Nate Jones and Jacques Reeves - What is diff

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
I name them as the two winners of QUIETEST GUYS ON ROSTER awards.

These guys have been on team for 3 years now? Or is it just 2. Were they both 7th round picks? Anyway, I see them in camp, I watch them in preseason. They are always on the bubble for the 53 man roster. But I don't really know much about them. They don't stand out good or bad. They don't tackle much on special teams that I remember but maybe that's not their role?

Does anybody know much more about them? Can both play a bit of safety, or only one of them. What do they do on special teams? They just quietly seem to be good 4th and 5th CB's, with some versatility and willingness to play special teams.

I guess I'm wondering if one of them has the upside to step up to 3rd CB or even backup free safety if Glenn ever retired or a safety got hurt.

LarryCanadian

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
it's 2 years for both, both can switch to FS in a pinch, and BP raves about Nate Jones on special teams, IMO, Reeves is the quick one, while Nate Jones is really limited physically and according to Parcells, needs to work extremely hard to stick, Reeves did pretty well against the Giants and Panthers, and had a key pass-deflection in the 2nd meeting w/ the Eagles near the end of regulation

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
Thanks for info.

I do remember that Eagles game play at end. Looked like the receiver got it, and after watching the replay a 10 time Reeves either just tapped it out, or got in the way enough to distract the concentration of the receiver at the end there.

That play was a heartstopper, and could have led to a 3rd blown game that season where we had the lead late.

Cheers,

LarryCanadian

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
LarryCanadian said:
They don't tackle much on special teams that I remember but maybe that's not their role?

Jones played 317 plays on special teams last season, the second-most on the team behind Copper's 321. And he finished second on the team in special-teams tackles.

Reeves played three times as much as Jones did on defense and played 236 plays on special teams, which put him fifth on the team. And he finished tied for seventh in special-teams tackles.

Of the two, Reeves probably has a better chance of becoming a solid third corner, maybe even a No. 2. (Remember, he was more of a track guy than a football player when we got him.) Jones probably will always be a backup/nickel/dime back and special-teamer, I think, but he could play a long time in that role.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
Jones played 317 plays on special teams last season, the second-most on the team behind Copper's 321. And he finished second on the team in special-teams tackles.

Reeves played three times as much as Jones did on defense and played 236 plays on special teams, which put him fifth on the team. And he finished tied for seventh in special-teams tackles.

Of the two, Reeves probably has a better chance of becoming a solid third corner, maybe even a No. 2. (Remember, he was more of a track guy than a football player when we got him.) Jones probably will always be a backup/nickel/dime back and special-teamer, I think, but he could play a long time in that role.

Thanks Adam that's good info.

I think both have gotten better every year they've been here. Reeves really showed he could step into the nickel role last year although he seemed to have struggled a bit this preseason and toward the end of camp. He's a better tackler than Jones imo, he seems more physical. I think both are good guys to have on the roster as your 4th and 5th corners.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LarryCanadian said:
I name them as the two winners of QUIETEST GUYS ON ROSTER awards.

These guys have been on team for 3 years now? Or is it just 2. Were they both 7th round picks? Anyway, I see them in camp, I watch them in preseason. They are always on the bubble for the 53 man roster. But I don't really know much about them. They don't stand out good or bad. They don't tackle much on special teams that I remember but maybe that's not their role?

Does anybody know much more about them? Can both play a bit of safety, or only one of them. What do they do on special teams? They just quietly seem to be good 4th and 5th CB's, with some versatility and willingness to play special teams.

I guess I'm wondering if one of them has the upside to step up to 3rd CB or even backup free safety if Glenn ever retired or a safety got hurt.

LarryCanadian

That is more applicable to Jones than it is Reeves. It seems, from the way Parcells' talks that Reeves is one of his favorite players.

From 'Joe-fans' perspective, I think both have turned out to be pretty good picks.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Reeves is not on the bubble.

Reaction score
Adam do you have these stats on the wall or something? You are the man with info dude I'm going to hire you to run numbers for my business I live in Charlotte if your ever this way give me a holla you got a jb with me my man!

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
Awesome info thanks Adam.

These guys really do act as excellent role players and backups. Amazing how many tackles Jones made on Special Teams. I had no idea and I watched every game last year.

I did notice Hoyte in Preseason. He was a machine on kick/punt coverage.

So do both Reeves and Jones dress for most or all games. Meaning are they consistently on the 45 man roster?

Thanks again. I knew I came to the right place to ask.

LarryCanadian