CFZ Natural Grass vs Artificial Turf

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that the Cowboys play better on artificial turf. It is kind of understandable considering AT&T stadium, and their practice field. Their highest scoring games occurred on turf:

54pts vs the Colts
49pts vs the Bears
40pts vs Vikes
40pts vs Eagles

On grass, there were mixtures of offensive duds and/or defensive struggles:

3pts vs Bucs
34pts vs Jax should have been enough for W, but gave up 40pts
28pts vs Packers should have been enough, but gave up 17pts in 4th/OT

So last night's "close" game vs Titans should not have been a surprise. Mike Vrabel is a good defensive coach who's teams are physical like Belicheck's Patriot teams.

The last game of the season is also on natural grass vs. Commanders. This is another good test for the Cowboys. Why? The Cowboys will find themselves on the road during the playoffs vs. teams who play on natural grass (Tampa, Eagles, or even the Panthers(?)). Their great equalizer to Dallas potent offense? Natural grass.

Cowboys are a whopping 11-1 on artificial turf this year. Understandable because AT&T, The Star, and even Dak's private practice field at his home all have artificial turf surfaces.

On the other hand, the Cowboys are 1-3 on natural grass:

Cowboys need to learn how to be successful on both sides of the ball on natural grass. On turf, they can be world beaters. On grass? Not so much. Good tune up for the playoffs vs natural grass teams. Titans were physical and the Commanders are a rival, fighting for a playoff spot.

Cowboys should be readier this year than last year for the playoffs, health permitting.

Thoughts?

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
Wow is this the world's longest post or what?

Dallas' squad is built on team speed. They are a turf team. If they wanted to get to the next level they need to be a "tough" team. Surface doesn't matter, but they can play on any condition and win.

My computer glitched on me. Hopefully it is cleared up now...

That being said, I agree. They have to be tougher. But, I still say they are better on turf. But yeah I agree with you it shouldn't matter. It is hard to ignore the records on grass vs turf - no matter what team they are playing, seemingly.

JBS

Reaction score
3 vs tb was at home

yes the cowboys absolutely score more on artificial surface than grass…especially when the temps drop like they will in January…this defense is going to have to pull its weight too

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
3 vs tb was at home

yes the cowboys absolutely score more on artificial surface than grass…especially when the temps drop like they will in January…this defense is going to have to pull its weight too
Ah good catch - for some reason I was thinking that Bucs game was in Tampa {facepalm lol}

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Tampa Bay game was at AT&T on turf. I chalk that loss up to not enough preseason prep. I wonder if the issue is playing surface or location. The grass games are on the road so that may be the actual issue. We need to overcome it. I believe we can. One game at a time. Some say we're better on the road. Not true (8-1 at home), but I hope the Cowboys embrace that narrative.

JustChip

Reaction score
On grass, there were mixtures of offensive duds and/or defensive struggles:

3pts vs Bucs
34pts vs Jax should have been enough for W, but gave up 40pts
28pts vs Packers should have been enough, but gave up 17pts in 4th/OT.
The Bucs game was on artificial turf; it was played at AT&T.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score

Cowboys looked bad again on grass. Now they going to the Big Sombrero in Tampa on grass in the playoffs. Hope they can get it together.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
Wish the Cowboys could practice on some Florida high school football grass field this week in the elements vice at the Star before the Bucs playoff game.

Mannix

Reaction score
I absolutely LOVED Texas Stadium....went to 2 or 3 games every year....I wouldn't step foot in AT&T if you bought my ticket and drove me to the game. I might change my mind if the 80,000 that pack AT&T were of the same makeup as the rabid Cowboys fans that occasionally take over road games....but instead, 90% of them are the same bunch of freakazoids that we saw during the late August First Fake blowout in Frisco.

Creeper

Reaction score
There might be something to this grass vs turf thing but we'd need more games on grass to see if the pattern is real. I really don't think the grass thing applies to yesterday. They were awful in every phase of the game. Did Anger drop a snap on a punt because of grass? I don't know that the win in Tenn. matters either since the Titans rested a lot of starters. And the Cowboys didn't play well against the Texans of the Colts. The first time they played the Eagles Rush was the QB.

Like I said, there just is not enough of a sample to draw any conclusions.

On the other hand, can we see Dak's record on grass over the years? By my calculation, which I am sure is not perfect, Dak is 14-13 on grass fields in his career. However, he was 10-2 on grass in 2016 and 2017. That means since 2017 Dak is 4-11 on grass. I have no explanation for this except a number of grass field teams have been pretty good the last few years, like the 49ers and Packers for example.

Praxit

Reaction score
..If I'm Big Mike, better practice outside all week. Run all sorts of drills.

I never got the expierience of playing on artifical turf. But I imagine the cuts you can make are cleaner. Grass gives way to fast.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Shouldn't natural grass slow the other team down too? :huh:
And please don't tell me the other team is used to playing on artificial grass. They have to adjust just like their opponents do.
The "turf" excuse won't fly.
I remember Jimmy Johnson was so ahead of the game, he took the condition of the field into consideration in his coaching. That's what he did when we played San Francisco in the 92-93 NFC Championship Game. Fitted the players with the right cleats so they wouldn't be slipping and sliding on the field.
Oh, for the days of a head coach who was in total control over ever aspect of the game.
Then again, Jerry Jones said he could find 500 coaches to get the 92 team to the Super Bowl. But it's been 27 years, 6 coaches and counting and none of them have been anywhere close to Johnson and his ultra game preparation.

Praxit

Reaction score
...I bet this will be brought up all week...lol.. Dallas has to nerf, the devil on its heels before he stands up.