MySa/DC.COM Blog: Holland works with first team in practice today

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looks like Holland will start

IRVING - Wade Phillips said he wasn't sure who he would line up at left guard tomorrow, but it was Montrae Holland who worked with the first team offense at practice today.

Kyle Kosier is out with a foot injury that likely will sideline him for the rest of the season. It's time to find out whether Holland can fill in for the rest of the season. Cory Procter had an eight-game audtion and was pretty pedestrian. Holland, who has started at New Orleans and Denver, should be an upgrade.

Comments [0 Posted]: Read - Post

DC.COM
Holland Appears Closer To Starting
Posted by mickshot at 11/26/2008 12:41 PM CST on truebluefanclub.com

Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips still would not totally commit to moving guard Montrae Holland into the starting lineup during his Wednesday morning press conference, but it sure looks more and more as if Holland will be the injured Kyle Kosier's replacement at left guard this time instead of Cory Procter.

Phillips did say Holland worked with the first-team offense on Tuesday, and it appeared from the porition of practice the media is allowed to watch that Holland once again was prepared to work with the first team again on Wednesday, the day before Thursday's game against the Seattle Seahawks on Thanksgiving Day. Holland, who the Cowboys sent a fifth-round pick to Denver for in a preseason trade, has started 46 games during his six-year NFL career, but only has played a few series with the Cowboys during Kosier's absence with Procter starting all eight games.

Mickey Spagnola

Comments (5) | Permanent Link

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
I hope he's an BIG upgrade. We need the O-line to open some holes for the Barbarian, and keep rushers off of Romo.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Looks like Holland will start

It appears Montrae Holland will be starting at left guard Thanksgiving Day against Seattle. He was working with the first team during Wednesday's walkthrough. He is replacing Kyle Kosier, who reinjured his right foot for the third time this season against San Francisco.

Holland will get the shot over Cory Procter, who had been replacing Kosier. The Cowboys traded for Holland after Kosier was hurt in preseason.

- Rick Herrin

Cowboys sign safety
The Cowboys have signed safety Tra Battle off Chargers practice squad. The roster spot was created by Felix Jones being placed on the injured reserve.

Wade Phillips believes Battle could come in and play this week on special teams especially if Patrick Watkins can't play because of a shoulder stinger.

- Rick Herrin

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Obviously seeing if Holland can contribute anything is pretty important for the future as far as what the team will be doing in FA and the draft.

Hey, if Holland can perform at a reasonable level, then the need for drafting another guard earlier than the 4th round becomes much less.

newlander

Reaction score
Good posts. Now or never for this guy. We'll see tomorrow gentlemen. IF he's been working, studying and can play we have lucked out big time: if not, nothing really lost (5th rounder no biggie really) I'll be watching closely because Procter was a friggin' turnstyle obviously.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Finally!

I've been looking forward to this move for a while.

Hopefully it was an issue of the team feeling comfortable with him knowing the playbook and not for any other reason.

I'm optimistic that he'll prove to be a significant improvement over Procter.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
newlander;2444572 said:
Good posts. Now or never for this guy. We'll see tomorrow gentlemen. IF he's been working, studying and can play we have lucked out big time: if not, nothing really lost (5th rounder no biggie really) I'll be watching closely because Procter was a friggin' turnstyle obviously.

Why would it be luck? The GM (Jerry Jones) did his job. After preseason was over he eetermined that we were thin on the OL, so he signed Holland. Jerry did his job right!

newlander

Reaction score
LUCK because he will have seen the light and decided to go to work for us. This guy was notoriously overweight and in Shanahan's dog house in Denver. Why do you think they got rid of him for a 5th rounder? Good fortune, luck, whatever you want to call it, we will have found it if this guy pans out: most trades for 5th rounders don't. Heck, most 5th rounders don't either. Sorry I had to explain such a basic fact to you in detail.

*sidenote: Nick E. said yesterday on his show that Holland didn't play as much because if he did the Boys would have owed him big money for a bonus re.- playing time. I find that hard to believe, just what Nick said.

ddh33

Reaction score
Holland has been a good player. Denver got rid of him because they really liked their young tackles, and they wanted to move Chris Kuper, who they really liked at tackle last year, inside to guard. Holand ended up getting squeezed. Getting a fifth out of him was a good deal to them.

Deefens

Reaction score
It was a fifth rounder in 2010... I'm not completely sure, but the value of a pick two years down the road has to be a lot less than a draft pick for the upcoming year. FWIW