Nate Newton on ESPN Radio

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I was just listening to Nate Newon on Michael Irvin's show. He is out at Valley Ranch and he stated that the Cowboys are practicing in the Bubble as oppose to outside.

He stated that this does concern him because he feels like they should be outside practicing.

It is pretty windy in the Metroplex today, but it isn't like it is really cold and they would be able to simulate the weather in Pittsburgh.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
You have a point. But I'm not certain practicing in the wind is going to gain much. You can wear clothes to keep warm. But you can't practice how to throw a ball in the wind but so much. You can add some hum but on long throws once the ball is in the air its part of the air and goes with it. Just like a plane.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nate always has such great observations and opinions. And, say what you want about him, he usually makes a lof of sense. But what it comes down to Sunday is execution, weather and all.

The Panch

Reaction score
Im waiting for the day there are practice fields that simulate bad weather games. It doesnt seem that hard to do in the modern era. Expensive, but doable.

sacase

Reaction score
I think it is more important to get the game plan in rather than try to get used to the conditions.

CoCo

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2459466 said:
Nate always has such great observations and opinions. And, say what you want about him, he usually makes a lof of sense. But what it comes down to Sunday is execution, weather and all.

I totally disagree with you on Nate.

To whatever degree Nate is remembered as one of the warriors who helped bring 3 SB wins to Dallas, I also remember him as one who often lacked the discipline to keep himself physically in shape to perform at a high level and who publicly defended some of the players "runnin a few hos" through the "White House."

That's all of course prior to distinguishing himself with his post playing days activities.

In contrast, Irvin certainly made his mistakes and yet I feel completely different about him because his remorse and public apologies have been very visible and to me very sincere even amidst subsequent missteps. Nate, far less so IMO. Maybe I've missed his consistent humility on that subject.

Does all that mean Nate's insights are necessarily less accurate? No. I guess I just find the guy overall to be pretty disenguous and so I put little stock in what he has to say. To me Nate has always been more concerned about being the entertainer than he has being a leader and I therefore pay little attention when he tries to comment on the latter.

DarylJohnston

Reaction score
sacase;2459487 said:
I think it is more important to get the game plan in rather than try to get used to the conditions.

Exactly, especially on Wednesday.

Why must we question everything the Cowboys do? It looks like Wade just might be doing something right at this point.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
sacase;2459487 said:
Part of that gameplan should be working on completing Slants since we suck so much at them. Instead coach goofball gives Owens the day off after they just had 3 or 4 days off. and Practice outside cause it's probably gonna be windy on Sunday.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2459454 said:
I was just listening to Nate Newon on Michael Irvin's show. He is out at Valley Ranch and he stated that the Cowboys are practicing in the Bubble as oppose to outside.

He stated that this does concern him because he feels like they should be outside practicing.

It is pretty windy in the Metroplex today, but it isn't like it is really cold and they would be able to simulate the weather in Pittsburgh.

how does practicing outside there simulate the weather and field conditions they will see in Pitt?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967;2459588 said:
how does practicing outside there simulate the weather and field conditions they will see in Pitt?
Well, they could turn on the sprinklers. That might muddy up the field. :cool:

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
dbair1967;2459588 said:

Magically.

Mr Fix it waves his wand, Dallas becomes Pittsburgh... and the weather is a perfect simulation of what the weather will be on Sunday.

Duh.

n00b.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Rampage;2459503 said:
Part of that gameplan should be working on completing Slants since we suck so much at them. Instead coach goofball gives Owens the day off after they just had 3 or 4 days off. and Practice outside cause it's probably gonna be windy on Sunday.

:hammer:

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Good luck simulating the 13 degree wind chill and 30 mph wind gusts.

edit: I just saw Vintage's post. That's funny. Where's the pixie dust when you need it?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2459602 said:
Well, they could turn on the sprinklers. That might muddy up the field. :cool:

making it muddy still doesnt account for the horrendous field conditions, the cold and snow...a muddy good field is nothing like that garbage at Heinz Field

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967;2459610 said:
making it muddy still doesnt account for the horrendous field conditions, the cold and snow...a muddy good field is nothing like that garbage at Heinz Field
Would driving over it with a tractor to create huge divets work?

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
dbair1967;2459588 said:

It can't. In fact, trying to conduct a practice in such conditions hurts more than it helps. This idea that they need to be outside in a quagmire is nonsense.

As far as giving players a break from the practice, again a non-issue. This isn't junior high or HS where your football day is 2 hours. These guys are there 8 or more hours a day, so "practice" is more than being on the field. Plus, they practiced on Monday and actually have an extra day this week.

The things that fans freak out over, geez.