MySa Blog: Could Wade call offensive plays too?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could Wade call offensive plays too?

IRVING - Wade Phillips took over the defense last week, and the result was the Cowboys holding the Bucs without a touchdown en route to a 13-9 win Sunday.

So could Phillips' magic touch also benefit the offense?

"I got my hands full right now," said Phillips, shooting down the possibility of helping offensive coordinator Jason Garrett call plays. "Tom Landry did it. He did both sides of the ball and was a head coach, but I think it's almost near impossible right now."

But that doesn't mean Phillips won't give Garrett plenty of guidance and advice this week as the Cowboys look for a way to spark their stumbling offense.

"Yeah, I have ideas and things I suggest now and then," Phillips said. "But my expertise are not in offense, and I'm not going to say I can call the plays and know how to do this and that and know what to run. Mine is more game management and certain things we might want to run the ball and pass the ball and those situations."

Comments [0 Posted]: Read - Post

Wade says he tossed game ball
IRVING - Jerry Jones made a big deal about presenting a game ball to Wade Phillips after Sunday's 13-9 win over Tampa, saying it was the first time he ever gave one to a coach.

Phillips apparently wasn't impressed.

"I actually put it in the laundry (basket in the locker room)," said Phillips, downplaying his role in the team snapping a two-game losing streak. " I don't have it. I appreciate it. It really wasn't me. I'd like to say it was me and only me, but it wasn't. It was really the players first and the assistant coaches next."

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
Wow...

how quickly the media's view of Wade changes...

From wanting him off this team to wondering if he can call both offensive and defensive plays.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
What I don't get is why he wasn't personally calling the plays from the first day he got here. It seems silly to put what is considered your strength and the reason you were brought here in the first place in the hands of someone else.

khiladi

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2379989 said:

IRVING - Wade Phillips took over the defense last week, and the result was the Cowboys holding the Bucs without a touchdown en route to a 13-9 win Sunday.

"I got my hands full right now," said Phillips, shooting down the possibility of helping offensive coordinator Jason Garrett call plays. "Tom Landry did it. He did both sides of the ball and was a head coach, but I think it's almost near impossible right now."

But that doesn't mean Phillips won't give Garrett plenty of guidance and advice this week as the Cowboys look for a way to spark their stumbling offense.

"Yeah, I have ideas and things I suggest now and then," Phillips said. "But my expertise are not in offense, and I'm not going to say I can call the plays and know how to do this and that and know what to run. Mine is more game management and certain things we might want to run the ball and pass the ball and those situations."

IRVING - Jerry Jones made a big deal about presenting a game ball to Wade Phillips after Sunday's 13-9 win over Tampa, saying it was the first time he ever gave one to a coach.

"I actually put it in the laundry (basket in the locker room)," said Phillips, downplaying his role in the team snapping a two-game losing streak. " I don't have it. I appreciate it. It really wasn't me. I'd like to say it was me and only me, but it wasn't. It was really the players first and the assistant coaches next."

Can everybody in Dallas not act like they one the Super Bowl because they played well in one game? Act like it was business that needed to be taken care of....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
khiladi;2380209 said:
Can everybody in Dallas not act like they one the Super Bowl because they played well in one game? Act like it was business that needed to be taken care of....

Well considering last week when many around here were hollering how the season was over I was just wondering if some can put down the shovel for a while instead of trying to bury this team. I do agree this can't be a 1 game deal and go back to the poor tackling, chasing the ball and indecision from the defensive unit but right now yes these guys should be excited about how they played and they should have a sense of confident that they can go out and play to that level.

yentl911

Reaction score
Wade has a great deal of experience and should have some input/suggestions WRT our offensive approach. He is a great D-Coach and could probably help Red come up with a way to attack the G-Men's Defense.

Deep_South

Reaction score
Sounds like Wade didn't appreciate Jerry Jones shifting focus from the great team effort by giving him a game ball. He is going to have to know that Jerry will find out he essentially threw it away.

I think Jerry made him mad.

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2379989 said:

Wade has to be better than what Red is doing. Garrett is over-rated. He has all of this talent and still can't figure it out. Ya! Next head coach! :lmao2: :lmao:

AKATheRake

Reaction score
khiladi;2380209 said:

:bravo: I wholeheartedly agree and you know what? Wade trashing that ball basically tells me that the coach is thinking exactly as you are. He looked at it like it was taking care of business and put the credit on the players and assistants. I'm one of the Wade is soft activists on this board but he wasn't soft there. I like what I'm hearing about Wade here.

The call the offense cry is a joke, anyone that knows anything about this game knows at most offensively he's involved only for game management and that's how it should be. As the HC he does have to make sure the offense, defense and ST's correlate together along with the circumstances in the game.

When I heard that Jerry gave Wade the game ball, especially after Jerry's comments about "this defensive coordinator helped this coach win today" I can see where Wade is getting degraded now by Jerry. He always was but much more now and Wade isn't buying into that trash with getting rid of the ball. Believe me, we want Wade to stop taking 2nd seat in that locker room. People would think that's an honorable gesture from Jerry but coaches are supposed to give out game balls and coaches that expect to be great coaches don't get game balls, they get trophies, extensions and controlling power over personnel. Not game balls from the owner, not their assistant coach getting the same salary as they do, not an owner dictating the locker room. Show everyone that's your locker room coach.