"Nameless, Faceless Opponents" shtick

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There was a Patriots game, I think last year, where they schemed their offense for the FB’s and put a whoopin on someone. I can’t remember exactly when but it was genius.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
its not a lazy scheme, since the scheme works for 58 minutes. we are #1 offense and #8 scoring....we tend to botch play calling and game situational management and execution in the last 2 minutes....New Orleans, GB, Jets, Minn....all the same.
I would say it's our talent that's giving us those ratings. The front office is seeing their talent acquisition go to waste and for some reason they don't see it. Regular season stats mean squat if you lose in first or second round every year once you go up against better coaches (not necessary better rosters)

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
The Patriots will adapt their gameplan to every opponent they face, taking out the opposing teams best weapon and attacking weaknesses on D. They've gone to the SB what, 10 out of the last 15 or so?

Our coaches decided we didn't want to have to make a new game plan for every opponent. We didn't want to take advantage of injuries or poor position play of opponents. Or cover for injuries on our team with adjustments in how we operate. We play our game, and IF we do what we do, we'll win.

This requires elite talent throughout the roster, absolute luck with injuries and everyone on top of their game. If any of this isn't up to snuff, it's incredibly difficult for this team to win. That's why JG will never win a SB. The chances of all three of the above happening 4 straight playoff games, not even taking into consideration the opposing coaches (best of the best with compostable talent) ability to counter what we do, are slim to none. He's already wasted Romo with this lazy game plan, please Jerry don't let him waste the Dak era too.

:clap: preaching to the choir. NO WAY this team can win a Superbowl with this lackluster, unimaginative coaching that doesn't maximize key matchups, and cover key weaknesses on their own roster (rolling coverages on key downs, or targeting certain weaknesses on the other team on either side of the ball, etc.). AND we need more of an impact from the special teams. Being "average" in that category should not be acceptable.

I just don't think the Cowboys Star players can overcome this lower level of coaching...it's just too mediocre. But they can squeeze into the playoffs, and during the season beat a really good team occasionally, but like you said, OP, there's just no way this team could beat 4 really good playoff teams with this coaching mindset.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
There was a Patriots game, I think last year, where they schemed their offense for the FB’s and put a whoopin on someone. I can’t remember exactly when but it was genius.
Exactly. We however need to force it into Zeke/cooper/Witten and co every game. And either they all run perfect routes or Oline perfectly blocks everything or there's trouble, because our scheme doesn't trick anyone. They know what's coming for most part. Imagine what any half decent coaching staff would do with the FB, Pollard, Austin, etc as secondary players. Here they all get the one play made for them

We don't even use screens to get past running game issues.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
:clap: preaching to the choir. NO WAY this team can win a Superbowl with this lackluster, unimaginative coaching that doesn't maximize key matchups, and cover key weaknesses on their own roster (rolling coverages on key downs, or targeting certain weaknesses on the other team on either side of the ball, etc.). AND we need more of an impact from the special teams. Being "average" in that category should not be acceptable.

I just don't think the Cowboys Star players can overcome this lower level of coaching...it's just too mediocre. But they can squeeze into the playoffs, and during the season beat a really good team occasionally, but like you said, OP, there's just no way this team could beat 4 really good playoff teams with this coaching mindset.
Exactly. How does it help Dak when most of the time he has to move the team 75 yards to score? No wonder we're number one in yards, we rarely get short fields. How can the return team somehow offer less than what Bease used to do, and he mostly fair catched.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I remember back in 2017 when Zeke's suspension was on again, off again. Zeke's eligibility was decided very late one week and Garrett was asked if Zeke being ruled eligible would changed the game plan at all. He said it wouldn't, we'd have the same game plan with or without Zeke.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And cult leader Garret has them all believing that it's all about what they do. If they play their game...with mental toughness...no one can beat them.

And yet, here we sit, at 5-4.

Hmmm....
:rolleyes:

sean10mm

Reaction score
Yeah, nobody is Belichick, but even guys in the next tier down like Harbaugh do more to adapt than Garrett does. Look at how the Ravens completely changed their offense for Jackson. He's also become a lot more aggressive on offense in general.

silvernblu

Reaction score
Garrett has become a master at knowing how to keep his job. He can have OCs and DCs and not be in charge of the playcalling, so at times if a game plan goes wrong and doesn't work. Then he can blame the other coaches on the staff and convince some that he had nothing to do with the failed play calls or game plan.

He can act like he called the right game plan and say that it's all of the players fault for not executing the play correctly.

If a play call of his goes wrong and doesn't work. He can blame the QB, because the QB should have known better and changed the play at the line.

By not really doing anything has a head coach, he has become the master of playing Jerry like a fiddle by scapegoating failures on the players and other coaches. And convince Jerry that perhaps if he had another coaching staff, another roster, just another QB that he can get the Cowboys to the promise land of that 6th Superbowl win. And Jerry falls for it every single time.

This sounds like my former boss. I'd add that he then goes to the defense of the coaches or players he scapegoats to Jerry so it looks like he's actually the guy that's fighting for you instead of scapegoating you. He's the good guy enduring insufferable failures of his staff and payers to live up to their potential.

EJK24

Reaction score
Especially in the salary cap era, the likelyhood of lining up and outplaying the other team all season long straight up without scheming to take away their best option and attacking their weakness, is setting the team up for failure.

It seems like a no brainer that week to week you would game plan based off the opponent but it doesnt appear to be the way Dallas does things.

Running into a wall because you want to run when the defense is giving you tons of space in the secondary is just mind boggling to me. If they are trying to take away the deep plans and allowing us favorable match ups and space to run? Then that's what we should be doing.

None of us no what is being said behind closed doors all the time but we have heard from other teams players that they know what we are going to do in certain instances is embarrassing.

Just like the Jet game, If they lined up and rushed 4, we pick them apart and I say win big. They know that they are at a disadvantage and tried to cause confusion and they had several free runs at Dak. Whether we have talent or not on the d-line, if we dont get home, then why are we not finding ways to get linebackers and db's shots on the quarterback? The run defense this past week was our Achilles heel but then our staff needs to go away from what they want or are comfortable with and commit more players to stopping the run.

I know everything doesnt always work the way we want it to but it would be nice if looking at the game if we could attack problematic areas because it was what was best for the team and not just run what we run and hope it works out to our benefit.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
Especially in the salary cap era, the likelyhood of lining up and outplaying the other team all season long straight up without scheming to take away their best option and attacking their weakness, is setting the team up for failure.

It seems like a no brainer that week to week you would game plan based off the opponent but it doesnt appear to be the way Dallas does things.

Running into a wall because you want to run when the defense is giving you tons of space in the secondary is just mind boggling to me. If they are trying to take away the deep plans and allowing us favorable match ups and space to run? Then that's what we should be doing.

None of us no what is being said behind closed doors all the time but we have heard from other teams players that they know what we are going to do in certain instances is embarrassing.

Just like the Jet game, If they lined up and rushed 4, we pick them apart and I say win big. They know that they are at a disadvantage and tried to cause confusion and they had several free runs at Dak. Whether we have talent or not on the d-line, if we dont get home, then why are we not finding ways to get linebackers and db's shots on the quarterback? The run defense this past week was our Achilles heel but then our staff needs to go away from what they want or are comfortable with and commit more players to stopping the run.

I know everything doesnt always work the way we want it to but it would be nice if looking at the game if we could attack problematic areas because it was what was best for the team and not just run what we run and hope it works out to our benefit.
All this. Seems like JG is running off of two years in which surprises (Oline in 2014 and Dak/Zeke in 2016) made the league take longer to adapt to him. But they all did and following years were down trending. We only seem to do well in games consistently in our division due to us knowing how they play. Beyond that, like you said our guys are just told to run into thst brick wall, and it's only not working because you didn't execute 100% every play.

And injuries/suspensions have detailed so many seasons for us due to the same gameplan with the incredibly lazy 'next man up' philosophy. Frigging Eagles won without their QB, LB, LT and bunch more. Without Dak, Tyron and LVE we probably fight for top 5 pick by default