Need a 1975 type draft

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
The Cowboys finished 1974 with an 8-8 record. That was it for the likes of Lilly, Bob Hayes, Cornell Green , Manders, Garrison, Niland and Calvin Hill. The media and most of us fans thought our team was in trouble. But not so. Brandt, Tex Schramm and Landry drafted what became known as the "dirty dozen." Twelve rookies that were part of the 1975 team that went to the Super Bowl. Twelve rooks that would help a lot.

The Cowboys starting tonight need a like draft. A lot of players that make the team and contribute. Very few misses. They need that just to get back to the 2023 talent level. So, the opportunity presents itself. But are there guys calling the shots tonight as capable and perhaps as lucky as Gil, Tex and Tom? I doubt it.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I don't know the college players. I don't know what names they should or shouldn't draft. I know this, not getting a QB early and kicking the can down the road for all eternity isn't going to work.

mrmojo

Reaction score
It would have also help to make some pre draft trades... I believe the Craig Morton trade netted us another first round draft pick (Randy White was 1A and Tom Henderson 1B)....

fivetwos

Reaction score
They had two first round picks…as they did in the two other best drafts in team history…1991 and 2005.

I know many are holding out hope for a miracle draft, but it’s not going to happen.

Jipper

Reaction score
They had two first round picks…as they did in the two other best drafts in team history…1991 and 2005.

I know many are holding out hope for a miracle draft, but it’s not going to happen.
A miracle is exactly what they need and very rare hence why it's a miracle....but it could technically happen

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Every team wants players that can come in and make an impact. Good teams might hit on what 50% or so of their drafted players.

fivetwos

Reaction score
A miracle is exactly what they need and very rare hence why it's a miracle....but it could technically happen
Not as if I’m trying to pile on when things aren’t so great, but if you take a look at the draft history of any team, it’s tough to find more than 1.5-2 quality starters when drafting late without extra picks.

If they continue to insist on draft only to improve, they should at least formulate a real plan over some time to trade back, and/or trade players for picks….but I don’t think that’s what they are doing.

I think they believe that they are extraordinarily great at drafting and the yes men at the table validate that. The recent results prove otherwise and we will see it on the field before long.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
With all the info available to teams, analytics, etc that’ll never happen again.

Nice to dream big though :starspin:

Jipper

Reaction score
Not as if I’m trying to pile on when things aren’t so great, but if you take a look at the draft history of any team, it’s tough to find more than 1.5-2 quality starters when drafting late without extra picks.

If they continue to insist on draft only to improve, they should at least formulate a real plan over some time to trade back, and/or trade players for picks….but I don’t think that’s what they are doing.

I think they believe that they are extraordinarily great at drafting and the yes men at the table validate that. The recent results prove otherwise and we will see it on the field before long.
I am not optimistic in any stretch...and i would love to see some trade back and trade players for the long run...agree don't think thats what they are doing.

this is a wet sandwich of a draft

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We don’t have a dozen picks. Another dirty dozen isn’t possible.

Motorola

Reaction score
The Cowboys finished 1974 with an 8-8 record. That was it for the likes of Lilly, Bob Hayes, Cornell Green , Manders, Garrison, Niland and Calvin Hill. The media and most of us fans thought our team was in trouble. But not so. Brandt, Tex Schramm and Landry drafted what became known as the "dirty dozen." Twelve rookies that were part of the 1975 team that went to the Super Bowl. Twelve rooks that would help a lot.

The Cowboys starting tonight need a like draft. A lot of players that make the team and contribute. Very few misses. They need that just to get back to the 2023 talent level. So, the opportunity presents itself. But are there guys calling the shots tonight as capable and perhaps as lucky as Gil, Tex and Tom? I doubt it.
Just as much need to happen - players that been on with the team 1-3 seasons in whatever role (53 active \ 46 game day \ practice squad) improve enough to become significant contributors in 2024.

Staubacher

Reaction score

They made it to the Superbowl because they had Roger Staubach. There ain't a draft good enough to carry number four