Nate Newton:Why does Roy continue to use the Horse Collar? It's a Crutch.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Nate Newton and John Radigan are discussing the Roy Williams suspension now. He stated that he thinks Roy Williams continues to use the Horse Collar because it is a crutch.

Says the Horse Collar takes a guy out and could end his career.

His son is a RB, so he is probably partial to the the rule.

On the topic of Cutting a guy:

Says he hated doing it, but the Coaches would tell him, "You cut the player or we cut you".

Sounds like he isn't a fan of the Cut Block either.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Nate is also saying that he also be doing this because he is out of position at times.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
The thing I always notice, and noticed again with the tackle on McNabb is this, .. once you stop them by grabbing their shoulder pad or jersey, then you can get your hands on them somewhere else for a normal tackle.

On Sunday Roy grabbed McNabb's jersey, .. McNabb slowed down, .. Roy could have then grabbed his jersey in the back or even gone down and tackled his legs, or continued to drive him in the ground instead of falling down into the back of his legs.

He doesn't have to drag them clear to the ground by the back of the jersey/shoulder pads. Once you get a hold of them, jump on them or pull them down in another way.

I don't think they would throw a flag if you grabbed them buy the back, but then let go and tackled them in another way.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
You have two choices once you are behind the receiver, grab or dive. He needs to practice the latter.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
He continues doing it because he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
I know Nate Newton isn't talking about other players' "crutches."

He must be talking about Nestle's "Crunch" bars.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Paniolo22;1842592 said:
You have two choices once you are behind the receiver, grab or dive. He needs to practice the latter.

That's my point, once you grab them and stop their momentum, you can let go and jump on them or tackle them in another manner, .. just don't fall straight down, dragging them down backwards and falling on their legs.
:banghead:

aikemirv

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;1842610 said:
That's my point, once you grab them and stop their momentum, you can let go and jump on them or tackle them in another manner, .. just don't fall straight down, dragging them down backwards and falling on their legs.
:banghead:

Easy 5 yards to stop both of the players momentum and possibly another 5 to get him down.

He should stop, but somebody neede to tackle him on Sunday!

And he did NOT fall on McNabbs legs.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Paniolo22;1842592 said:

Sometimes when he is grabbing the ball carrier, he is also diving, what then?

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Nate can't be right....every one knows that anybody who's played football gets caught up in the heat of the moment. Ya see, if Nate had played football he'd understand why Williams does this......

Oh, wait...

:rolleyes:

Ya ever hear the sideline clips of Lombardi complaining about his team's peformance "NO one is tackling. All we're doing is grab GRAB GRAB!" He'd have a field day with Roy Williams.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
mickgreen58;1842552 said:
Nate is also saying that he also be doing this because he is out of position at times.

Nonsense.

Roy Williams is never out of position. Ever.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Bach;1842593 said:
He continues doing it because he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I agree, he just isn't a very smart guy. If he was then he would find another way to tackle players than to continue using a technique that was outlawed by a rule NAMED AFTER HIM!

I have said many times that Roy is a terrible tackler and uses some of the worst technique I've seen in a supposedly elite player (well, not as bad as Deion's but you get the idea). Coming from the front angles, he either goes for thew big hit or tries to arm tackle the guy. From the angles behind, he ALWAYS goes for the horse-collar, I've never seen him try any other way to tackle from behind than that.

Now it has cost us his services for a game that we need to win to avoid going to Green Bay in January.

I like Roy Williams a lot, in fact his is the only current player's jersey I own, but I still have a problem with how he plays at times and this is one of them.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Paniolo22;1842592 said:

ding ding!!!!

lights flashing!!

sirens wailing!!!!!

AmericasTeam31

Reaction score
So let's see... He was chasing from behind, and we all know he's not gonna catch many of them. So he has to make the tackle before the player gets his momentum and gets away.... Of course if that happened, he'd be bashed for not making the play anyway.