MySa Blog: The bottom line on the QB situation

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IRVING - Wade Phillips danced around the issue of who will start at QB on Sunday in the Meadowlands as long as he could Monday.

Prodded by reporters, he finally said it would be Brad Johnson.

But when you listen to the entire news conference and the walk-off portion for print reporters, it's clear that Johnson starting his third-straight game isn't set in stone.

My guess is the Cowboys will take a hard look at Brooks Bollinger this week, giving him more than a few snaps with the first-team offense. If he performs well, he could start. If he's just so-so, Johnson starts with the knowledge that there could be a quick hook should he stumble.

The Cowboys will pull out all the stops to beat the Giants. With Tony Romo set to return in the bye week after the game, what do they have to lose? If Johnson can't move the chains, sit his butt down and give Bollinger a shot.

Again, what do they have to lose?

Comments [0 Posted]: Read - Post

Doomsday101

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2379987 said:
IRVING - Wade Phillips danced around the issue of who will start at QB on Sunday in the Meadowlands as long as he could Monday.

Prodded by reporters, he finally said it would be Brad Johnson.

But when you listen to the entire news conference and the walk-off portion for print reporters, it's clear that Johnson starting his third-straight game isn't set in stone.

My guess is the Cowboys will take a hard look at Brooks Bollinger this week, giving him more than a few snaps with the first-team offense. If he performs well, he could start. If he's just so-so, Johnson starts with the knowledge that there could be a quick hook should he stumble.

The Cowboys will pull out all the stops to beat the Giants. With Tony Romo set to return in the bye week after the game, what do they have to lose? If Johnson can't move the chains, sit his butt down and give Bollinger a shot.

Comments [0 Posted]: Read - Post

I figured as much. I have nothing aginst Bollinger and if he gets into the game I'm pulling for him like any other player but I think for the staff this choice will come down to who they think will make less mistakes. For Dallas to win this game is going to come down to a defensive battle and in games like that they tend to be won by the team who makes the fewer mistakes.

Dcz84

Reaction score
Spot on, what do we have to lose? Time for some trick plays, gadget plays pull them all out.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score

Notta, the Bucks defense was our best offense.
That won't happen with the Gmen.
We thought Bledsoe was a statue?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2380000 said:

Notta, the Bucks defense was our best offense.
That won't happen with the Gmen.
We thought Bledsoe was a statue?

One I think our defense does have a chance to keep this game close so it comes down to who is making mistakes and turning the ball over. If Bollinger looks good during the week then I'm all for it if not then this game is not over with Johnson playing. I don't see either one of them carrying the offense and I expect Dallas will play ball control offense for the most part in an attempt to keep the game close

triplets92

Reaction score
I dont think brooks should even be looked at to start. I say let the old man who has had some snaps with the first string offence get his head knocked off. now is not the time to experiment with this guy

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2380009 said:
One I think our defense does have a chance to keep this game close so it comes down to who is making mistakes and turning the ball over. If Bollinger looks good during the week then I'm all for it if not then this game is not over with Johnson playing. I don't see either one of them carrying the offense and I expect Dallas will play ball control offense for the most part in an attempt to keep the game close

While I would love to see the defense control this game I doubt it will happen.
That ain't Garcia that's going to be back there throwing to Bryant.
Asking the D to hold them to less than fourteen is asking to much without way better play from our offense.

We won't escape with thirteen again.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think he is going to play vs the Giants.

Its just a smart move to play Bollinger unless he just looks completely lost in practice.

If Romo goes down again than you know you are done with Brad Johnson. At least Bollinger has physical abilities.

Brad Johnson would be a great option if he hadn't lost all of his physical abilities.

triplets92;2380014 said:
I dont think brooks should even be looked at to start. I say let the old man who has had some snaps with the first string offence get his head knocked off. now is not the time to experiment with this guy

I can't think of a better time.

It shows the team we're going for it vs the Giants.

Plus teams sometimes struggle vs QB's who get their first start after not playing for awhile.

We are going to try and steal this game and Bollinger will play on Sunday unless he has no grasp of this offense.

triplets92

Reaction score
CATCH17;2380090 said:
I think he is going to play vs the Giants.

Its just a smart move to play Bollinger unless he just looks completely lost in practice.

If Romo goes down again than you know you are done with Brad Johnson. At least Bollinger has physical abilities.

Brad Johnson would be a great option if he hadn't lost all of his physical abilities.

I can't think of a better time.

It shows the team we're going for it vs the Giants.

Plus teams sometimes struggle vs QB's who get their first start after not playing for awhile.

We are going to try and steal this game and Bollinger will play on Sunday unless he has no grasp of this offense.

I don't know I feel that if BJ is qb then the game wouldn't be handed to the giants. I know BJ sucks but maybe the check down approach may work aginst the fast defence..you know use there speed aginst them. Brooks is more monile but him running around in the pocket aginst Tuck and that d-line he's going to force alot passes that may result in int. It makes more sence to me that you would wont a calm head back there even if that calm head happens to suck

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
So not so much the bottom line as it is saying they don't know like no one knew sunday evening, nice.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2380083 said:
While I would love to see the defense control this game I doubt it will happen.
That ain't Garcia that's going to be back there throwing to Bryant.
Asking the D to hold them to less than fourteen is asking to much without way better play from our offense.

We won't escape with thirteen again.

No that is Eli and he still has some bad habit that Dallas can exploit. Cleveland held NY to 14 points so yes we can hold them if we play to our ability. Pitt did a very good job except for the fact they turned the ball over 3 times on their own end of the field then a bad snap on a punt for a safety. Yes Dallas can hold NY down if our guys go out and do what they are capable of.