NBCDFW: Phillips: "Listening Is A Skill"...w/audio from 105.3

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BY Scott Crisp // 5 hours ago

Audio podcast: http://podcast.1053thefan.com/krldf/2067571.mp3

With a presumably increased role in the offense, as his knee continues to heal, Felix Jones appeared for a few moments last week, to be out as the Cowboys' kick returner.

Wade Phillips seemed to say as much in a late week press conference. Apparently not though.

Jones fielded Green Bay's first two kickoffs, giving way to rookie Kevin Ogletree on the third. Ogletree's was the longest run-back, grabbing 22 yards. This could signal, once more, and for real this time, a change in kick-return personnel; what it does not signal--and I want to be clear on this--is that Wade Phillips flip-flopped.

The head coach, on 105.3 The Fan's The Jagger Show Wednesday morning, took time from discussing his polite but obvious disagreement with a slew of calls on Sunday to point out that he hadn't said that Felix Jones wouldn't return kicks; he said that Jones wouldn't return kicks if he was heavily involved in the offense.

Of course, he wasn't; Jason Garrett made sure of it. Which makes Jones' being utilized in the return game explainable, and--again, let's be clear--exonerates Phillips completely from charges of flip-flopping.

"I didn't flip-flop at all," Phillips said. "I said we were working other guys. Because if we were going to use Felix more in ballgames, I didn't want him back on kickoffs as much. We didn't use him as much this game (Green Bay), so we used him as a kick returner. I didn't say [he wouldn't return kicks] though.

"You know," Phillips said finally, "listening is a skill."

http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-star/Phillips-Listening-Is-A-Skill-70378657.html

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Wade needs more of those remarks.

Everyone thinks they can do a better job than this coaching staff, and Wade needs to put them in their place.

And I'm not even a supporter of Wade as HC

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;3086893 said:

Everyone thinks they can do a better job than this coaching staff, and Wade needs to put them in their place.

I agree. He needs to beat them down every once in a while.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Felix looks very Tentative, weather it's the brace or his knee is still bothering him, I can see why he hasn't gotten carries and might be replaced on Kickoffs, he hasn't earned it yet.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

Well it's not only that, but:

1) Wade says something, the media just rights down whatever they thought they heard and then try to hold him to that, when he actually said something different.

2) He does have the right to change his mind. It's not like he has to stick with whatever he told the press.

YAKUZA

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Running the football is a lot like shooting in basketball. Its difficult to come right off the bench and knock down shots. He needs to be fed the ball more than once in a blue moon. Hell give it to him two times in a row. Felix at 90% is still an explosive back. Too bad we'll never know because our Ivy league educated coordinator is doing his very best to **** up one of the most talented offenses in the league.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AmishCowboy;3086898 said:
Felix looks very Tentative, weather it's the brace or his knee is still bothering him, I can see why he hasn't gotten carries and might be replaced on Kickoffs, he hasn't earned it yet.

He looks different. It doesn't look so much tentative to me as 'slow.' I'm used to him getting outside or upfield so fast and then bending around pursuit almost effortlessly; he looks now like he's running into tacklers, but he's not limping or hobbling. He looks like a different back right now.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
This is why I said this this morning...

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3086111&postcount=19

Jagger and his crew are just morons using the coach of the Cowboys as a prop to try to make themselves look cute. I used to be hard on the guys on the Ticket, but they look like hard-hitting journalists compared to this clown show.

If I were Wade, I'd tell Jerry he can do the show from now on if these buffoons are going to be the ones asking the questions. It's not like anyone interested in sports is listening to this show anyway.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3086890 said:
BY Scott Crisp // 5 hours ago

Audio podcast: http://podcast.1053thefan.com/krldf/2067571.mp3

With a presumably increased role in the offense, as his knee continues to heal, Felix Jones appeared for a few moments last week, to be out as the Cowboys' kick returner.

Wade Phillips seemed to say as much in a late week press conference. Apparently not though.

Jones fielded Green Bay's first two kickoffs, giving way to rookie Kevin Ogletree on the third. Ogletree's was the longest run-back, grabbing 22 yards. This could signal, once more, and for real this time, a change in kick-return personnel; what it does not signal--and I want to be clear on this--is that Wade Phillips flip-flopped.

The head coach, on 105.3 The Fan's The Jagger Show Wednesday morning, took time from discussing his polite but obvious disagreement with a slew of calls on Sunday to point out that he hadn't said that Felix Jones wouldn't return kicks; he said that Jones wouldn't return kicks if he was heavily involved in the offense.

Of course, he wasn't; Jason Garrett made sure of it. Which makes Jones' being utilized in the return game explainable, and--again, let's be clear--exonerates Phillips completely from charges of flip-flopping.

"I didn't flip-flop at all," Phillips said. "I said we were working other guys. Because if we were going to use Felix more in ballgames, I didn't want him back on kickoffs as much. We didn't use him as much this game (Green Bay), so we used him as a kick returner. I didn't say [he wouldn't return kicks] though.

"You know," Phillips said finally, "listening is a skill."

http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-star/Phillips-Listening-Is-A-Skill-70378657.html

what i liked is what wade did after that remark, listening is a skill. In regards to the reporter having a picture of wade up on his website on thefan105.3 with no pants on that a fan sent in. Which is saying really that wade got caught with his pants down in the green bay game, that wade said after listening is a skill that he guessed he caught the reporter with his pants down.

wade needs to do that and put them in their place sometimes. Just like the reporter kept asking him to talk about the refs, wade told him that it is a fine to the coaches and they have to pay it out of their own money, if the coaches talks about a ref.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
That was really funny. Wade played it well, they hit him straight with the questions and jokes. I would take people that are real and upfront then fake and backstabbing. I can’t stand to hear an interview where they kiss their butt and then off the air rip into them. Good stuff.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score

I think 105.3 is very disrespectful to the head coach. I am glad to see him standing up for himself.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3086962 said:
This is why I said this this morning...

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3086111&postcount=19

Jagger and his crew are just morons using the coach of the Cowboys as a prop to try to make themselves look cute. I used to be hard on the guys on the Ticket, but they look like hard-hitting journalists compared to this clown show.

If I were Wade, I'd tell Jerry he can do the show from now on if these buffoons are going to be the ones asking the questions. It's not like anyone interested in sports is listening to this show anyway.

They are a morning zoo radio show.

They don't know any better. Wade should not be talking to them once a week. At least let the guy talk to Newy and Richie.

Once the three of those morons start laughing at something said that isn't funny whatsoever I wanna puke.

21Savage

newnationcb
Reaction score
dcfanatic;3087186 said:
They are a morning zoo radio show.

They don't know any better. Wade should not be talking to them once a week. At least let the guy talk to Newy and Richie.

Once the three of those morons start laughing at something said that isn't funny whatsoever I wanna puke.

I totally agree with you that the show is garbage, they are morons and Wade shouldn't be subjected to that.

But the part in your blog where you said Wade didn't handle it well................. well, that's just your agenda speaking

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Hypnotoad;3087066 said:
I think 105.3 is very disrespectful to the head coach. I am glad to see him standing up for himself.

It's not just them. It's EVERYONE. (myself included)

Everyone thinks this staff is so terrible and everyone thinks they have the answers for this team whenever something doesn't go exactly as planned.

Well, we're not coaching for a reason, and they ARE coaching for a reason. When the media fires at Wade or Garrett for something and it's a stupid question, they need to let them know why're they're coaching the best professional football team around and we're all just along for the ride.

The Belichick/Ferentz motto: Treat the media like they're the enemy.