Natural trade scenario?

JPostSam

Reaction score
lots of people assume that dallas will try to trade down because we have:

a lot of needs
two picks in the first round
no pick in the third round

and, b/c value in the first round seems questionable.

the problem with this is finding a trade partner. it might seem reasonable to trade down from #11 to #15 for kansas city's third-rounder... but they don't have one. a trade with the saints at #16 is also difficult.

but there is another option that could make sense for both sides: san diego.

the chargers also have two picks in the first round, thanks to their qb swap with the giants on draft day last year. they are a lot closer to being contenders than the cowboys are and may be willing to give up a pick for the benefit of a few higher picks.

here is how our first four rounds look, according to the ubiquitous draft value chart, compared with san diego:

dallas
11 - 1250 points
20 - 850
42 - 480
no third
103 - 88

total: 2668

san diego
12 - 1200
28 - 660
61 - 292
no third
124 - 48

total: 2200

we could swap our first-rounders and fourth-rounders, and take their second-rounder, and both sides would basically break even. that would look like this:

dallas
12 - 1200
28 - 660
42 - 480
61 - 292
no third
124 - 48

total: 2680

san diego
11 - 1250
20 - 850
no second
no third
103 - 88

total: 2188

san diego would lose their second, but gain higher firsts and a higher fourth. we would drop a little bit but pick up a late second-rounder, making up for the fact that we don't have a third.

since the chargers would like to pick up a quality wr, i could see this option becoming attractive if mike williams or braylon edwards were available when the cowboys go on the clock at number 11.

whichever player dallas is interested in would still be there when we would pick at 12, obviously.

as i said, this could be good for both teams.

any thoughts?

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
I like it but I just don't see it happening. Aside from having one good season last year, San Diego has a lot of needs too. They need a lot of the things we do also so it wouldn't be wise to place them in front of us. (S, WR, DE, etc.) Also, I don't think they are willing to put themselves in a position where all they have is 3 picks in the draft.

Kevlee06

Reaction score
I think San Diego will look to move up if they target WR as a need. There are a couple of teams right behind them that also could be looking at WR in this draft and they might be afraid of other teams jumping to the Cowboys spot.

Derinyar

Reaction score
Kevlee06 said:
I think San Diego will look to move up if they target WR as a need. There are a couple of teams right behind them that also could be looking at WR in this draft and they might be afraid of other teams jumping to the Cowboys spot.
One team they should be worrying about taking a WR is the Cowboys. We really need a young player there with some legitimate talent. Copper and Crayton look like nice players, for what we spent to get them. If either one becomes a dependable 3rd WR then we got a good deal.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
If the Chargers were interested in moving up from No. 12 to No. 11 when we're on the clock, why would they go through all of that instead of just offering us their fourth-rounder (and maybe another throw-in if needed)? What reason would they have for wanting to move up from No. 28 to No. 20 before they even know who is available, not to mention giving up their second-rounder?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
But if our day 1 Does not add 3 impact starters its a failure. At least 2 on the front 7 of our D.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Nors said:
But if our day 1 Does not add 3 impact starters its a failure. At least 2 on the front 7 of our D.
This is TRUE in my book too. 3 starters from draft and 3 from FA...or else we failed in my book!

I will even be flexible and say if we added Pat Williams and Hawthorne...I'll count both as starters...