MySa Blog: Elevator talk with Calvin Hill about Tank Johnson...more

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
September 22, 2007
Classy Calvin Hill and other thoughts

CHICAGO - Just shared an elevator at the Cowboys' downtown team hotel with Calvin Hill, one of the classiest guys in the NFL.

We chatted mainly about Tank Johnson, and Hill noted Isaiah Stanback, who played with Johnson at the University of Washington, speaks highly of the suspended defensive tackle (the Dallas Morning News reported the same in Saturday's paper). Seems like anybody who has been a teammate of Johnson's likes him. Hopefully Hill, who heads the Cowboys player development programs, and the team's plethora of high-character players (Tony Romo, Jason Witten, Terence Newman, Bradie James, just to name a few) will rub off on Tank.

• The Bears are 14-3 at home since 2005. But did you know Chicago has allowed more than 20 points in each of those losses?

As good as the Bears' defense is, I think the Cowboys offense will do some damage. I'm more concerned with the Cowboys stopping the Bears offense. Despite the improvement the unit showed in Miami, the defense is still shaky, mainly because it's not generating much of a pass rush. If that holds true Sunday night, we might see Good Rex and a second-straight 100-yard game by Cedric Benson.

• The Dallas Morning News says Terrell Owens and Witten will appeal the fines they received this week from the NFL.

His touchdown celebration that mocked the Patriots' Spygate controversy cost T.O. $7,500. The league fined Witten $5,000 for a crack-back block.

Comments [0 Posted]: Read - Post

LINK

J-DOG

Reaction score
Fining Witten is ridiculous.
Saw where Vince Young was fined for an un-sportmanlike penalty in which Young threw the ball at an opponent's feet after the defender gave him a shove in the head.
I am all for cleaning up the league image and all that but fining guys for normal penalties or for getting fired up during the game is lame!

Jon

Reaction score
Cowboys speak highly of Tank

September 23, 2007
BY ROMAN MODROWSKI

Tank Johnson wasn't at Soldier Field on Sunday night, but it's safe to say his attention was on the game featuring his current and former teams.

At least one member of the Dallas Cowboys organization is looking forward to working with the former Bears defensive lineman, whose pattern of off-field trouble ultimately led to his release. Johnson signed a two-year contract with the Cowboys last week, but he's serving an eight-game suspension and can't play until Nov. 11.

''We have a sensational locker room, and he fits in with what we're trying to do on the field and I think he'll fit in the locker room,'' said former Cowboys great Calvin Hill, a consultant for the team who works with rookies and players who encounter trouble. ''I was very impressed that when the Bears released him, he thanked the Bears for their support. He took the high road.''

Hill said it's easy to make sure Johnson doesn't repeat at least one of his mistakes.

''His problems stemmed from having guns, unregistered guns,'' Hill said. ''The first thing is to get rid of your guns. Why do you need guns? If you go hunting, borrow a gun.''

Hill didn't sound as though he expected to spend much time with Johnson when he's allowed to start participating in team functions.

''To the extent he needs our support, we'll do what we can, like we do with all players,'' Hill said. ''We'll wait and see. We work mostly with rookies.

''I met him when he came here and signed with us, and he seems great. He's a young man.''

Johnson also received rave reviews from former University of Washington teammate Isaiah Stanback, a receiver with the Cowboys.

''You are not going to find a better person than Isaiah Stanback,'' Hill said. ''He's going to be a star in this league. And Isaiah said Tank's a great guy.''

Hill is part of a support group with the Cowboys that includes another consultant and a clinical therapist.

''There's a brick wall between us and the team,'' Hill said. ''What is said to us, stays with us.''

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/modrowski/571656,CST-SPT-pokes24.article