Nate Newton explains why he doesn't mind seeing the score ran-up

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Nate Newton is on the Radio now talking Cowboys. One of the topics is about running up the score as it could possibly happen in the Jets/Patriots Game.

Nate Newton (paraphrase):

<NATE>
This is the reason why I don't mind seeing the score ran up. I remember we were playing the Commanders and they were beating the crap out of us. Wilbur Marshall came up to me and I told him, "Man, what are you guys doing, you are killing us". Wilbur Marshall said, "I know but yall are the cowboys and we are going to beat you down".

So I didn't mind seeing Emmitt in the Endzone or Irvin in the Endzone on quite a few occassions.
</NATE>

:laugh2:

Eddie

Reaction score
Karma is a be-otch and has a long memory.

It'll come back to haunt the Patriots ... just like it came back to haunt the Commanders.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
i don't think they will. it's gonna be nasty weather in new england on sunday.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Gangsta Spanksta;1832784 said:
The eagles ran up the score on us in 2000. :mad:

They also ran the score up in 2004 too.

I think that MNF Game against them was one of the low points of the BPE.

Eddie

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1832799 said:
They also ran the score up in 2004 too.

I think that MNF Game against them was one of the low points of the BPE.

Yep, what goes around comes around. Or is it, what comes around goes around? ha ha

Anyway, hope they enjoy their 5-8 season ... there's many more of those coming.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I agree...score all you can ....it might not be enought at the end of the day

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
True Cowboy fans never forget the booing of Michael Irvin on the gurney, no mercy, I'll always have a sour taste in my mouth for the Eagles, crush em, stomp em, destroy them...

David276

Benched
Reaction score
i freakin wouldn't mind it either its not like the grown men on the other side are going to start crying. we need to start turning it up offensively were in the play offs. !!!

royhitshard

Reaction score
I hate it when people complain about running up the score. I think it was Mike Leach at Texas Tech that said something along the lines of you didn't see Michael Jordan or Larry Bird throwing up airballs when they were 20 or 30 points ahead. You don't see Tiger Woods start shanking the ball on the last two holes when he has a 10 shot lead, so why would football be any different.

Not very often do you hear the players or coaches complaining, it is just the media. I agree with the statement that it is the defenses job to stop the offense. Score all you want.

The Panch

Reaction score
royhitshard;1832949 said:
I hate it when people complain about running up the score. I think it was Mike Leach at Texas Tech that said something along the lines of you didn't see Michael Jordan or Larry Bird throwing up airballs when they were 20 or 30 points ahead. You don't see Tiger Woods start shanking the ball on the last two holes when he has a 10 shot lead, so why would football be any different.

Not very often do you hear the players or coaches complaining, it is just the media. I agree with the statement that it is the defenses job to stop the offense. Score all you want.
There's a fine line between throwing up air balls and going for it twice on 4th down when you're in a commanding lead and in field goal range. Patriots are playing the role of the villain and doing a good job of it.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score

I think running up the score on Baylor is a totally different animal.

Leach is a bad example anyway as all he seems to ever do is B&M.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
They may not complain publicly, because players and coaches in such a macho game don't want to look like whiners. But I guarantee you they don't like it.

No one said Belicheat and Co. *couldn't* do it... The question is, is it smart to? Because no matter how dominant you are today, you never know what the future holds. Someday when your golden goose (Brady) has blown out a knee, you may be struggling to make the playoffs and a team you embarrassed in 2007 might come back and get you booed out of your own stadium by beating you by 30.

Or take a cheap shot at one of your arrogant players.

The Panch;1832954 said:
There's a fine line between throwing up air balls and going for it twice on 4th down when you're in a commanding lead and in field goal range. Patriots are playing the role of the villain and doing a good job of it.

Exactly.

royhitshard

Reaction score
I agree, it is probably not smart to do it, but I don't see a problem with a team doing it. They have to deal with the backlash. That's just my opinion.

ayjackson

Reaction score
Eddie;1832773 said:
Karma is a be-otch and has a long memory.

It'll come back to haunt the Patriots ... just like it came back to haunt the Commanders.

The Pats were the subject of beat-downs for years and years. Everybody was laughing outside of New England when the Fridge took the ball for touchdown #6 in the 1985 Superbowl. Talk about having fun at your opponents expense on the biggest stage of all.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
these are pro athletes, paid millions to do a job.........score as many points as possible, while keeping the opponent to as few points as possible and winning week in and week out.

If you have the opportunity to score 70 a game, you do it, no questions asked. If you can score 80 a game, you do it. If you can only score 10 a game, you better hope your defense can step up.

This is how I see it....I agree with Madden. For 3 quarters it is fair game. Your starters play 3 quarters and score at will, until they can't score anymore. I will say this though, if the score is 70-0 with half the 3rd quarter left, then I say put in your reserves, so you can preserve your starters. However, allow your reserves to continue to run the offense until there are only 5 minutes left in the game. At that point, I feel it is finally ok to merely try and run out the clock, without pouring it on.

I have no problem with backups coming in and running the offense, especially in situations like GB, Indy, and NE, where the backups get such limited reps.....these guys need the game experience within the offense, just in case they may actually have to be called upon to play an entire game.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Karma will take care of them, when we're up by 14 in the Super Bowl with less than a minute left they'll be talking all offseason why we went play action pass to Miles Austin.

SibannacRex

Reaction score
GoinForSix;1833778 said:
Karma will take care of them, when we're up by 14 in the Super Bowl with less than a minute left they'll be talking all offseason why we went play action pass to Miles Austin.

I like how you think.

But I've had a vision of us being up by 3 points over the Pats in the SB, with 5 minutes left, and MBIII taking over the game.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
SibannacRex;1833782 said:
I like how you think.

But I've had a vision of us being up by 3 points over the Pats in the SB, with 5 minutes left, and MBIII taking over the game.

That would be the most suitable form of punishment for them shatting all over the integrity of the game. The Barbarian pounding them right in the mouth, giving Rodney HGHarrison the stiff arm/jab and taking it to the house. That big O-Line is going to pay off against those old and tired LBs come February.