without Davis on the squad. Whitner would start from Day 1 and would be a huge upgrade from Davis/Dixon/Scott.

I truly believe our first pick is one of these 4 guys.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Teague31 said:
Here we go- no way we trade down- there just won't be anyone wanting to move up to make it worth our while. The pick will likely be one of the following:

1. Chad Jackson- Getting the #1 receiver on the board at 18 is good value. He won't have to start right away which is a plus. He gives us depth and and a replacement for the aging TO/Glenn.

2. Winston Justice- Don't know if he makes it to 18 if you look at recent drafts but if he is there he will be hard to pass up. BP sees Fabini as a swing backup more than a starter and we can't count on Pettiti being all that better in Year 2. Justice could start at RT for 10 years. None of the other OT's (other than Ferguson) impress me and would be reaches in Round 1.

3. Manny Lawson- I'm beginning to have doubts on whether he makes it to 18. Cleveland and Miami are both shopping for 3-4 OLB's. The thought of him opposite Ware is very tempting but I don't know if OLB is a glaring hole. Singleton played well before his injury and won't make a lot of mistakes.

4. Donte Whitner- FS is the biggest hole on the team with or without Davis on the squad. Whitner would start from Day 1 and would be a huge upgrade from Davis/Dixon/Scott.

I truly believe our first pick is one of these 4 guys.
Mix the order up a bit and I agree. I think the 1st pick should contribute immediately, so here's my order. 3, 4, 2, 1.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
I would be happy if Wimbley and Lawson are both there at 18. They probably will and we will trade down. Just like having our pick of RBs and the J.P. Losman trade.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
i dont like the idea of a WR in round 1, the earliest id take a WR is after we address more important needs such as OLB, FS, NT and Oline.

Smith22

Reaction score
If Justice is there at 18, I don't see how we can pass. I agree we need youth at WR, but I can't justify drafting a WR in the 1st knowing he will be a #3 at best for at least 2 years, possibly longer.

Woods

Reaction score
Smith22 said:
If Justice is there at 18, I don't see how we can pass. I agree we need youth at WR, but I can't justify drafting a WR in the 1st knowing he will be a #3 at best for at least 2 years, possibly longer.

Exactly.

I'd like to think our first rounder is a starter either at the start of the season or atleast before the season ends.

We can easily get a WR in the later rounds to groom.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OT, LB, FS...whoever is there and can contribute as a starter will be our pick, and this person will be whoever we have rated highest on the draft board.

If an OL is there, but we have a LB rated higher, go with the LB, or trade down and see if either one is still there for the value.

I think we are in a position from FA that we can rake BPA and not draft for need. But I do like all 4 players listed, I would be happy with any of them. Except I would wait on a WR. Maybe throw Bobby Carpenter in there, and Jason Allen seems to be moving up the board.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
bobbie brewskie said:
i dont like the idea of a WR in round 1, the earliest id take a WR is after we address more important needs such as OLB, FS, NT and Oline.

I would like the idea of a good young WR in the first round if there were any in this draft who fit that criteria.