Nerdy old Macintosh project

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Check out this screen shot:

Toms_Old_Mac.png

Is that from an old Macintosh that I bought in about 1985? Not at all. That's from my my current Linux Mint/KDE machine. It is classic Mac OS 7, however. It's just running on my Linux Mint PC. I remember those old machines and how expensive they were compared to getting an IBM clone. Turns out you can download a file named MinivMac (for Linux) or MinivMac.exe (for Windows) and then run a thing called vMac.ROM, plus an old Mac OS and you've got the imitation of an obsolete Mac from the 80s. I'm nerdy enough to think this is fun. You can also download virtualized disks of obsolete Mac software. It's pretty cool. Here's a video by a guy who's taken it one step further. With a Raspberry Pi and a three-D printer, he's re-created a miniaturized version of an old Mac. Pretty cool and ingenious.

The link

Blows my mind what's possible. A computer like that in the mid 80s would have run around 4K in 80s dollars.

What would be really cool would be if you could set this up to choose between Mac OS 7 or an old version of DOS. Back in the 80s, I wasn't a Mac user. I used CP/M and later MS-DOS and ran WordStar. Would be cool if this Raspberry Pi mini PC could boot and let you choose between DOS or Mac and then run ancient software.